Prefetch is Supposed to Be Super Important for Performance, Right?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Re: Be accurate

Perfectdisk here and how else would a decent defragger work out your most recently used.

Yep some reg tweaks are useless and achieve nothing.
    Thinning XP is a different story.
    20 sec smart placement defrags.AV scans under a minute and ghost images under 600 meg which take around 2 mins are some of the benefits of following Bold Fortunes guide on slimming XP.

As for the "Ccleaner - cripples" comparison it is completely uncalled for and you should edit "your" bullshite xp myths site.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2007
  2. Mastertech

Mastertech Registered Member

Where is the link to the documentation stating this? Windows already defrags and lays out "the most recently used" to improve performance using prefetching and the built-in disk defragmenter. Even with Perfectdisk or Diskeeper installed this is still functioning. Thought Perfectdisk can take over the defrag portion of prefetching and it references the layout.ini file for the most recently used.

U-huh, uninstall all your applications and uninstall all windows components and WOW AV scans are short! Are you serious? The same with Ghost Images - please. The prefetching defrags take place when the system is idle and the time it takes varies with the files it needs to layout and their current location, if they are already layed out then it takes no time but this is irrelevant because this all happens when the system is IDLE and you are not using it anyway. Who cares how long this takes? The reasons you are recommending following Bold's bad advice holds no water.

BTW Windows XP already does "smart placement defrags" that is part of prefetching.

I will say it again cutting Windows and your application loads in half is CRIPPLING their load times. The only thing bullshit is all your "facts" none of which you can back up. Typical.

3. Franklin

OK, I don't condone changing the default settings of prefetch.
    The proof is in the pudding.Delete Firefox.exe, or an app you use regularly, from prefetch and time its launch.

Ah, see my point, hardly perceptible eh!

Will launch microsecs quicker with its exe in prefetch.

As for Ccleaner "CRIPPLES" what a load of nonsensical hysteria generated by a self appointed expert that feeds on paranoia.

4. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

tlu,my post #11 of this thread meaning was not that I did not read but that prefetch cleaning in unimportant to the operating of my system.If it is not broke some will tweek it until it is,lol.

5. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Wow, when I said the virtues of using prefetch would be debated, little did I know just how hot the debate would be. It still seems to me that there is no good reason to have prefetch files for programs that are not going to be run again in the prefetch folder. I appreciate getting some of the specific details about how prefetch runs - deleting down to 32 from 128. I can see that there will not be a huge impact by getting rid of them. Obviously there is some benefit for doing so, why else would window delete 96 of them periodically. Because it makes room for new files.

I guess Mastertech has no problem dismissing that there is a problem with the prefetch serving as an inventory of my computing habits and security programs and that may be the case. On the otherhand, I feel like a similar case could be made that MRU lists, and browser history, index.dat files are not a security, or privacy concern, or that Alternate Data Streams are a useful feature, or perhaps we should have all our programs automatically auto updating. My point is if it is not there it is not a liability in the way that I am concerned about. If it is there it is just one more little bundle of acorns for whoever manages to access the computer.

This notion that tweaking your computer is a silly was of time does just seem argumentative to me. Let's not forget we are dealing with a microsoft that originally had over 80 services running by default on my system when I first started using xp in 2002, and after researching the good old tweaking sites was able to bring that number to under 20. Similar gains in other tweaking areas, but it's really self evident.

Anyway, I think that my idea does not have the potential that I had hoped for achieving any performance gains. I have some concerns that it is one more way Microsoft can keep tabs on what you are running, but there are always tradeoffs.

HandsOff

6. Franklin

7. Mastertech

Foolish

First of all was this from a cold boot? Or was Firefox already loaded before deleting the file and timing. Did you use a stopwatch? Have you timed applications that take a long time to load such as large games? Each timing must be from a cold boot. I already said the timing varies based on many factors. Such as the application loading and the speed of the system it is loading on. You have no point except proving you have no idea what you are talking about. I just hope anyone else with a ounce of logic reading this will try to read and undestand how it works.

First of all it is CCleaner. And YES if you cut the application load times it half that is called CRIPPLING.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  8. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Franklin,what is up with your name calling?

