p≡p Privacy by Default

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by RockLobster, Aug 14, 2017.

1. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

https://prettyeasyprivacy.com
    Developers;
    p≡p Foundation (Switzerland),
    p≡p Security AG (Switzerland),
    p≡p Security SA (Luxembourg)

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

That looks interesting. But I wonder how well they implement all that.

I'll take a close look when I have a chance.

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yet, when I click on the Get p≡p Desktop link it gives me an option to buy for Outlook. What am I missing?

I guess you need to provide them your name and email address before you can get a download link, right? So where's the privacy in that? :doubt:

4. RockLobster

Hmmm I don't know, I downloaded it from f-droid bundled with k9 mail it was just a regular free download...

5. guest

guest Guest

For some more insight there is a presentation and explanation (1 hour) (event/hacker camp: SHA2017: Still Hacking Anyway)
    excerpts:
    Approach of pretty Easy Privacy
    • Private keys can be synchronized (P2P) across different devices a user owns, such that all messages can always be read.
    Benefits of pretty Easy Privacy
    • Users don't need to to anything for the basic p≡p operation: p≡p is by design zero-touch
    • p≡p will be able to bridge to other channels, e.g. XMPP (unified inbox)
    Comparison to other approaches
    • ... solve the usability issues of end-to-end encrypted communications in a very general sense
    and much more:
    Code:
    https://media.ccc.de/v/SHA2017-228-the_state_of_the_pretty_easy_privacy_p_p_project_and_what_to_expect_next

6. RockLobster

I did some more reading it appears commercial devs used the PEP project under licence to create the outlook addon.
    http://www.pep-project.org/2014-09/
    I found this page from 3 years ago which if you scroll down to the section on outlook there is a pre release version of it for download that still appears to be active.

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Thanks RockLobster.

I don't actually have Outlook installed. I guess I was expecting a desktop application I could configure to use in my case Windows Live Mail. Anyway, I don't think p≡p is for me.

Reading this thread did prompt me to change my account to use SSL ports though, so Kudos for that. :thumb:

Cheers!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.