Power Shadow

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffBuck

JeffBuck Registered Member

Only admit it?! ...
    It's amazing its compatibility ... I've never seen another like it before!
    Now it's running with Black Ice PC Protection, last version (3.6.cqc) and, as always, no problem :cool:

2. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Excellent!!! :cool:

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: If I remember correctly, many virtualization apps, such as power shadow, freeze/unfreeze partition/drive at kernel level. Therefore , if there is any security app is in conflict w/ this type of app, the problem would be likely coming from that sector. BlackIce Protection is an network IPS, works very well w/ another firewall, also I would not expect any problem arising from being w/ any virtualization apps. I have been using BlackIce Protection for a long time, surely a keeper and an asset.

4. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

I remember I was having some trouble with versions 2.6 once in a while I get a BSOD resulting from the snpshot.sys driver non paged fault error 0x00000050 (0xfffffff8, 0x00000001, 0xF78AC37E, 0x00000000) and some times a bad pool caller BSOD. This would happen randomly sometimes when I launch the program into shadow mode I would get the normal screen wave then nothing as if it failed to go into shadow mode which it did, then I would either restart my comp or it would BSOD before I could restart. In the BSOD screen it would always reference the snpshot.sys driver as being the problem. Currently using version 2.82 and so far so good, I have not experienced any BSOD as stated above. I installed 2.82 while I had PG already installed protecting my main system files from being modified definitely a good idea to have something protecting it before installing the program.

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I Tried PowerShadow and got the same results I did when I tried BufferZone.
    System crashed and would not boot up into windows.Good thing for RollBack Rx.Before PowerShadow messed up my system it just did not work,going into shadowmode fine then downloading a few things (updates,an app and a vidio game)I left shadowmode it rebooted and everything that i downloaded was still there.Must be a conflic with something else that I have. Done with those kind of apps.Sorry it did not work for me because I like the idea of being able to go into shadowmode.

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Only app that auto starts here is PC tools firewall.FF with Noscript kicks in through Sandboxie.

Since using PowerShadow I haven't had a single prob with no slowdowns or conflicts but I don't have a way over the top security setup that can give rise to such conflicts.

I have installed a heap of crappy programs and browsers just to try them out in shadow mode with not a skerrick remaining of such after a reboot.

PowerShadow is a kick butt app and I will take the oppurtunity here to thank Chuck57 for introducing me to it.:)

Might add that I am also a defacto friends and families pc "looker afterer" with PowerShadow giving no probs on around a dozen other PCs I have installed it on.

7. LoneWolf

Way over the top,I think not. Secure,I think so.The only software that conflicted was PowerShadow,so I will not make my PC less secure by removing any apps just so that one will work.It works for you that's great,mine works for me.All I was stating was that PowerShadow does NOT work with all apps.Nothing more,nothing less.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Sorry to see some configs are not to task with Power Shadow but those are in the few minority IMO. It seems those issues are far and few in-between. I haven't had any difficulty myself on Pro XP machine with Power Shadow from since the very first day Chuck57 dropped this treasure into the Topic here.

I even uninstalled then re-installed 2.6 again the other day just to see what if any differences or issues might crop up during & after and it still works OUTSTANDING!

The snpshot.sys driver might indeed conflict with other security progs as been pointed out by some like yankinandcrankin who btw did post to some success with it early on.

9. Ratbag

Ratbag Registered Member

I know this isn't a powershadow support forum but I wonder if anybody has the same issue as me:

:)

10. yankinNcrankin

I have shadowtip.exe set to not start up when system boots also I have shadowservice.exe set to manual instead of auto. So according to process explorer I got nothing running until I launch PowerShadow using shadowsetting.exe short cut that I made to my quick launch then shadowtip.exe ends up running according to process explorer. Works fine so far no problems.

Attached Files:

• PS.png
      PS.png
      File size:
      2.2 KB
      Views:
  11. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Does Power Shadow work with RAID 0 System Drive?

12. JeffBuck

JeffBuck Registered Member

No, RAID isn't supported :ouch:

13. theshadow247

theshadow247 Registered Member

the only software i have had problems using p.s with is rollback rx.while in shadow mode i do a reboot and all changes to the system are still there.p.s showes as being in shadow mode but its not..

14. LoneWolf

How do you know it conflicted with Rollback Rx? What did you finally do? Get rid of one or the other?

15. theshadow247

theshadow247 Registered Member

i read in this forum that p.s is compatable with firstdefense isr.so i uninstalled rollback rx and cleaned it out of my reg and system and installed f.isr.and i havn't had eny problems with p.s sins..

16. Franklin

Just a bit of further info on registration.

Done a fresh XP pro format - reinstall on another machine without the internet connected.

On installing PowerShadow 2.8.2 from my saved apps cd it came up as registered without any need to enter any details.

17. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I noted the same thing but forgot all about it until now.
    On the machine that I'm testing PS on I have 2 internal hard disks, C with a FAT partition E and D. Formatted C and installed PS and was registered straight off, I just presumed that there is information on D that PS has used.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thats, weired. Why it should be auto-registered even after format? I don,t feel good!

19. namdog

namdog Registered Member

I think Powershadow may mark a flag in hard drive reserved sector.

Is this very dangerous to write a flag in reserved sector? please help me with this question.

20. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: PS v.2.8.2 requires online registration/activation, while v.2.6 just entering user name and code. This is one of several changes between these two. FYI

21. yankinNcrankin

I have v2.82 and I never was connected online when mine was already activated maybe cause it read the 2.6 versions' activation and used that one instead. Oh yeah and about the reformat thing and doing a clean install of windows then installing PowerShadow again and not having to re-activate it I have the same results. It probably could be using that hidden shadow text files that hides on other partitions that some people have to seperate their data from their OS. If thats not it then like some one else said the registration info is safely stored in a sector of the hardrive and is protected from normal formatting. If this bothers you, just delete the main partition, then recreate, then reformat the partition and it should then require you to register all over again. Check this out, they got malware that uses deep freeze & rollbackrx like technology that will remain safe and dormant through normal reformat and clean install, as it waits for detection of active OS partition to boot, welcome to a new breed. :D I have found deleting the infected partition, then recreating , then reformatting gets rid of this type of malware.

22. Franklin

Good advice yankinNcrankin.:)

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Do u have any samples of such a malware?

BTW I will repeat that I don,t feel good about this issue at all.
    I had installed and registered PS 2.6 on my C partition( of single HD) and whenever I reinstalled after a fresh ATI image restore of C partition, PS was not auto-registered so fdor version 2,6 my findings are totally different.
    I wish if someone can investigate this matter fully.

24. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

At the moment I've just found shadowservice.log and shadow.idx - think this one is related to Storagecraft though - on the other hard disk. You maybe right namdog.

25. coen99

coen99 Registered Member

Don't try this program with volume/harddisk encryption programs.
    I had the boot volume encrypted (using Bestcrypt Volume Encryption) after installing
    Powershadow and a reboot, the system would not start anymore.
    Tried to restore my ghost image of C:.
    Unfortunately this did not work and I had to fdisk my mbr to get access to my partition again.
    After this I could finally write back my ghost image. :cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.