Power Shadow

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Allow me to interject here after observation of that reply Eric.

My experience & belief is, that is if your confidence doesn't rely on some proven backup/image solution like TI or another, that EVERYONE with a PC "needs" (FD-ISR) reliable/working snapshots to fall back to.

Microsoft is not a perfect science (never will be) as is always evident by countless global reports going as far back as 98. IMHO no sandbox in circulation today, even remotely compares to FD-ISR, including Power Shadow. Faster they might be but i feel that comparison is fully negligible compared to a technology that you can turn to in event of some misfortune that renders your system bootless. Nothing is more frustrating IMO.

Theres nothing more comforting then to have a capability on hand to get you up and running in minutes when confronted with that scenario.

2. sunrise

sunrise Registered Member

The official 2.8 which is in chinese has free key given. for the english, official is only 2.6.
    the 2.8 english mention in this forum i think is the translated version of the chinese 2.8 right? if yes, can someone pm me the link to d/l the translated version? Thanks!!

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If my system partition is in trouble, I admit that I don't know what happened and how I can fix it. That's why I use a software like FDISR to fix it without requiring a deep knowledge. A BSOD was my worst nightmare and any other minor or serious problem was a disaster too for me in the past, because I didn't know how to fix it.
    Now I can fix all these minor and BIG problems with a software like FDISR.

Another reason is that Image Backup (which is more important than Immediate System Recovery) is SLOW compared with ISR and I want to be back in business as soon as possible.

Multiple snapshots is a matter of personal choice and has nothing to do with ISR. You need them or you don't need them and please make the right choice, because FDISR is a pain for users, who only want ISR and not multiple snapshots.

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I think i missed something earlier that was discussed, i was attempting to discover if there might exist some similarities of FD-ISR "FREEZE" to Power Shadow's shadow-mode.

The matter of "multiple snapshots" is of no issue whatsoever on this end, only interest to me is if it's Logical to employ Power Shadow if you already have FD-ISR to FREEZE a partition, which i assume performs an equal function.

By the way Eric, i have posed additional questions needing confirmation and you been very helpful to addressing them at FD-ISR section. Thx

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello. :)

But Erik, don't you have a desire for a deeper knowledge? I believe we all have it, it's in human's nature, that's why we're here at Wilders, to learn more. Your 4.500 posts tells me that you certainly have the need to exchange knowledge. ;)

6. ErikAlbert

Of course, two years back I didn't know anything, all my knowledge is based on posts written by other members and I have my own opinions, just like everyone else. But I'm not planning to become an expert in Windows, Internet or Security.
    That's not fun and I'm too lazy and it has nothing to do with my job either.
    I'm a pure application analyst and I don't need anything to know about computers, other people do that for me.
    FDISR is one of the few softwares, I did a serious effort to learn this software, because it had so many advantages for me.

7. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

EricAlbert? Don't feel like lonesome george, i can go back a few years ago when the best i could muster on any PC was chatting on Yahoo Messenger let alone knowing what to do when explorer would stall out or worse yet crash land.

To be perfectly honest i took computer courses up North in a state named Michigan here in the states and thought i was well on my way to PC knowledge 101. Nothing could have been farther from the truth. I was even coached by a university professor at the time. I dunno, maybe all those bone cold nights & blizzards i endured distracted my learning then, but i gained absolutely nothing IMO from the classes even though they tried.

My best teacher is been nothing less than Internet Forums and on-line discussions with regular forum memberships and occasionally bonified programmers who really had a handle on microsoft and software code in general. From there my knowledge and experience accellerated far beyond and above what any college schedule could have possibly offered. You see, they operate on the age old adage of a schedule. I operated on a burning desire and curiosity that demanded 24 hours a day (sometimes more) and 7 days a week for months discipline they could never match and it paid off, maybe not in salary but KNOWLEDGE which i believe is a key to propelling your interests beyond commonly acceptable means. It also meant going for many hours without sleep o_O I don't regret that for a moment.
    In other words, by sharing these type common interests and concerns in order to solve or discover PC matters and especially engaging in forum discussions is indeed priceless and is proven very helpful to others as well as curing my own basic need to learn and know more.

8. namdog

namdog Registered Member

Of coz Powershadow is not anti-malware software,
    It is just a very simple but amazing tool that keep your system intact.

Sometimes Powershadow is more efficient than anti-malware software.

9. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi.

Not exactly intact, but rather recovered after a bad encounter with malware. :)

Cheers

10. namdog

namdog Registered Member

Powershadow is not for recover, it is used to keep your system unchanged.

Sometimes I need recover, but most time I need system unchanged.

11. Seer

Seer Registered Member

It is not unchanged. It is changing constantly while you work Powershadowed. Reboot reverses that changes. Is that how it goes?

12. ErikAlbert

That's because you rollback to a previous healthy state, FDISR does the same.
    In other words EVERYTHING is gone and that is much better than scanners, because they only remove what is on their blacklist (+ heuristics) and that was not good enough for me. ISR does it also much faster than scanners.

I'm not defending FDISR, I just want to tell people to make the right choice in all these ISR-softwares and if you don't need multiple snapshots, just don't use FDISR and use PowerShadow instead or another similar software.

13. namdog

namdog Registered Member

yes. :D

I should say like this:

Powershadow can prevent malware from haunting around your system.
    You can eradicate malware just after reboot. Foolproof.

