Power Shadow

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I know Meriadoc and others including myself, that vital rescue method built-in to PS is extremely crucial. No two ways about it.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

There is no official english version 2.8 , the translation might be even more of illegal!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Are u sure? I think they don,t offer english version as free.

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Why? No changes are made to the actual program. The UI is changed to English. It's on their site as free, just as the serial number is available on a Powershadow site.

We aren't talking about a warez site here.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am not sure about these issues, just my thoughts.

6. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Chuck57:
    For giving us all PS, I will give a Wilders discount for my legal services. Just make sure you get popped in New York. I love this program.

7. Chuck57

Ahahahahahaha, thank you benny. I'll remember the offer if they nail me back there. Somehow, I don't think it's going to be a problem. The software is free to download, and the serial number is freely available.

And, the 2.8.2 version is free.

It is the slickest, easiest to use virtual/sandbox type software I have ever found. I'm glad so many people agree with me, considering some of the junk I've found and mentioned here in the past. I guess anybody can get lucky once.

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Funny isn't it when you finally once-in-a-lifetime find a cure to microsofts forced ills the critics come blasting out with all sorts of negative suspicions.

Guess they know a good thing when they see it too but cringe at the prospect of it's securing abilities to save users tons on Excedrin and nerve sedatives. :D

My thanks also Chuck57, you have made a generous contribution to the community for bringing this to everyone's attention but the critics and doubters will have to feast on crow this time around.

9. Ratbag

Ratbag Registered Member

I've been playing with PS for a few days now and I'm impressed. However, I get the impression that some of you guys have a systray entry for it and I don't. If I want to deploy it I must run Powershadow Master. Because only the service is running, I don't get any "reminders" that I'm in shadow mode. I reinstalled to no avail.

I have winpatrol and shadowtip is showing as allowed at startup but it must shutdown instantly for some reason. Any ideas?

Thanks for introducing me to this great app!

;)

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: My reading from various sites has indicated that there is no clear link between Chicago-based HQ and Beijing-Based counterpart. Are they partners, no body knows so far. The PowerShadow.com in Bejing does some OEM works for offshore companies, and PowerShadowSecurity.com in Chicago could be very likely one of those. IMO, unless you copy their product and its code for commerical gain, there is very little they can do to you; for merely US$ 39.00 to sue you? I would not worry until be told othwerwise sometime in future. The main reason for its free offer in China is that cracked copy of v.2.6 has been widely circulated in that part of world since its debut. And its Chinese author feel obligated to contribute back to his own countrymen/women after making some success in USA mainly. V.2.8 is the first step of doing so; they are contemplating an initial lunch of enterprise version, while we in North America still awaiting its official English version of 2.8.(although been told of May this year). Good product indeed, but if its English version is a kind of OEM product, I worry about its lasting link between author and repackager. Just my loonie sense, not try to pour cold water over it. Have a nice one.

11. Chuck57

All I know is both the 2.6 and 2.8.2 version work very well.

I'm not planning to upgrade to Vista ever, since this is a new machine and ought to be good for at least a few years, and powershadow hasn't shown me a single problem or glitch of any kind with XP pro.

As for support or upgrading to a newer version, unless it appears with a way to get out of shadow mode without a reboot, I see no reason to upgrade.

I do some day see it being offered as a time limited trial like most other software with a dedicated serial number that changes daily.

12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I think theres more being made of this than is really needed. I use and will continue to use the 2.6 version offered freely on the vendors website untill it chokes which i doubt will happen unless some malware hacker takes up such an initiative which is highly unlikely given the huge inventory of all other sorts of sandboxies more easier for them to disassemble and puke on. Little humour there.

Likewise when the day arrives an upgraded version can exit as well as it enters shadow mode there is no need to change really.

Vista can go the way of the dinasour as far as i'm concerned and i offer no apologies for the neglect microsoft gave to 98/Me users instead of at least re-writing them one time more, which is beating a dead horse i griped over untill i'm blue in the face. I got everything on XP pro that Vista (eye candy) offers plus much more, just check neowin's forums, Aqua-Softs forums, virtual plastics, and plenty more customizing developers who are heads beyond Vista and have been since Windows 98. Don't get me started on microsoft's desertion of 98/Me users and withholding enhancements from XP for Vista because the web is full of articles and accurate reports to this little plan of theirs. If you have Vista, good for you, hope you find it worth the cash you shelled out. In the meantime my money is going to new motherboards, CPU's, Video Cards and other acessories to make XP continue to prove to M$ that Vista is nothing but a cheap farce.

