Prevx 3 SHUTS DOWN in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by modeltdesign, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. modeltdesign

modeltdesign Registered Member

I'm running Windows 7 and Prevx appears to run perfectly alongside Antivir 9 Premium Suite. I have both programs configured to ignore each other, and Prevx is allowed through the Firewall with no restrictions.

Everything appears to be perfect, except that every 12 hours or so Prevx 3 very politely pops up a green box [for about 10 seconds] and then simply shuts itself off, as the icon changes from a green dot, to a red dot, and then poof it closes itself and the icon disappears from the tray.

This is my 4th email, I've been trying the "tech" email on the website
    [and on my software link] since Sunday but nobody appears to be there.

It appears that this is my only other option for contacting Prevx, and if I
    don't hear back from someone by this weekend, I'm considering asking for a refund. I mean, if there isn't any actual tech support, why bother?

MT

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    I found the message you wrote into the customer support inbox - it was entirely mis-assigned which caused it to get lost. Sorry for the delay and annoyance :(

I'll respond here to benefit everyone else in case anyone does have the same problem. We currently have not had any other similar complaints so we may need to do a bit of debugging to try and diagnose the issue.

Could you first click Tools > Save Scan Results and email the scan log to report@prevxresearch.com so we can see if there is some software-level incompatibility. Then can you please run:

sc query pxsec

in a command prompt and let us know what the driver status is. If it reads Running then I suspect something has gone wrong in the installation. In this case, please try downloading our removal tool from http://info.prevx.com/download.asp?grab=csiuninstalltool.

Run this tool and then reboot your computer and re-download the newest version of Prevx 3.0 (still v3.0.1.65) from http://info.prevx.com/downloadcsi.asp and install it again.

Let me know what you find or if you have any questions and again I'm sorry for the delayed response.

3. modeltdesign

Re: Prevx 3 SHUTS DOWN in Windows 7 UPDATE!!!

Hi! Well, I uninstalled with the tool you sent me, and reinstalled with admin rights the newest version. I have a perfectly running install of Windows 7 RC, and the install "appears" perfect, again.

Unfortunately, once again it appears NOT to be compatible with Windows 7 or Antivir Premium 9, and about twice a day it just changes from green to red, and then shuts down, with NO warning, no notices, just gone.

I've seen what your software can do it's great, and I see where it's sold as 100% compatible with Windows 7. Unfortunately it appears that you have issues with people who run additional programs like Antivir Premium [which is set to stay out of the way of Prevx and gives you an unrestricted firewall setting].

Too bad, I love the low resource requirements of your program, I hate
    to have to go back to something like Webroot for Spy/Malware protection.

4. thathagat

thathagat Guest

Re: Prevx 3 SHUTS DOWN in Windows 7 UPDATE!!!

AFAIK unfortunately webroot spy sweeper currently does not support win 7....see here..http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consumer-products-spysweeper.html

5. PrevxHelp

The Windows 7 RC is still build number 7100 and we are fully compatible with that build (I'm using it here as we speak :))

I haven't tried higher builds yet but I'm surprised that you're having this harsh of compatibility issues as we haven't heard any other complaints like this.

If you'd be willing, myself or one of our other engineers can assist you remotely to see if there is some subtle issue that is causing the problem. If interested, let me know and I'll schedule a time for you.

6. modeltdesign

Re: Prevx 3 STILL SHUTS DOWN in Windows 7

Since you prefer this forum to private email...

As someone involved with deploying Win 95, Win98 [I avoided the ME release], 2000, NT and finally XP in the late 90's, I would be glad to supply you with just about anything you desire EXCEPT remote access to my personal PC. I have 6 towers here, this is the one machine that is totally off limits to strangers. I hope you can understand my feelings on this.

I will have the Partner RTM build on this machine the MORNING that it is available. Once that final retail build is up and running, we will see what happens [since it will be a NEW install from scratch]. If that install acts up and/or has further issues with my companion Antivirus [not necessarily Antivir] and you still can't resolve it, I would appreciate a refund at that time.

Is this acceptable?

I do have one more question. I own licenses for both Kaspersky Security Suite, and Norton 2010 when it deploys later in the year, will your software work with either of these suites? I really like both of them too and once 2010 is available in a stable version I may switch right back to Norton. I've been running Antivir primarily because it's stable, it requires little resources and it's available now for Win7, Norton is in between betas right now and the Kaz Technical Build for Win7 is a nightmare.

One interesting note... As you can see in the graphic there are 2 icons, a green one and a red one. Moments before the second red icon appeared a green popup arrived on the lower right corner of my desktop with a green status report, then this. When you swipe your mouse over the tray both icons disappear, since the program shut off the moment the second icon appeared.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  7. PrevxHelp

Re: Prevx 3 STILL SHUTS DOWN in Windows 7

Sure, that's understandable.

Yes, that's fine.

We design our software to be fully compatible with all other security solutions. Granted, its hard to guarantee compatibility with software which is not released yet, but we will be working adamantly if there are any issues which prevent us from working alongisde Norton 2010/Kaspersky 2010.

Thank you for the information. I will be responding to you via email with a few things which you may be able to try to see if it could clear up anything.

8. modeltdesign

Re: Prevx 3 SHUTS DOWN in Windows 7, ditto, ditto...