14. ErikAlbert

FDISR does both and a frozen snapshot keeps your system unchanged.

15. namdog

namdog Registered Member

I said before that both Powershadow and FDISR are great software.

The reason that I don't like FDISR is because it re-partition my hard disk and occupies lots of space. I use Ghost, which covers some functions of FDISR.

Powershadow has its shortcoming. It can not keep status after reboot. If one software need reboot before working, then it is out of powershadow's reach.
    Well, this is not Powershadow's shortcoming. It is limitation of usage.

I must say, it is hard to find Powershadow's shortcoming, because it is too simple.

16. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Finally, exactly the answer i been trying to draw out from my most recent inquiries today although i focus specifically on the FREEZE snapshot feature of FD-ISR

SCENARIO: Power Shadow is in shadow-mode and user reboots to dump/eliminate good/bad changes to that session.
    Everything is returned to Pristine condition again and working wonderfully as usual thanks to Power Shadow. We're now back in normal windows again.

Suddenly and without warning a website from some Google search launches a new rapid-drop virus that proceeds to corrupt systems files and who knows what else :blink: System Restore is been disabled by the errant code released and points erased or (like in my case), no manner of repair brings up System Restore (unresponsive), even in safe mode or recovery console. Oh Crap! Well theres always the Install CD right? But what of all the time that's going to consume plus re-installing the myriad programs accummalated over the months you come to depend on either for work or play. Now What?

That right there to me is what makes FD-ISR an invaluable rescue solution. So see? That proggy possesses a lot more importance then some might give it credit for. Is anyone following the gist of this?

17. namdog

namdog Registered Member

Both Powershadow and FDISR can keep system unchanged, but they use different methods.

I think FDISR use backup image and write back to the whole hard disk, but Powershadow discards the changes on hard drive.

IMHO, Powershadow is light and efficient than FDISR in this specific feature.

18. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Again no, it can not prevent anything. Powershadow can restore what you have destroyed by unleashing malware.

But wait, is this mine-is-bigger-than-yours thread? :D

Good, I'm outta here. ;)

Cheers. :thumb:

19. ErikAlbert

PowerShadow is too limited for me. I can't do with PowerShadow, what I do with FDISR.
    As Acadia always says : FDISR is not for users with simple wishes and it requires also a longer learning curve.
    It's reliability is proven over and over again and I use it for more than a year.
    I don't need another one, unless I find one with MORE functions.

20. namdog

namdog Registered Member

Share some former experience. In fact I trialed Rollback Rx Last week.

I don't want this software change my hard drive partition so I installed Rollback Rx in VirtualBox. It looks good.
    It DO support multi-snapshots. But I am also confused with several snapshots.
    I was not sure the difference between those snapshots even I wrote comments for each one.
    I don't know what will happen if I choose wrong snapshots from the list.

Maybe my brain degenerates because of Powershadow's foolproof operation.

Then I uninstalled Rollback Rx.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  21. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

@Eric.

It's only too limited for you because you already experienced FIRST! the time/nerve-saving virtue of perhaps the very best rescue app to surface in this cyber world of computer operating systems, chiefly & specifically, NTFS Windows. Anyone else with FD-ISR would echo those same sentiments.

22. namdog

namdog Registered Member

Powershadow is for users with simple wishes and it doesn't require a longer learning curve.
    (This sentence credits to Eric :) )

23. ErikAlbert

Well I have a picture of PowerShadow now, I can't use it.
    For me this chapter is closed. Good luck with PS. :thumb:

24. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Hi namdog

I for one am a believer in PS. I've hammered it with every conceivable malware/rootkit i keep in my collection, which are many, not to mention even the commonly available demos. In fact, PS is a major asset in my collecting samples to pass on to the big vendors and/or their loyals, also for my own research to test "real-time" malware that are designed to distract windows normal operations & re-structure vital system files.

Power Shadow courtesy Chuck57 introduced an important turning point in my own security experiments as well as protection during normal online surfing. Short of having to resort to a hard reboot, PS is proven it is more than adequate and very up to task of successfully confining malicious intrusions to it's shadowed field and safely showing it will DISMISS any changes made in shadow-mode upon a simple restart. It's stable and doesn't tax either resources or memory for all that it's able to accomplish. Even if something hangs up ypur explorer or stalls your screen unusable, even after a manual (hard reboot) reboot Power Shadow continues to OBEY commands and you safely return to your previous clean system state with no issues.
    I'm high on this program because it works and furnishes the need to safely dump potential problem files after you're done. Add another HD and you can transfer files you deem worthy to keep and that's a beneficial feature in my book

25. DanHonemann

DanHonemann Registered Member

That's what Acronis True Image is for, no?

With a disk image, you can fdisk the hard drive (ensuring that the malware hasn't infected the MBR... something an FD-ISR can't do, as far as I know), reformat, and then restore your image and feel completely secure that you've eliminated anything that may have infected your system since the image was created.

I'm interested in FD-ISR as I keep reading glowing reports (and I'm a dual-license user of PerfectDisk so I trust the company), but I'm curious as to what benefit it would bring me that TI doesn't... enough to justify the space consumed by the snapshot(s) on my hard drive (laptop here, so limited space; I run TI only from a bootable CD).

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.