Prevx also protects against LNK vulnerability

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by trjam, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ trjam

Hi, be nice if it was confirmed ;)

I'm not so sure that Prevx blocks ALL .lnk exploits ?

See the comments towards the end, replies Still waiting to be answered !

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

We don't block the .lnk itself (as it is a fundamental feature within the OS, not actually something discretely malicious) but any malicious file executing from the exploit will be blocked (but features like Control Panel applets that legitimately use the function will not be blocked :))

4. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

That's good to know. If you want to block the exploit now, Hitman Pro has a temporay fix. A Microsoft update to fix the vulnerability is planned for Monday.

In my experience a lot of PCs have software installed which contain known vulnerabilities. You can find and patch these using PSI from Secunia (which I use regularly). But there could also be many unknown vulnerabilities. And its for zero day exploits of these that Prevx and its heuristics is very useful layer for blocking. Its not perfect but what is.

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ PrevxHelp

Sounds good to me :thumb:

6. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

how do you do that?

7. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

We're able to identify files specifically loading from the exploit's code path using behavior monitoring functions that were built in the 3.0.5.x line. We also did develop a specific patch for our larger Enterprise clients but have not made it available for complete public use, awaiting Microsoft's official patch (due out tomorrow I believe) but we were the first to distribute a "real" patch (not a suggestion that just disables all of the icons of shortcuts on the system :)).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.