This morning when I checked my machine I was greeted with something different, instead of 2 dead icons [a red and a green one] I was greeted with only one red one, so this new version of the program was still running at some level, it just wasn't protecting me. It was simply turned off [example 1, attached].

So, when I clicked on the Icon, I was surprised that the program actually opened [instead of a disappearing icon] and I was greeted with "System Status: Caution - Protection Disabled" [example 2 also attached].

When I clicked on the blue "Enable Monitoring" button, the program popped up a serious looking box telling me the system required rebooting to enable the database, and less than 1/2 second later it mysteriously turned green, and looked perfect? Suddenly I guess it didn't need to reboot? Whatever the case it suddenly "appeared" to be working again.

Of course this doesn't really help at all, the software had still shut itself down for no reason and was completely inactive. But at least it was still running, even though it had disabled itself.

One concern I'd like to note. Since I've installed your software the Avira has discovered several dozen browser nasties trying to either run, or install on my machine and also discovered a couple of items on the system it didn't like, prompting me to remove them. Your software from moment one has never discovered anything at all, even during 5 scans, not a whiff. I have no idea if your software is doing anything, since it's never fired up once, it just shows a tray icon, which makes me wonder if it is really running at all? Is Avira so good that your software never sees anything? Or, is your software not running anything other than an icon? I've seen your software work on reviews, and YouTube videos, I know it does something, just not for me at least so far. Well, it does do one thing well, it disables itself.

I'm not being sarcastic, I'm just telling you what I've seen so far. At least this new version doesn't completely shut itself off, it just disables itself.
    MT

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  9. modeltdesign

Sorry, almost forgot the graphics showing first that they tray was red, and second that the software was once again, disabled but still running?

Or was it?

Also, I tried clicking on the "Realtime Infection Monitoring" link first, but it was still set on the default settings and looked normal, even though it has a yellow marker in the graphic. Only then did I click on the "Realtime Protection" link and was greeted with a black pop-up, instantly disappearing and showing the software was once again running normally. Or was it?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  10. PrevxHelp

I suspect there is still some fundamental incompatibility in your system (possibly because of the build of Windows 7 which you're using) which is causing the scanning/protection to not function properly.

Could you check if you have two prevx.exe processes? One should be loaded under the SYSTEM account under the service name "CSIScanner" and one should be under the user account.

11. modeltdesign

RESOLVED, it was the order of install!

First, Let me say this...

Prevx 3.0 is a WONDERFUL product and the trouble I've had working with it was, in the end, NOT at all Prevx's fault!

As the technician told me several days ago [and I wasn't convinced] it was in the end, related to my companion virus software [in my case Antivir Premium Security Suite 9] and my original install of that program.

How did I find Prevx?
    I was running Antivir for about a month, after Norton dumped their pre NIS 9 for Windows 7, and I was forced to change. Anitir is a great proactive Virus program, but when it comes to Spyware/Adware/Driveby's/Rootkits, much like Norton, it's not that safe. Since I work on the Internet for a living I've been searching for a Great tool to keep me secure and free from the crap that is just waiting to attack my browser at every turn.

I tried Webroot [great about 5 years ago], and 4 other Spyware Utilities, most of them have migrated into Adware/Toolbars as bad or worse than the things they "say" they protect you from. It was only by a twist of faith that I ran across Prevx on one of the non "sponsered" Adware websites with an actual independent review that was amazing. Since it takes almost no resources and it's one of the most secure programs on the planet using a constantly updated database online to check against new problems, Prevx is a lifesaver, and it's compatible with almost every traditional Virus utility, perfect to run as a second shield of protection.

The problem I was having was that when I installed Prevx, it would work for 1/2 a day, and turn itself off. Pretty strange stuff, and even though the Prevx support team has to be one of the best experiences I've ever had online, I just couldn't figure it out. I installed and re-installed Prevx several times, always the same results in the end.

In the end it was actually the Antivir restricting the Prevx while it was installing, something transparent that you couldn't see, that was causing the problem. Once I removed the Antivir, then installed the Prevx on a CLEAN machine, I was able to reinstall the Antivir and both programs are working PERFECTLY now.

So, when you install Prevx on your machine you might want to make sure that either your Primary Virus Utility [if you are using one] is either turned off during install and/or disabled, or you might want to do a fresh install of it AFTER installing Prevx 3. That was the key for me, and if I had listened to the Prevx tech people they mentioned this the second time I spoke with them, I just didn't follow through.

Finally, I just want to thank the guys at Prevx technical support for all of their help the past week, and assure everybody reading this that they were relentless in helping me fix a problem, that in the end was not even theirs. Thanks again!

MT

12. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Re: RESOLVED, it was the order of install!

I am running Avira 9 Free on XP x64 and have had no problems installing PrevX with it active, so it may only be a problem when running Avira on Win7, or something to do with Avira Premium.

13. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

Didnt notice this thread until now.

I had this problem sometimes under Vista Ultimate - but, oddly enough, never under Win 7 RC.

I believe at the time, I ran A2 full version and / or Avira in realtime. Perhaps its the combination that is the issue.

Right now, all I have is Prevx - even disabled defender - and no issues of this nature at all.

Puss

14. PrevxHelp

We're making some fundamental changes under-the-hood for this next release of Prevx 3.0 which should help prevent these issues.

However, for now, the workaround which modeltdesign outlines seems to do the trick consistently :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.