Enough of that rant but it's deserved IMO.

Power Shadow more than makes up for the poor limitations offered us neglected XP users in the form of pee poor System Restore and that other back-up (system-state) gizmo named BackUp as in .bkf file. Bahhh!!

Why are products like FD-ISR so very exciting right now? Because everyone knows there is usually no wait out when windows won't boot or answer to Repair Console commands as it should been made too.

This is what pulled my tail out of having to do yet another reinstall thanks to poor M$ planning when it comes to the inevidable failure to boot to the GUI. I pity what happens when Vista goes belly up.
    http://www.aade.com/XPhint/XPrecovery.htm

Sorry i got off topic a bit but it bites me hard enough to spout when everytime surfaces a genuine alternative for a real authentic solution developed by someone other than Microsoft that
    has to cover for their gross limitations only to have suspicions and doubts raised to the validity of such a secure rescue program like Power Shadow.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2007
  13. chew

chew Registered Member

Thanks Chuck57 for introducing me to Power Shadow and the rest (Yankin, EASTER et al) for their detail analysis. :thumb:

Yes, I am not planning to upgrade to Vista as my system is physically incapable of (Dell Inspiron laptop with max RAM 512mb only) doing so and I must say I am very happy with PS2.6 and like you say unless the newer version can do without reboot, I will just remain where I am now.

If I were to upgrade my PC I would consider migrating to Apple Mac but I am not so sure yet because I need to be absolutely sure security is not compromise eventhough Apple users might disagree with me.

:D

14. Chuck57

A bit off topic, but I've been talking to a person who got a brand new Dell with 2CD's for a Vista upgrade. One was a dell management something, the other the dell vista upgrade. It took several hours for the upgrade - and then it trashed her system. She went to dell support and had to reformat and reinstall XP. She's sticking with XP.

Several Hours to do an upgradeo_Oo_O You can get the MS copy of Vista upgrade and install the full version of Vista from it - although MS doesn't like to tell you that - in about an hour, maybe hour and a half.

XP Pro works fine for me. If I want the Vista look, I'll go to Apple who I think they stole it from anyway.

15. JeffBuck

JeffBuck Registered Member

For the report I only wanted to add that there are no problem of compatibility between PowerShadow and CoreForec :)

16. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

More great news of compatibility with other programs, now CoreForce. Thank You JeffBuck for sharing that result. All the best!

17. ako

ako Registered Member

Here some more: Prevx1, F-secure IS 2007, PG all work without problems

18. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

is 2.8.2 english versiono_O i currently using 2.6 english.....

19. Chuck57

2.8.2 is in Chinese. The only difference I see is that the shadow mode warnings that appear on the 4 corners of the desktop are in white lettering. Other than that, nothing seems any different. I'd stay with 2.6.
    Here are the links to 2.82. Don't know if they're still active but you can try one of them.

http://rapidshare.com/files/12664619...glish.zip.html

or

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i2wv6t

Instructions and installer included. Remember to uninstall 2.6 before installing 2.82

20. JeffBuck

JeffBuck Registered Member

It is also compatible with Altiris Software Virtualization System.

A little "trouble" I notice ... logging as limited user, if you choose windows shutdown without before QUIT from PS, the PC "freeze" at shutdown.
    Instead, logging as Power User, PS advices if you are really want to restart/shutdown, and then all goes ok.

21. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Thanks for the info on that issue, does well to gather all personal notes of concern, we appreciate it. You do have to admit though that this Power Shadow isn't very hostile at all when it comes to compatibility with many other security programs, at least so far.

22. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I think the power of PS is in its simplicity and would not like to see it become overly complicated. We know that PS is being updated, so where would you like this software to go?

23. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

For openers a good start would be that long desired update/improvement of an ability for it to EXIT completely from the shadowed-mode WITHOUT the necessity first of rebooting.

Likewise, simplicity is wise and expect it won't be leaned on too much by it's makers.

24. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Yes without rebooting would be nice, so how about keeping changes or, recovering files option.

25. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Power Shadow has been widely and positively received by a good number of members. I am amazed by its ability of changing to shadow mode on the fly w/o rebooting(I am using other app lacking this feature). I think that feature may be very unique (in terms of freezing whole partion or whole drive, not just sandboxing an app). If PowerShadow can come up w/ the feature that can exit shadow mode w/o reboot, I will be among the first ones to try it out. IMO, it is not impossible, but it is a sort of next level tech. Let keep our fingers crossed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.