Power Shadow

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Seems to me that with you all running all these tests that I don't have the experience or knowledge to run, I might just dump BZ and do what I was doing earlier - just run PowerShadow and forget about anything else. Engage it when I start the computer in the morning, leave it running, and it cleans my entire drive of all junk when I shut down at night. What more can anyone ask for?

2. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

For this program to be able to do these things and be free is simply amazing!
    You don't even need to be computer wizard to know how to run this program its a no brainer. :)

3. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Yes computer novice can run Power Shadow.

4. Chuck57

I'm proof that you don't know how to be a computer wizard to run PS. Absolutely, it's a no brainer, because I HAVE no brain when it comes to computers and I had PS up and running in minutes.

There has to be a weakness. No program can be this good.

5. chew

chew Registered Member

Folks, I tried to download from PS website but to no avail. So any idea where else can I get the download from I also tried the other website but that too was to no avail. I assume the version 2.6 will use the same serial number posted on this website? Cheers Chew

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Don't think you'll need to wait too long. It's a given that this one will be probed intensively even by those better adept at that then even myself because in all my acquired knowledge of programs/rootkits/malware, the one thing that i don't have the time to examine is the internal code for possible vulnerabilities. Even so, they would have to be introduced i believe because as-is, this program definitely excells greatly in what it claims.

It's enough for me that i can run some pretty formidable malware whilst in Power Shadow Mode only to experience any actions from them completely useless after exiting it's shadow mode (Single Partition).

Not much more to report then that from this end and since yankinNcrankin already solved the curisosity mentioned earlier you can't ask for much more than that out of this program except when the version comes along where we can "EXIT" Power Shadow mode without a reboot.

That will be the capper for me. :cool:

7. Meriadoc

Tucows and I think download.com. The PS download is slow.

edit : yes both.

8. chew

chew Registered Member

Meriadoc, Thanks for the info. I managed to download it from download.com. I will install it later with the serial number posted on this website. Cheers Chew

9. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

207 Posts!

Talk about a 'Freebie Feeding Frenzy'!:D

10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

From the simple to the most advanced of users this thread is drawing an audience and understandably so.

Power Shadow is very unique and a massive improvment in the world of PC Security.

11. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Like 'Star Trek', kinda makes you wonder what else is out there we haven't discovered yet!

12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

tobacco, more truer words were never said. :thumb:

And thats exactly what keeps people like me glued to this medium. Just when you think theres nothing more out there in the cyber world that can make things interesting, along pops up something brand new and extremely useful.

And you can bet there are yet hundreds of other exciting and useful surprises just waiting to be discovered for us.

Short post but carries much weight in that statement :)

13. mhallerman

mhallerman Registered Member

Would love to run it on my development machine instead of vmware like I have beendoing but eventhough the results of everyone's tests look good, how do we know there isn't some other as of yet unfound dropper or virus or advanced rootkit in it. Has anyone tried RKU on it? I cant run that under wmware.

I apologize in advance if some of these were already answered in this or other threads. I am fried tonight and didnt have the heart to do a thourough search.

Regards,
    Mark.

14. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Thats a yes, I can run so far any application, program, RKU, my gaming apps all in shadow mode with no problems, honestly its pretty nuts that its able to do that without causing instability to my box! :)
    As far as I can tell while I'm in shadow mode and run RKU, all looks legitamite, but hey I have no idea about this kind of technology so who knows maybe there could be something spooky about this program kind of "blue pill" like, I really dont know. I hope thats not the case cause I also ran port explorer and other open ports, nirsofts current ports programs to see if it was phoning home and it looks ok just split second UDP upon launching PS from the tray. I think its ok. If there is something spooky about this program as far as I know I'm unable to detect it and I think thats good enough for me after the tests I have already done. Who knows maybe more info about this program willl arise and I hope its positive for the security conscious. :)
    how do we know there isn't some other as of yet unfound dropper or virus or advanced rootkit in it. same could be said about VM ware, or just about any well known trusted program, what if messing around with such a program ends up creating undetectable anomylies? Get your feet wet and experience it, if you dont like a program simply stop using it. :)
    Just try and imagine if the person or persons' involved in creating this program ever turned to the "darkside" :D

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  15. Chuck57

"how do we know there isn't some other as of yet unfound dropper or virus or advanced rootkit in it."
    same could be said about VM ware, or just about any well known trusted program, what if messing around with such a program ends up creating undetectable anomylies? Get your feet wet and experience it, if you dont like a program simply stop using it.
    Just try and imagine if the person or persons' involved in creating this program ever turned to the "darkside"

I think we users of PS have an advantage - for a while. Right now, Powershadow isn't that well known, although it's bound to be soon. The bigger names are out there and the ones being looked at.

