Power Shadow

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Firebytes, I can confirm what RiverRun stated. I have run Windows defrag with PS 2.8.2 installed while not in shadow mode. Everything was fine on my machine.

2. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Thank you for the confirmation Innerpeace. I feel much better about PS again knowing I can still defrag my drive when needed. Thank you both for responding.

3. dougeeebear

dougeeebear Registered Member

I have a little scenario/issue with PowerShadow 2.6, ShadowService.exe and the "ShadowService.log" file, and I wondered if anyone else was experiencing the same thing.

This thread of mine on the PowerShadow forum will explain what I mean.

Thanks,
    Doug

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Not that I know of...well I mean I last had it configured set to manual in services, and unchecked shadowtip.exe to run on start up. Post back when you get an official reply.

ver 2.8.2

5. dougeeebear

Thanks for the feedback, Meriadoc.
    There's not much activity on the PS forum, but I will definately pass along any info I receive.

Doug

6. dougeeebear

While I was waiting for a reply from the PowerShadow Forum I did some looking around, and I see some things that don't seem very professional for a commercial software company.
    The first being the use of freeforums.org for their commercial forum, and second when you click the PayPal button to purchase the registration number here, you get to pay for it at a personal email address @hotmail.com instead of at a company site.
    Does anyone besides me have reservations about sending money to a personal email address to purchase PowerShadow (or any other commercial product for that matter)?

Doug

Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  7. dougeeebear

Well, so far no response from the PowerShadow forum Admin regarding my ShadowService question (although he has been active on the forum).

Also in reply to my own post regarding purchasing the registration, another user has this to say.

So I guess maybe I'll just use the username/registration code I saw posted here.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah i'd just use the free registration provided until a newer english version is released and then decide whether or not its worth buying.

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

For any POWER SHADOW users who didn't migrate/switch over to RAM virtualization, has it still been doing as you expect?

Also was wondering if there is any new News on another version that can also exit shadow-mode w/o the extra effort of a reboot. That's the one on my radar screen i keep watching to materialize (if possible).

10. farmerlee

I'm still using powershadow, its always worked flawlessly for me. I prefer PS as it allows me to protect all my drives not just the system partition. I've also been keeping an eye out for an update but nothing so far.

11. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

Just had this message from support re 2.9:

"Powershadow version 2.6 doesn't officially support SATA hard drive.

2.82 supports SATA hard drive, but it is non-English version.

Our new Powershadow Workstation (V2.9) will support SATA.
    It is still in our internal test phase. (We experienced some delay in development. )
    We hope it will finish in about 6-8 weeks."

This will be on my purchase list for sure!

12. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I still use PS 2.6 on my older desktop and it's working like a champ. Not one single problem to date. It performs flawlessly on my system.

My new laptop has SATA though so I had to go with another solution there.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks guys. I also have opted to stay with PS for the same reason it virtualizes ALL drives, really nice feature. As far as SATA, i know some really favor them even though i'm not on that page just yet with hard drives, but am very glad to see they moving ahead to accommadate them, hopefully fully in ENGLISH. LoL

I'm not so sure the exiting from shadow-mode will become much of a priority given the make-up of the current Windows system that it could be safely done at all, but ANY new improvements w/o loss of current functionality will definitely propell a new release to be something on my shopping list also.

I love it! Great creation and amazingly stable on the order of a FD-ISR!

14. innerpeace

Reading the recent threads, I thought I would try running my version 2.8.2 which has been dormant since installing RVS. I've been afraid to try it with both programs installed. I'm posting this in full shadow mode and I'm trying a little experiment. I exited RVS through the tray icon, I then entered PS full shadow mode, I then created a small file and saved it to my z:returnil virtual partition (which is always mounted). I doubt after a reboot that the file will still exist, but I thought I would try it. I'll let you know how it goes later. I'll also let you know how the reboot goes since I haven't tried PS since I have installed RVS.

ipeace

15. farmerlee

Having both returnil and powershadow on the same system hasn't caused me any problems, i've even run them both at the same time without any problems!

16. innerpeace

Thanks farmerlee, that makes me feel better. I haven't heard much lately from anyone who still has both installed.

Why not run PS and RVS with Sandboxie in a VM? :p

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I myself no longer bother with VM's and hence save a ton of disk space. If my rollback/imaging solutions are not enough then i'm wasting my time even sitting at this desk. Besides i've collected enough used hard drives to sink a battleship with :D If something goes too terribly wrong theres always the zero out platter procedure. :thumb:

On Topic.

I impliment Sandboxie + Power Shadow + HIPS + FD-ISR

OnDemand NOD32 plus plenty of utilities to pull the teeth from a Rhinosaurus, so theres not a lot left thats really needed anymore except these programs (and others) with NEW features. LoL

18. innerpeace

Ok, I rebooted and it went ok. The little experiment I tried in post #914 did not work. I couldn't save the file to the mounted RVS virtual partition while in full shadow mode with PS. I sorta expected this, but it would have been cool to save things while in full shadow mode that didn't involve saving to an external device which I don't have.

@ Easter, Once I get a few ducks in line, I want to get a setup I can use to try new programs and beta test. I guess there are many options available so it won't be an easy decision. I would like FD-ISR but I don't see that in my future as I need a new cd/dvd burner and would like an external hd. Unless someone is willing to trade licenses for programs that I'm not using, I don't see FD-ISR in my near future. I hear great things about it and I see that Peter2150 has a good setup. It would be cool to one day run killdisk and be able to laugh while doing so :).

Cheers, ipeace

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

@innerpeace

I don't know if you live in a rural or city setting but to my own surprise after visiting some local computer repair shops (not franchises), the managers/workers seemed more than eager to part with used hard drives they have laying around collecting dust and that really helped build what started out as a small collection to where today i collect any they have available and the price is peaches compared to new ones.

In fact, you can take about any unwanted used hard drives so long as they do work at all and tranform 'em into a very working and reliable system. Zero the disks, several times if so inclined, and they will PERFORM. Mind you the big Gb's are rather limited since they tend to keep those, but you occasionally you'll run across an 80 or more, and all it takes is one big GB drive to construct a nice system. Or like me, i'm content if it's a 30, 40 etc. or even smaller. They also make for great test drives you can massacre with malware/rootkits or whatever and test antispyware/ARK/HIPS to see if they are up to the challenges or not.

20. farmerlee

I have run powershadow alongside an XP VM running powershadow :), its virtualisation within virtualisation within virtualisation LOL!

21. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Okay, been away for a while and have a question that maybe somebody here can answer.

I've got several Linux distros saved on my other drive. I'd been playing with them in virtualbox and am now curious whether installing them while in PS will work the same as any other program, like when I reboot will the PC return to XP and all traces of Linux be gone?

Specifically, I'm considering PCLinux2007, Slax Kill Bill, or Puppy and I have a couple of others.

22. farmerlee

As long as the VM's are installed on a drive protected by powershadow it should all be gone on reboot.

23. Chuck57

Thanks, FarmerLee. So, theoretically since powershadow is a virtual machine, I can load Linux and run it while in powershadow and, when I reboot, be back with XP.

Have to give it a try when I'm finished with a deadline hopefully by mid next week.

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I can,t understand at all. What are u talking about? U cancan,t install linux in PS as u install in a VM.
    If u are talking of installing Linux in a VM while in shadow mode, I wonder why u should bother this. It,s totally useless excercise.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2007
  25. Chuck57

Thanks, aigle, that's what I was asking. I use Linux in virtualbox now. I wondered if I could install Linux in powershadow and have xp back when i rebooted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.