Prevx detection rate (again)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ako, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ako

ako Registered Member

Dear Marco,

Will the PrevxR-community be closed after july 2008, or are we after that still helping you to beta test something new you are now developing?

2. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

What Marco said about the updates.....aint gonna bother quoting him.

The thing about the updates brings me back to what I said about people still having their minds in traditional antivirus mode when looking at Prevx. They are so used to definition updates being pushed down all the time and when they dont see it in Prevx they think something is amiss. From what I was able to gather in my research before I bought it is that the agent on our computers is only a small part of how the program works and the main part is on their end. So if there hasn't been updates on our end then that just means that whats on our end isnt having any issues which is what I want.

I seen someplace when I was researching it where someone compared it to the Borg. Our end is the drones and their end is the Queen hive.

Thanks Marcos for jumping in and answering some of our questions. It certainly gave me some more insight into how Prevx works and makes it a bit easier when I get questions when I recommend the program to someone.

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I know you meant well, but it's not exactly the best example! :D

4. Threedog

Notice I said I seen where someone compared it to the Borg. :D

But unless your computer's name is Enterprise or Picard or Janeway you should be allright.

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, just to confirm one of my deepest disappointments re Prevx's detection behavior:

Someone reported at Prevx's official forum at Castlecops that Prevx has flagged newest version of Winpatrol (released few days ago).

I have said before that Prevx is powerless if its databases does not have that info on file; this sort of PASSIVE approach has since made me very uncomfortable.

Their detective work is collectively built on informant's' feed backs, sort of like this: I can not tell you, because I do not have it at his moment. No wonder Prevx has MATURED, going no-where , sad, Indeed.

We need something better than its present form. Improve it or done with it. IMO

6. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Wrong. Deep down inside many critical system files are virtually indistinguishable from malware if you look at behavior alone. Any competent behavior-based software depend on a whitelist to stop them from killing the OS and related components, and I seriously doubt Prevx is any exception.

The reason for not scanning all files is not because Prevx doesn't have to okay them, it's for the reasons mentioned by EraserHW earlier.

7. solcroft

In any case your personal disappointment seems to have amplified the magnitude of the problem hundredfold for you. One FP is hardly justifiable cause for the gloom and doom you proclaim.

8. Threedog

I was thinking more along the lines of non-system files when I was talking about the scanning of all files. Your pictures folder for example.

9. Threedog

You must also be dissapointed with Kaspersky, Perman, as in that thread at Castlecops, Kaspersky is also flagging Winpatrol.

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

HI,

yes, one f.P. is a drop , single, small, tiny , meaningless, some would argue, but

Prevx's performance IS built on millions/millions of users' feedback!, how wrong and how wild are those data, eh?

As to KAV's performance, it does not have millions informants, f.p. is a daily routine, no surprise.

11. solcroft

So one FP supposedly makes all those millions of users' feedback "wrong" and "wild"?

Perman, you are grasping at nothing but straws here, and wildly twisting this one single incident so as to make it fit your own inferences. The sooner you realize that, the better, I think.

Now that's a convenient excuse if I ever saw one!

12. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

So, it's better than Kaspersky, and because it's better, it has to be improved or get rid of it?

That's...confusing.

13. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

If some one has millions/millions of information at his disposal, still makes a mistake of this sort, I do not think it is not a non-serious matter. Somehow, somewhere the foundation is cracking, leaking.

This simple incident has demonstrated that these highly acclaimed defense apparatus are not so mighty as they have claimed; flagging a popular app with so many users. Did these many informants get out of bed on the wrong side ?

After all, it is a failure on their part. Perhaps just a tip of an iceberg.

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

There was no comparision made here between these two apps, I just simply highlight/amplify the significance of f.p. of this sort.

To improve it or done(die) with it, is NOT my worry, but rather my concern.
    Hoping no confusion created here.

15. solcroft

A mistake is a mistake is a mistake. It has nothing to do with how many "millions" of information a vendor has. It's like saying an academician who's the best in his field, is not allowed to so much as make one spelling mistake in his whole lifetime.

Since it's obvious you're bent on pursuing your own agenda regarding this single incident, this will be my last reply on the matter.

16. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

Whether is your last or never post IS not my concern. You may have twisted my original points to your favor. :(

Prevx has something other vendors do not posses, that is its vast, massive databases fed by millions,millions users(they have claimed this). When an application with this sort of resource STILL makes a mistake of this sort just can not be overlooked lightly.

Yes, a mistake is A mistake. However some are excusable, some just need a lot excuses to be excused. Hoping my points are rather clear by now.

17. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

If you are a virus it is... I wonder what analogy in the real world actually feeds on viruses?

18. Hermescomputers

Touché!

19. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

In any case, i don't want to be Borg'ed. They don't save your bacon, they slave your bacon.

20. Hermescomputers

Real World Exemple: Billgatus of Borg.... = We've all been assimilated! :D

Been a slave technical janitor cleaning up The "Messy" Microsoft OS'es and taking out it's garbage ever since! :argh:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.