Preventing browser fingerprinting

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Floyd 57, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Lyx

Lyx Registered Member

I think fingerprint is not intrinsically a problem. It becomes a problem only when it makes possible to render you traceable, particularly cross session.

So, the main point is to become less traceable (or traceable only with adjustable levels of difficulty), whatever your "fingerpritability" could be.

And there are 2 ways to try to reach this goal: the static way, and the dynamic way.

In the static (or low entropy) way, you try to display the same fingerprint than many others people. In that sense, being seen as unique is bad. The best way to achieve this "low entropy" goal is to use the Tor Browser on the Tor network.

In the dynamic (or high entropy) way, you try to becomes "someone else" for each browser sessions, ie for each browsing session, you (ideally) try to change all your browser's displayed characteristics. In this case, being seen as unique is not a problem. At the contrary, it's something desirable: That a test site achieves to correlate you cross session, and so, achieves to see you as not unique, simply means that your attempts to becomes "someone else" for each session miserably failed and that you are traceable cross session (at least by this precise test site, and by any other site using the same tracking techniques). This way is the path that eg Brave Devs are trying to take.

2. Socio

Socio Registered Member

I think the latter, the dynamic (or high entropy) way is the only feasible way to go about it, where you have different browser profiles, with a combination of different spoofed fingerprint settings, that connect to a different proxy or VPN location per profile and set so all data accrued during a browsing session, cookies, history etc... is wiped at every browser close, this way you will be unique but never appear as the same user.

3. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

You might also be interested in this discussion.

4. Floyd 57

Floyd 57 Registered Member

I use a windows compiled version for ungoogled chromium https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium (u won't find a windows version in the downloads), and yet, even with user agent randomizers (what ultrablock seemingly does), changing my VPN, i am still detected by the fingerprinting js demo. I forgot to clear cookies so maybe that's it? Or maybe firefox really is that privacy-resistant. I was able to achieve it with Tor Browser but not with the windows compiled build of ungoogle chromium that i use for everything

5. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

If we consider chrome-based browsers some forum members will have noticed that currently only the JShelter extension:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jshelter/ammoloihpcbognfddfjcljgembpibcmb?ucbcb=1

with anti-fingerprint feature has an active and updated development compared to all other extensions with similar functionality.
    Other extensions have disappeared (example Cydec) or are out of date for the current year.
    With the arrival of this Easter, if I have more free time, I would like to make a test with this extension.

6. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

This extension looks promising. Hope it sticks around. Installed it quickly here on Edge and this was the result with default settings.

upload_2022-4-13_10-54-46.png

7. Sampei Nihira

8. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

9. Sampei Nihira

I did not insert the test canvas but WEBRTC.;)
    When reloading the page the ID values change.

But it's a big problem that some websites (potentially) can't function.
    The hard part is ferreting out the legitimate ones that might malfunction.;):thumb:

10. nicolaasjan

nicolaasjan Registered Member

11. Sampei Nihira

Even with JShelter you can get a different signature if you close/open the browser and do the test.
    It is not good to use an extension with development stopped in 2020.

12. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Trace hasn't been updated since about June 2021, but it still works for me. I see no reason to dump it in Chromium based browsers as yet.

13. Bertazzoni

Bertazzoni Registered Member

FYI: I contacted the developer some time ago re: updates and MV3, and he said he's too busy to do any development, update filter lists, etc., so expect that Trace will become abandonware in the not too distant future. Some may consider that it is already.

14. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Oh, I see. It might be time to replace it after all.

Thanks for letting us know.

15. nicolaasjan

nicolaasjan Registered Member

Huh...
    CanvasBlocker was updated on Feb. 18 2022.
    And the latest commit to the source was made on Apr. 4 ;)

You're right about the other one for Chromium, but as long as it works...
    I don't use (Ungoogled) Chromium that much.

16. Sampei Nihira

17. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

I've installed JShelter. It's a powerful extension. I've immediately noticed that some web-sites are loading slower, and(!) I could not get Disqus comment section/s.
    In addition, JShelter prevents me from visiting AmIUnique web-site; therefore, I've switched back to Canvas Blocker.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  18. Sampei Nihira

Hi,
    can you provide a link to check Disqus comments?

Also for me AmIUnique is unreachable......but also with JShelter deactivated.

19. zmechys

Check any Disqus comment sections.

Last edited: May 3, 2022
  20. Sampei Nihira

You can put disqus.com in Manage Whitelist then see that it works.:thumb:;):)

21. zmechys

No, I truly think it has NOTHING to do with any whitelists.
    When I use JShelter and need to pass Google's verification, I can't get to the screen with pictures to identify.
    When I use JShelter I can't replace/upload my Avatar, etc...

I think JShelter is a serious extensions but not for my everyday Internet routine.

22. Sampei Nihira

:thumb:
    We can't all use the same things.:)

23. Sampei Nihira

It is interesting to note the Fingeprint activity of some websites,thanks to the JShelter extension.
    It is also interesting to note that in some cases,for example McDonald's, the Italian website has no fingerprint activity while the English language website has very high fingenprint activity:

Amazon = Moderate

Amazon.jpg

eBay = High

ebay.jpg

McDonald's.com = Very High

MDE.jpg

McDonald's Italy = None

MDI.jpg

24. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

at least this is opinion of jshelter, it do not have to meet the reality. in special case of ebay ofc ebay is PITA when blocking this or that. thats why i whitelisted a lot of it in uBo and block the rest with umatrix. firefox do the rest.

25. Sampei Nihira

No.
    I subjected JShelter to all the fingeprinting tests.
    Only 2 tests had problems but they were fixed after my report.
    So it is possible to conclude that JShelter will do the same job in all websites where it encounters the same fingerprints.

It is also possible to conclude that websites with fingeprinting techniques NOT detected by JShelter (example ClientRects Finteprinting or Fonts Fingeprinting) are even more numerous than those detected by JShelter.

You talk about opinions.
    For me, the opinion of Giorgio Maone (one of the developers of JS) is equal to that of Mr.Hill.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.