Powershadow is just burrowing along like a little mole, just under the surface. The malware players hopefully aren't focusing on it yet. As good as this program seems to be, I hope the creators stay on the 'light side.'

16. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

If they never release another version of this it would be of little consequence because it more than makes up for deficiencies experienced with all the other shadow programs. Search your feelings and view your own facts, this app while maybe not the end all of them, firmly establishes it's place among the elite of the BEST proactive sandboxes.

There is nothing else that even comes close to matching it's ability.

17. poirot

poirot Registered Member

I agree Easter.2010, to the point i'm even thinking of getting rid of ShadowUser in my other computer-which i paid-to make way for PowerShadow.

I am a very security conscious person and i fear a lot any type of rootkits,but i am wondering.... if PowerShadow had been made by Symantec or MacAffee-instead of by the chinese (or italians,french,polish ,rumenians or else)- would there be such a question asked like 'is there a hidden rootkit?',
    even before trying out the program?

18. Meriadoc

Its wise to think about these things but at the moment I've not found anything to worry about (have some more time tonite.) Theres was nothing in the traffic I analysed nor any tricks like trying to by-pass or hide from a packet sniffer, nothing outta the ordinary in that period of time, if theres something it kept quiet.

19. Chuck57

I doubt it. Symantec or McAfee aren't the best examples from what I've read on this board. Let's say that if suddenly ESET began offering Powershadow everybody would be installing it no questions asked.

The Chinese have developed one of the best sandboxing/virtualisation programs available, and that's the bottom line.

20. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I guess this is no surprise to anyone but PS does not work with Vista.
    I installed it and tried to run but it crashed every time. But I guess there will be a Vista compatible version sooner or later. I hope, I understand that no one is allowed to work with the kernel in Vista, and I suppose this software does that? Well, the bad guys doesnt care about if they are allowed or not of course ;)

21. Meriadoc

YES :) , although not for malicious circumstances, but I understand what you are saying.
    For me its not a case where from, its that I dont know you and/or dont know your program.

22. Chuck57

That's the problem with software. You can try to protect it, and not share it, but the bad guy will always find a way. It's a shame PS doesn't work with Vista. It's another reason to add to my list of reasons not to upgrade.

23. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

Chucks early link and downloaded + used Expressos early reg key to register - gave me an error message when I tried to register the english 2.6 version. Need some help here pls.

Had some error message at shutdown but will get back on that if I can register and keep it.

Best Regards

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  24. Chuck57

Someone else had the same problem. Did you try copy and paste or typing the key in? Seems like it has to be copied and pasted, though I don't know why. As far as I can see from the website, the license key posted here is still valid.

I didn't have any problem with error messages after the install so can't help much there. Did you have antivirus and other security software disabled? That's about the only suggestion I can offer.

25. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Rivalen,
    try to do this (judging from my initially negative-like -you-experience):

1-copy the entire string as given in an earlier post by chuck57 and paste it
    not in Word,Wordpad,OpenOffice but in Notepad.
    (i know it seems strange)
    2-double click the PS icon in desktop
    3-get rid of the tips section
    4-copy paste ' PowerShadow ' put it in the upper ,user,section
    5-copy the serial number to be pasted in the lower section
    6-give all the okeys
    if it wont work for 3-4 times you will have to

uninstall the program completely,including deleting the downloaded program, using registry cleaners.

Reboot everytime.

Download a new copy of the program,install it,use it once,give the permission to connect outbound (just for this first time,you can deny later-and even if the registration is inside PS) and after a reboot try again.

Hopefully at this time it will work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.