Power Shadow

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. como212

como212 Registered Member

how is the memory usage of this program?

2. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

It's recommended not to defrag the drive while running PowerShadow. Any changes too the file system have to be saved in the PS temp file so a lot of defragging will build up a huge temp file.

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Here - Shadowtip.exe - 3,432 kb
    - Shadowservice.exe - 1,052 kb

4. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

My pc flies along. with only look n stop and powershadow running . there seems to be quite a diffirence in surfing speed in shadow mode .
    I stopped Shadowtip.exe from starting up and Shadowservice.exe is running at 1008k here.

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: There is no major known issues so far, however, it does caution that power shadow does not support these:
    64 bits O/S; RAID; win98/ME or vista: multi O/S with linux.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Major issue-- phoning home.
    Sidabled hibernation on my laptop(that is only for me of course).

7. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi all,

Anyone know if they are incompatibilities with my setup (in my sig) ?

Many Thanks for your answers

MaB

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, aigle, I totally agree. Why would a shadow app( they call power shadow this way, instead of sandbox/virtualization, why? I have no clue at all) phone home? Strange indeed. No one has raised this issue on their support section( Chinese).

9. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Interesting. What else than checking for updates does PS do when it phones home to China?
    I guess it is easy for an educated user to check with a packetsniffer to see what is sent?
    I do not know anything about that stuff but this is what it sends in my machine:

This is what shadowsettings.exe sends when I look at the log from port explorer. the xxx is www, I had to change it because wilders wont show the whole line other wise. It connects to (openDNS) DNS server fo a second or so, no more connections.

This happens only when I view the settings in SP. I will check shadowtip.exe next time it tries to connect.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  10. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Using verson 2.8.2 now with everything working fine so far. ShadowTip.exe wants access out.

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Just one more product made in China. Now our computers will feel at home. What's down the road, Windows Fong? :ninja:

12. solarpowered candle

Meriadoc is that an english version of 2.8 and where did you find that.

this phoning home is a hassle. I emailed to support@ensurebit.com and asked them why it phones home. So far it hasnt been sent back as undelivered.

13. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

This is neither the time nor the place for racist remarks. Please consider your wording more carefully in the future. Thank you.

14. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Maybe Microsoft will let the Chinese develop their products. If PS is an example, they might do a better job than Redmond.

15. solarpowered candle

yes they both like to phone home

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Pinga - Not a racial remark, but national free trade policy. More jobs lost to China trade imbalance.

17. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

I have been using version 2.8.2 a few days.
    Phoning home issue... Easy... Block it with your Firewall.
    I have NO ill effects when blocking with a Firewall.

Rick

18. Chuck57

I use a little thing called XPAntispy that turns off most of the phone home stuff in Windows - and there are a few things. Plus it can turn off a lot more unneeded stuff besides.

I don't know what the phone home thing with Powershadow is. If its to monitor websites visited, they'll be bored to tears with me.

19. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

If you would make the effort to step over your own shadow, perhaps you would see that this is not about 'our' computers or 'lost' jobs at all. We are one planet and US-centric thinking has not been very helpful in its development as of late. I am not asking you to agree, just to consider that there are people of different nationalities on this board and that we're here to communicate, not to compete.

20. solarpowered candle

i suppose with a few billion pc s in china thats a lot of interesting statistics they can gather.

21. Chuck57

Even if your system had frozen, all you gotta do is manually turn it off and turn it back on and you're out of shadow mode and everything is back where it was.

As far as I'm concerned, and I'm more comfortable with a manual typewriter than a computer, Powershadow is one of the best software programs to come along in a long time. I'm waiting for the day they come out with a version where you can disable shadowmode without a reboot. I'm betting it won't be long - and hopefully will be have an English version.

22. Meriadoc

Yes, go back abit or read your pm.

23. Chuck57

Might have something to do with the Chinese Govt. I read somewhere years ago that they don't allow their people unlimited internet viewing. It could be that the phone home thing is part of that - to tell them who is going where.

I don't know if the above is true, or how they could even compile all that and do anything about it. I think it's just a thing to check for updates/upgrades or something similar. With millions of copies of the program out there, they'd need an army of people to handle all the info.

24. solarpowered candle

that may be what it is all about. However i have the english version and i really dont fancy paying $39 ( not that i will ) for the privilege of being monitored by the chinese govt :)

25. Meriadoc

I believe they're heading towards their own government run internet, country-wide intranet tightning up the already gov.run web :( anyway your probably right in...

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.