Preventing reinfection after format with USB

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by tommyp, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tommyp

tommyp Registered Member

Hi!

First and foremost I am not sure if this is the right place to post for this. If so, forgive me and please do point me to the right place.

I have a problem. My PC was infected with a lot of malware, unknown and known. I put all my personal files on several USBs (500gb, 16gb, 4gb). Now I want to put those back on my computer. And here is the problem!

How do I stop malware getting into my PC as soon as I put in my USB? I am not sure about the ways malware can get into the PC through USB but I have heard and read about two ways: 1) Autorun.inf 2) .LNK exploit. Is it just those or are there more I should worry about?

The second is easy to solve, just update to latest Windows updates. What do I do about the first one in Windows 7? I have disabled autorun and all that through Control Panel, but is this it? Also how can I later see if the USB had any malware at all (to be sure my camera etc is not infected).

I already checked one of the USBs with Live Ubuntu. I ticked "Show hidden files" and looked for Autorun.inf on the USB - nothing was found.

Last but not least: What would you guys do after a format to make sure your files are not infected? Of course I will run a virus scan on them asap!

Please advise!

2. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

What is your OS?

3. tommyp

tommyp Registered Member

Win 7

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Install a good antivirus on your system after OS installation. Before transferring data from USB to computer, scan USB with antivirus to remove known malware. You can use multiple tools for better results:

1. Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool (9.0.0.722) (Free)
    2. Emsisoft Emergency Kit (1.0) (Free)
    3. Dr.Web Cureit (Free)
    4. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free)

Download above tools on your computer. Scan your USBs and clean found infection. Then transfer data to your computer.

5. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Before inserting any USB drive into your PC, install Panda USB vaccine, and Vaccinate your PC. Also, set it to automatically vaccinate any USB drive. Can't tell you how many times this tool has saved my brother's PC since he is very much into sharing stuff with friends via USB drives.

Once the USB drive has been successfully vaccinated, scan with tools outlined by 'Boyfriend'. I would suggest starting with Emsisoft though. Has consistently high detection rates.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  6. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

Nifty tool :)
    How is the ntfs support?

7. dr pan k

dr pan k Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.