prevx 3 does not include prevx 2 alert messages, i think..or does it?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by brainiac, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brainiac

brainiac Registered Member

Does prevx 3 have the prevx 2 feature where it will popup a box whenever a program starts, and it lets you know whenever a program is sending an HTTP request? If not why? That was a really useful thing. A personal sleuth for your computer--made catching programs that surreptitiously 'phoned home' easy to spot.

2. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

No-one answering you :p
    I'll give it a shot: :)
    Short answer: No.

The PrevX 3.xx implementation is meant to be automatic and you are effectively handing over 'all' decisions to the cloud implementation for PX to decide. Your interaction is now related to the security sliders for settings.

There are multiple posts here and there in the PrevX forums about the loss of this feature and the 'granular control' features of PX 2.xx.
    Many users liked it A LOT :shifty: ;)
    Useful as you point out for "wtf is going on here' and what's connecting.
    Useful for info, logging and education, difficult for some installations and required a lot of user interaction for the pop-ups: which in some cases may have led to 'Click fatigue' and enduser [default : allow] behaviour or turning off/down PX security settings which is then fairly typically associated with malware installations.

The 'philosophy' has moved away from that as being potentially destructive and dangerous.
    (IE: overall PX is better at spotting issues than most endusers and the cloud implementation is a very effective accumulation of knowledge.)

Similar functionality is achieved with the 'sliders' but less pop-ups I think, but I havent really played with it much yet: might be time now to do so in a vm.
    ( I am happy to be corrected )

There were some vaguely positive responses from PX about reinstituting an "Advanced Configuration" option, but little to show so far and development has obviously been focussed on the newer web safety features.

Heh: I'm still using PX 2.xx as active monitor and have the set-up screwed down tightly, but have PX3 installed as a scanner. No issues here so far. I appreciate that sounds a bit daft, but I have found it hard to give up my pop-ups LOL.
    I have been advised that the PX2 implementation is not as effective as the PX3+ software.

There is no doubt that PX3.xx is a very good tool, but I'm with you. :)

@PX Help how was that ?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  3. Jeroen1000

Jeroen1000 Registered Member

Hmm I like a lot of options too. Thinks like, achive depth scanning, report only, choose which settings to password protect etc etc ...

I'm not hiding that I'm a fan of the number of setting Eset gives to users. I'm with you guys too:D

4. brainiac

brainiac Registered Member

I've seen this kind of like behavior from some firewalls. But once you allow or dissalow the program or process to run or not to run thier messages stop.

I liked having prevx2 continually show me what was starting and stopping. It is a little annoying for some programs, but on those, I make a decision to turn them off.

Is there anything out there that has this functionality and that can run on windows 2003 server, Vista, XP?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.