Power Shadow

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

First, I separated my system from my data and stored my data on another partition.

If you keep your data on your system partition (under "My Documents") and you need to restore a corrupted system partition with an image, your data will be restored also with an older version.
    You will lose at least the updatings of TODAY in your data files, because your backup is at least from YESTERDAY or even older, depending on how many times you do a backup. That is a serious problem, maybe not at home, but you can't afford this at work.

If you keep your data on another partition and you need to restore a corrupted system partition with an image, you won't lose the updatings of TODAY in your data files, because your data is stored on another partition.

To recover my system partition from a disaster, I try first FDISR, which works in most cases. Otherwise I use my Image Backup software to recover my system partition, but I still have my data.
    I don't care anymore when something happens on my system partition, that's peanuts.

Losing my data files or the updating of my data files is alot worse, that's my hard work.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  2. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I have used FD-isr, ATI, Ghost and now DeepFreeze(similiar to PowerShadow), they all are very good in terms of performance. As to security issues, I may want to extend Easter's post#591 a bit further. When I still had FD-isr, I faced an unkown trojan attack, my system files faild to execute (popups show memory errors) during reboot. I immediately did what I prepared to do; reboot into another snapshot, then copied that one into the troubled one, but at no avail , now both of them had been infected. Later, ATI did not save my bacon either. Therefore, from then on, I doubt that when FD-isr makes new snapshot, it may very likely leave system files (c:\windows ) alone. I did not move sysem file to another partition. When the whole partition got invaded, everthing (including all snapshots) is gone. That is main reason for me not to reuse FD-isr. Just my loonie finding.

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

@Perman,may I ask ,was it you that posted a while back that a malware broke out of Sandboxie and also shutdown your AV at the same time?

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Dan

Quick answer. I don't keep equal dual snapshots with FDISR, I keep my primary and a very stripped down secondary, just to have another bootable snapshot. I then keep a full primary archive off disk. Why do this. I use Shadow Protect for imaging as opposed to acronis, and it's fast. I can image in 5 min and restore in 5 minutes, so to build and test an image is ten minutes. I can refresh an archive in 1 minute. By using FDISR, I can keep that archive very current, and then in event of disaster I can restore a week old image, and then use FDISR, to get very current. Saves time, and is a 2nd layer of backup protection.

PEte

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: not me. I am using DeepFreeze standard, and never used Sandboxie. But I do remember someone from this forum reporting a security breach on Sandboxie a while back, could not recall when. I also have read some reports w/ same concerns, but da--m just could not relate it to my memory. I will let know if they resurface. Have a nice one.

6. ErikAlbert

So what was the trouble with ATI that it failed to restore your system partition ?
    Moving system files to another partition doesn't make sense, moving personal data files to another partition, that makes sense.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  7. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I've never used any of this stuff, other than trying Sandboxie and Bufferzone. Sandboxie slowed down my system and I probably got interested in something else and switched from BZ.

Powershadow is my mainstay. Most of the day I don't use it, since most of my time is spent on various forums. When I do surf, researching something for my writing, which means going to sites I've never visited, I engage Powershadow and have full confidence I'm protected.

IF I'm ever infected, a simple reboot will eliminate the infection. I understand the need for FD-ISR and other programs. Powershadow, though, which will take my system back to the point that PS was engaged and eliminating all infections or problems, is enough for me.

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

PowerShadow is the second or third best thing to Sandboxie and Defensewall.

Blacklists are OK for cleaning up and that's about it.

When after cleaning a pc of malware but beforer iinstalling PS and or SB the hardest part is telling your kids how to use them to keep themselves free of malwarwe!;)

9. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I went hunting and found Powershadow exactly because of children, namely my grandkids. Inevitably, after visiting for a while, they get tired of old folks and want on the computer - and just as inevitably, it was a mess after they left.

Powershadow solved that problem for me. I engage it when I know they're coming and reboot after they're gone. It's saved me work a number of times.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

There was something wrong with ur system. FDISR snapshot can be infiltrated by malware in theory but I have et to see it. Also why imaging will fail here? I can,t swallow it.

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I do not want to believe this either. Perhaps you can review the following(because I can not install it w/ DF's presence): Pls use Tree size or Folder Info program to illustrate all programs on your c drive. You may find among other folders, there are $ISR (FD-isr's working folder and c:\windows as well) and the size of $ISR may not be the same as that of your c drive. My theory is that when FD-isr makes its snapshots(whether is primary or secondary, the size should be no discount from the original drive). These are all I can collect from my archived info, I could be not that accurate. My finding is that c:\windows is not contained within $ISR folder.

12. DanHonemann

DanHonemann Registered Member

You guys make some very good points. I'd like to try Power Shadow but I'm lost in the quagmire of a 25 page thread here.... can someone point me to a link for downloading the latest build of PS? Is it freeware?

Thanks,
    Dan

13. namdog

namdog Registered Member

Visit http://www.PowerShadowSecurity.com and you won't miss it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  14. Peter2150

Perman

If you are trying to say c:\windows isn't in all different snapshots you are wrong, UNLESS, you anchored that folder, which would not be smart. If you want to prove it put a file in the folder in one snapshot, and boot to the other and see if it's there. Better yet, delete have the files in the folder, and reboot. Hosed system. Now boot to another snapshot, and it's fine. Couldn't be unless the folders were separate.

Pete

15. ErikAlbert

Perman,
    That would be very unlogical, I have in each snapshot a winXPProSP2 with a different configuration.