9. Mastertech

Ridiculous

Will you PLEASE STOP GUESSING. The folder is cleared to save disk space period. Clearing the folder has absolutely NOTHING to do with improving performance. AND it ONLY deletes the files when it reaches the 128 limit NOT randomly. So if you never launch 128 unique applications the limit is never reached. I average around 80 files in my prefetch folder, the average person much less.

If someone accessed you computer they are going to be looking at your documents, tax returns, bank statements or whatever else that is actually USEFULL on your computer. Not what programs you loaded last night, which is also stored in the Start Menu, least of all your prefetch folder.

And what did disabling those services improve outside of Windows boot times? If you want to prove they improved one thing besides this please provide documented reproduceable tests of these claims. Look people like you who think that performing useless tweaking has to be doing something no matter the mountain of logical evidence to the contrary cannot be helped.

You "idea" has 100% NO POTENTIAL because that is not how it works. If you think the Windows Prefetching files are such a security concern please go back to Windows 2000 and enjoy the long boot times. Believe me when I tell you the Windows Client Performance Team are simply trying (apparently futile) to improve your system performance. There are much easier ways to "keep tabs" on you, then the complex nature of prefetching.

10. Mastertech

11. Mastertech

I'll Pass

I have had plenty of this "intellectually stimulating" debate with you. I don't think adding more people who do not understand how these things work to the argument will help anyone understand this better. Especially if all the reference links do not.

BTW you do realize I was banned from the CCleaner forums for recommending the Old Prefetch Data option be removed from selected as a default setting? Notice is it not a default setting anymore? Coincidence? Nope. ;)

12. Franklin

Re: Foolish

Um,with my 2 year old and slowish P4, hyper, 1gig ddr I find it a bit hard to use a stopwatch even with this Fred Flinstone model.LOL:oops:

13. Mastertech

lack of Proof

What can I say if every application, including all games on your system load in nanoseconds then maybe you should be working for a large system OEM since they are all still attempting this feat to this day. It is obvious you are not going to take this seriously. You can make any ridiculous statements you want. But I suggest you provide documented reproduceable proof on a non nlite (slimmed down) install that can be held up to scrutiny. At which time you will fail. For anyone wanting to take this seriously I can easily prove it. Instead you choose to argue and attempt to mislead others because I offended your golden idol hero AKA Bold Fortune ~snip~.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2007
  14. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Is there an alternative to CCleaner, like "TempCleaner"? Thanks

15. Franklin

Re: I'll Pass

Banned.o_O o_O o_O Are you the same that is still crapping on my fellow esteemed members of ccleaner's forum in other forums?

One loca Ccleaner poster espouses that you should only use one handle for all forums which I disagree with.

16. Mastertech

There is Cleanup! unfortunately it also has that option but it should be disabled by default too. Cleanup! however will clean all your users on your machine instead of just the active one. CCleaner outside of the one useless option is an ok program for cleaning temp files. Beside that one useless feature I never had a problem with it. I just wish the author would stop taking suggestions from tweaking hacks.

17. Mastertech

"Esteemed" members? You mean the mods who deleted all the reference links I posted and my threads explaining why that setting was useless and then banned me Trust me I have better things to do than waste my time talking about some hacks from the CCleaner forums. The only thing I talk about is that useless setting whenever it is brought up.

18. Franklin

Um, probably cause I'm just a human and I get shirty every now and then!

19. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Don't we all?lol.

20. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

CCleaner is good, i agree. I like it very much, but i like it more now that i know where i can screw it up. Then again, how can i recomend it?
    It has good warnings for other options. It should warn in this one too, or remove the option altogether. This is CrapCleaner, so why the tweaks?

Respectfully Franklin, i ask you to stop. Lets be civil.

21. Franklin

So do you negate all the benefits of Ccleaner through one selectable cleaning option [prefetch] when I would add the 2,500 files within the sys32 dllcache folder and the contents of the i386 folder for a total of over a gig.

No wonder I can do superfast scans or backups with imaging apps.

22. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

I am to lazy to read back all these post so may I ask this question.Is Ccleaner a free or paid program?

23. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Freeware, or donationware. Not free software:)

24. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Freeware.
    http://www.ccleaner.com/

25. pugmug

pugmug Registered Member

Say what?Is it free or not?Thank's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.