Power Shadow

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kr4ey

kr4ey Registered Member

Chuck57

PCLinuxOS 2007 and Puppy are Live CD's so you don't really need to run them on a VM. Just put them in your CD drive and reboot. They will boot into there system. When you want to use Windows again just reboot or shutdown Linux and remove the CD from the drive.
    You can install them as a dual boot system (Linux and Windows). I see no need to run them in Windows and seems useless.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I just run linux inside virtual pc. I normally don't do it in shadow mode as i don't see the need. If anything goes wrong inside the vm i simply shut it down deleting all changes.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U can,t install linux in PS as u install in a VM.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

POWER SHADOW (2.6) for me continues to perform unabated and always without ANY issues. A solid piece of work.

5. farmerlee

Its definitely the best freebie i've ever used.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Just for those experiencing concerns like Chuck57 recently. I freshly installed yet again POWER SHADOW MASTER 2.6 with the same old registration data as first posted and it went off without a hitch.

This amazing app is my bread n' butter when malware searching and is not let me down yet. Of course now it has infinite support from other security apparatus including FD-ISR snapshots/archives should something new manage to penetrate to disable or destruct.

Great invention and one thats sure to stand the test of time indefinitely here.

7. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I'm glad most others using Powershadow are trouble free. I recently rolled my computer back (thanks Paragon) to the backup I made in early June.

Powershadow ran a day. Next day, same exact thing. A notice appeared saying that my trial has expired and it refused to load. This is the Powershadow I downloaded months ago when I found it. I haven't followed my usual uninstallation, reinstallation stuff with it.

Don't know what happened unless the calling out thing has something to do with it. I have no idea. I'm currently looking at Returnil or SafeSpace and will make a decision soon.

8. farmerlee

Have you tried rolling back and then blocking PS from accessing the web? I've currently got PS blcoked from accessing the web and haven't had any similar problems. I'm going to give it access and see if experience anything similar happens.

9. emmpe

emmpe Registered Member

I've just skimmed this overwhelming thread, maybe I missed the proper post, but this is my question:
    You're supposed to be able to go into shadow mode without reboot, but PS is rather insistent that you should close all running apps first. Well, I've got quite a few of them sometimes, and then the difference between closing them and rebooting seems next to infinitesimal to me. So how crucial is it, really?

10. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I never close any of the programs running in the background (antivirus, firewall, behavior blocker, etc) and everything always goes smoothly with PS.

As far as other open programs, say a word processor with an open document etc, I would think closing them would be a good idea before going into shadowmode, but I have never left anything like that open while going into shadowmode to try it.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Just a side note of interest:

I done (2) brand new installs with Power Shadow 2.6 and both installed great and went off without a single hitch, glitch, or otherwise.

So whatever transpired or nullified Chuck57's recent incident i have no clue at this point, i can firmly and without reservation though fully confirm that PS 2.6 still installs with the all same details as before on any box i put it on, and still performs as usual.

12. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I've given up and removed Powershadow and switched to Returnil 1.6. It seems to do pretty much the same thing. I've had a couple of large programs I downloaded to play with, moved the .exe to my other drive, and installed them to play with for a while. I let the computer run for a few days 24/7 in Returnil to give these things a decent test. On reboot, all traces gone.

I haven't fooled with any malware of any kind, but I like Returnil and reckon it'll stay.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Returnil has made swift and happy waves in a short span of time, as well as on-the-scene support here so yes i would go that route.

For me, the old PS 2.6 is still fine as wine and it doesn't discourage my interest in it with some of it's limitations compared to other new offerings.

Still, i'm anxiously awaiting Power Shadow's new release, whenever that is.

Returnil "IS" a viable and dependable alternative. Best of luck. :thumb:

14. Perman

Perman Registered Member

H, folks: As per PS's Chinese web site, it does have an updated version released on 8/30/2007. It is dubbed as " powershadow workstation 2008 ". Its English version may be available thru shareit.com @US39.00 with 60 days trial. The other web site in Chicago; www.powershadowsecurity .com may carry 2.6 old version only at present time. Good luck.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

They (PS China) need to stop procrastinating and move with dispatch to fashion FULL english versions if their ever going to progress in the global technology field.

Yeah, like some, i could be content with their early release and just leave things at that, but the better they improve and increase features/security the more attention AND CUSTOMERS they can win over IMHO.

While many developers are still jockying with Vista :ouch: compatibilities, there will remain a very large (Majority) contingent of XP users who are sticking with that system untill a truly better O/S $MS release, rather then lame vista is put together that might honestly drive interest to a new system developed by them.

In the meantime, developers are now finally returning their attention to sharpening & fashioning XP security softwares to make it one the BEST o/s's $MS ever built.

The vista fancy is about run it's course from the looks of things and is flat compared with it's forerunner XP.

Can't wait to tack on an even newer Power Shadow, and some of us are still waiting to see if it's even possible to also EXIT shadow-mode without reboot.

16. farmerlee

Yeah i see no need to change from my current version 2.82 at the moment. If they manage to solve the exit shadow mode without reboot problem i'll definitely upgrade.

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Same here. It's got to be one of the most stable virtualization apps i ever seen! It just doesn't fail, that is unless it's tampered with locally on purpose with various forms of destructive code like some have thrown at it for testing purposes.

On the net, i'm sure it still holds it's own in some of the most notorious of dodgy places but since i stopped running after malware download sites to capture these crafts, i rarely even bother to turn it on anymore, even when surfing. Still, it's nice to know it will do the job whenever called on.

18. dougeeebear

dougeeebear Registered Member

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Super of you to bring that to our attention. Many of us are totally sold on this amazing program and will settle for nothing less.

The "exit w/o reboot" is no doubt a stumbling block of $M code that makes it near impossible to impliment or that too would have already been added.

20. ly8zhong

ly8zhong Registered Member

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Irrelevant i must say.

With the onset of so many more people/students etc. taking part in intensive computer programming studies; aka:Windows

The fact is a VIRUS can be written to infect "ANY" program. It's a pure law of physics. There is no computer program whatsoever which is 100% completely immune from manipulation.

22. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

23. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Yes, indeed, very interesting, especially, some claim that frequent usage of PS's shadow mode will actually shorten hard disk's life span due to the theory that PS is built on. A normal 5 years lifespan can be reduced to mere one year, some reports say.

24. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That sounds like pure FUD to me. Powershadow, or any of the similiar programs can wear the disk that much. Can't be as bad as defragging, imaging and restoring, which I do bunches of.

Pete

25. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Peter: Perhaps you are right, those claims are pure FUD. What those guys have been saying is that PS creates a new partition within the same hard disk. Every activity user conducts w/ shadow mode on is confined within that small section, leaving the rest of disk unused. After frequent usage, that particular partition is vulnerable to damages (due to wear and tear). This theory may sound reasonable, but I don't know. I will leave it to experts to verify. Have a nice one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.