FDISR can even act as a multi-bootable system with in each snapshot another Windows, like WinXPhome, WinXPpro, win2000pro and even winVISTA in the beta version of FDISR. That is 4 different OS on the same system partition [C:].
    How is that possible, if you assume that all snapshots share the same folder C:\Windows ?
    That is the reason why FDISR takes more space too, that's not a disadvantage as many users call it, that is an extra function that doesn't exist in PowerShadow and other ISR-softwares.
    All these complaining users just used the WRONG ISR-software.

Even the frozen snapshot of FDISR is better than PowerShadow and that is supposed to be the best feature of PowerShadow.
    If you have a software, that needs a reboot during the installation, the software is gone in PowerShadow.
    FDISR allows you to reboot in a frozen snapshot, without losing the software and you can proceed with the installation and yes the software will be gone after the next reboot, if you want that.

So what is left ? SPEED.
    Only creating NEW snapshots and NEW archives takes longer in FDISR, once the snapshots and archives EXIST, any copy/update is much faster (seconds,minutes).
    Refreshing an archived snapshot is the fastest backup, I've ever seen, nothing beats that.

So let us stop comparing FDISR with PS, PS is a toy compared with FDISR. PS is just an extra feature in FDISR.
    And again PS doesn't belong in this forum, it's not an anti-malware software, just like FDISR isn't one. :)

16. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Indeed. PS is a very natural safeguard against just such potential occurances. Let the kids have at it or the grandma ma/Auntie to her coupon sites that inevitably and also generously :D bring on myriads of other famous ad-ware and when theye're done redecorating the browser or giving your system new programs :gack: do a simple reboot and Wallah!

Back to normal screen again.

I use it stratigically for hunting bots or any other malware laced pages and combined with SSM it's a resounding success although it doesn't have to be SSM in particular. Now with that being said you can never discount the possibility that a clever programmer will at some point make provision for it in order to circumvent it's protection and that's where i would suggest a FD-ISR at the very least or if you have a favorite imaging solution you're good to go. But then, that's my own preference as to do with more aggressive surfing habits like mine.

17. DanHonemann

DanHonemann Registered Member

Ok, having learned a lot from this thread and having had a look at both PowerShadow and FD-ISR, it seems the latter is more tailored to my needs.

Only remaining question is whether it makes sense to wait for the FD-ISR beta to be released into production, or if I should jump in now with the current release.

Dan

18. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Yeah I understand, you'll probably get a better idea over at the FDISRbeta section by reading some of the posts (which I should imagine you have.) What I can say is that the beta works great here for xp and vista snapshots as long as you do not anchor the files. Have a look at the install instructions the pdf file page 3, if you decide to jump in.

19. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

You simply can't do any better IMO then to go with FD-ISR as a super-precaution.

In my case it almost always stems from buggy software that you can run in to that will fudge windows to the point of not being able to boot into the windows GUI "OR" safe-mode.
    Yeah, there is also Recovery Console but you won't read many posts going enough into detail with it and besides you would need many dependable command codes just to recover from say a corrupt registry or worse. All that is time consuming and can prove frustrating at best if it even helps ay all.

We're discussing 2 entirely different methods of restoring a screen to a useable condition again after some demise, be it malware or otherwise. For me, Power Shadow is invaluable for my duties but FD-ISR is far more technical in nature and most reliable where the rubber meets the road. I prefer both!

20. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That,s great. I never knew that.
    But I heard people getting troubles with freezed snapshot function with some security applications. Is it common?
    Also I wonder when they are going to add multiple freezed snapshots feature.

21. Peter2150

I would bet(which means I am wrong:D ) they won't. Freeze is a specific purpose, and implies only one. If you want multiple freezes, you can do it now with multiple snapshot,archives etc.

22. ErikAlbert

To do this :
    1. Disable the pre-boot before the new software asks you to reboot during the installation.
    2. Reboot and FDISR will keep the software on your snapshot.
    3. Proceed the installation and try/test whatever you want
    4. If you want to get rid of it. Enable the pre-boot and reboot
    If you want to keep it refreeze the snapshot and enable the preboot.

Some security softwares are a problem for FDISR indeed, but that doesn't bother me so much. Security softwares enough.
    FDISR can still be improved, the schedules on demand and multiple freezed snapshots are still missing, and so on.

If I have a problem with FDISR and another software, I simply ditch that software, because FDISR is too good to be ditched.
    After all each existing software has its enemies in the software world, same like people. :)

23. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

So in effect, and correct me if this is wrong, the "preboot" of FD is the guarding principle in that particular feature, aka freeze. If that's the case there really is more to FD than first meets the eye.

24. ErikAlbert

You normally keep the preboot ENABLED, but sometimes it's handy to disable it like in a frozen snapshot.
    As experienced FDISR-users always say : the only limit of FDISR is your own imagination.

(I just don't understand why users spent 600+ posts on PS, the software isn't that special and it makes the thread unreadable.)

25. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Well then i guess you never know for sure untill you've tried so looks like i have another project of comparison to fit on my weekly agenda. One thing is for sure, Power Shadow "IS" a very useful program in and of itself for many (including myself) and for the reasons Chuck57 so clearly pointed out.

No it's not an FD-ISR nor designed to be i don't think, but it can hold it's own and is as stable on most other machines as it's proven on my own during research practices. (And/Or surfing the net)

There must be something useful enough in it to warrant all those 600+ posts if you ask me. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.