Pre/Post Commands..how use?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by rkruz, Oct 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

I selected the PRE/POST command Options of True Image, but there is not a selection of commands available? How do you use this feature? Are there available some canned commands I could use and modify for my particulars?

I primarily would like to move the old full backups to a new folder before a scheduled monthly full backup overwrites them.

thank you for any tips!

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

rkruz:

From what I said in an earlier post, I can see why you would ask this but there are no commands provided, per se -- only the opportunity for you to specify other commands or programs to run.

So, the people I mentioned who I've seen managing other backups. etc, on a pre/post basis, are either writing and invoking simple command line (DOS shell) batch files that they've written or calling programs which they have otherwise written and compiled themselves.

Hope that clarifies things.

There are other posts on this. Search around and you'll find them.

3. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

well not really.

I dont know how to write software, but if there were some close examples I could probably modify something to work.

I was hoping the Acronis or a user group might have available a list of typicial commands that I can modify to do what I need. Otherwise Im afraid I may by trying Norton 10.

thanks again.

4. MKairys

MKairys Registered Member

User commands are broken in build 2302 so there is not much you can do until they are fixed.

On the other hand, I took a look at the Ghost 10 documentation and perhaps I missed it but I didn't see any user command feature at all.

As far as what you can do with them when they are fixed...

You say "I dont know how to write software". Would you know how to write the Command Prompt command to do as you say, "move the old full backups to a new folder"? If you can write that command and put it in a .bat file, then that .bat file becomes your user command.

5. rkruz

rkruz Registered Member

Ok...Well that solves that one. Ghost automatically deals with old backups by changing the file name so you wont write over an old FULL back for example.

I really feel uncomfortable destroying the old Full back, even accidentally if Acronis writes over it....and I dont trust myself to deal with it in the manual routine needed to maintain good backups. I might check out Ghost 10 as maybe it fixed the problems that caused me to turn to Acronis in the first place...plus I get a $20 competitive upgrade discount if I give themt he Acronis receipt I just bought. That way I can get a fair side by side comparison. It may still have issues with Ghost. For whatever reason Acronis seems to use the network much more efficiently an the backups to the NAS drives are much faster...sometimes 2x.

thanks for the help

6. KennethS

KennethS Registered Member

Howdy,

No expert I, but...

This sounds like a scheduling issue.

If you create a schedule to create an image every Monday, and name it Monday.tib, True Image will not overwrite it until a week goes by.

But, if you also do the same thing on Tuesday of each week, the Monday.tib will not be overwritten by Tuesday.tib. Only the image created on Tuesday will overwrite Tuesday.tib.

Using that approach, it is possible to keep as many old images as you might want.

All the best,
    Kenneth

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Good suggestion, Kenneth. Of course, one can generalize that to Backup A, Backup B, Backup C, etc... with a separate schedule for each on whatever frequency or mixture of frequencies you desire.

8. KennethS

KennethS Registered Member

Hello again,

Prior to giving TI a try, I had used various incarnations of Drive Image, and also Ghost.

When I first saw the TI scheduling approach I thought that I could never do what I needed, but, as I suspect you know, it is, in fact, very flexible. Once I got the hang of the TI method I found that it could give me anything I needed.

All the best,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.