Power Shadow

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Chuck57, Jan 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitchelson

mitchelson Registered Member

Try this key:
    VVR29E-R4WCK2-K4T111-V1YHTP-4JYJDD (used in the TW version, so I don't know if it works in english version); user name: PowerShadow
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have uesd this program for about 1 year, really very stable and easy to use. I like the traditional chinese version (promoted for Taiwan and HongKong market)which may be better than the simplifed chinese version.

Here is an english version of PS, from the official website:
    http://www.powershadow.com/cn/downen.asp

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  2. mitchelson

Although PS is a "perfect" free software, it can't protect PCfrom all viruses and malwares, especially in the "single shadow mode".

So I ues PS with other security programs: Avira Antivirus Personaledition classic + OutPost firewall + SafeSystem 2006 + Cyberhawk Professional ;) ; besides, I also diabled the "auto play" function of windows xp .

3. korb

korb Registered Member

what version of the chinese are you using?and where you get the TW version.i'm using the simplifed version 2.8

4. mitchelson

here:
    http://www.powershadow.com/cn/downbig.asp

Iam using the 2.6 version, because I got some infor that the latest version , I mean the 2.8.2version ,maybe have some problems( may write the MBR, I am not sure).

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Very wise choice, PS is no substitute for security, in fact it's to "help" keep some unknown from penetrating natural defenses and makes it possible for you to dismiss and cancel such an effect should your security program malfucntion or fail at some point.

6. mitchelson

u r completely right!
    security needs effort, but brings ease.
    With some skills and programs, now , I can say that my computer is quite safe and "nearlly "no virus/ spyware/ malware, with capability to defend common hackers. There is nothing to worry about. :shifty:

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Shadow System Service within services if set to manual doesn't seem to startup when going into shadow mode so may not really be needed to be set at the default - automatic.

No ill effects here and it seems to still work as usual.

Or maybe it's actually starting in realmode but not showing in shadowmode?

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Well, whatever it does it does it with the greatest of ease and blows the other virtusl sandboxies clear out the windows. I can't even find a leftover after dismising it' s setting shdow settings, so thats all it needs to make it worth it;s design in gold for some of us.

9. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

Comodo Firewall Pro alerted this ..... allow or deny...

something like this

c:windows\system32\shadow\shadowtip.exe .....pdesktop.dll into the parent explorer.exe using global hook which could be using keyloggers to steal private info.......

10. Franklin

Just block it if your worried about it as there are no consequences in doing so.
    See below.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=167642

11. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

12. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I have shadowtip.exe blocked and have no problem using firefox or my regular browser MSIE 7.

Speaking of browsers, does anyone know the name and download site of a browser developed in Japan or by some Japanese guy, I think. It was mentioned in some thread once a couple of months ago, and is supposed to be very good. I remember seeing the name and finding it in a search but decided to wait to download it, and promptly spaced it and the name.

This is what happens when you hit 60 yrs old.

13. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Important to note: I threw some heavy malware at Cyberhawk while testing the latest release and everything went pretty well untill i gave it something severe that knocked my system out into a forced reset, Power Shadow was enabled at the time for obvious purposes of safeguarding such a misfortune. I am very happy to report Power Shadow saved the day and even though i didn't even get a chance to exit it thanks to the malware knocking it off-air, upon reboot everything was exactly back to normal again.

Now that really has my attention plus extra confidence in it.

14. Chuck57

Question, Easter. IF you hadn't had powershadow, are you saying that CH failed that test and your system would have been knocked out?

15. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

No HIPS or AS/AV are 100% failproof, so that's exactly what i'm saying. The malware hit something in the circuitry solid enough to by pass CH plus flagrantly distort the screen terribly. Now mind you i keep some pretty formidable characters which some are not even in circulation, sometimes i "bind" my own little creations just to see how security programs might handle them when turned loose.

Maybe i'll repeat that sequence again tonight, it was enough for me PS restored me a complete working machine again and i could rest easy for another night.:D

16. Chuck57

Well, I've had SSM on board for a couple of weeks. Almost a record. Maybe I'll wander back to CH again, or give prosecurity a shot to see if the new version cured the BSOD problem here. Sometimes I wish I'd never heard of HIPS.

17. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Chuck57 keep SSM and add the newest CyberHawk. I can't speak for everyone's config but i see a marked improvememnt in this Cyberhawk then before so unless it goes totally arry it's staying put and if it passes my bulldozer test of junk well enough i'm sure i'll go Pro at some point although theres really no security program except Kaspersky AV i would ever need to go Pro with or dish out a 1 year license renewal.
    Lifetime license i agree with.

These computer soft programs are but really toys for me, not like my vehicle or home or some appliance that can be easily replaced. That's why i keep a PC budget at bare minimum and contribute mostly to third-party developers who don't demand a yearly license just for something that will eventually lose it's value and always could happen in just a matter of days then what do you do about it. Return it?

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will suggest not to post key here and rather refer to the actual site.

Also According to PS people the free key is licenced only for Chineese version 2.6., nothing more than this, as I understand. It,s the main reason that I am not using PS now.

19. Chuck57

That key and user name has been posted 4 or 5 times throughout this long thread. Besides, I think most of us got our PS 2.6 from the Chinese site, where I think they still offer an English version. Both are also available in a Chinese Powershadow forum where it was originally found.

20. Franklin

With version 2.8.2 no serial is required.A first name and email address all that is required to have a registered version.
    Registered.jpg

21. Chuck57

I have both. Still have the v2.8.2 installed, but have the 2.6 exe sitting on my other drive along with the serial number. They're virtually the same as far as I can tell.

But, point taken. For anyone concerned about v2.6 being illegal, go with 2.8.2and copy the English translation available somewhere in this thread. As far as I can tell, they're virtually identical, meaning they both work beautifully to protect you.

I haven't read of a single thing beating Powershadow yet. Once you reboot, or turn off your computer if something really nasty gets aboard, next time you turn on your PC every trace of that bad thing will be gone.

22. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Hey Chuck57. From one obsessive software installer to another, (LOL) let me ask you this. How easy is Power Shadow to install and uninstall, and is this rebooting safe? Also do you still use SSM Free, and if so how do you like it? I had it on board for a short time in learning mode, but then decided to use Cyberhawk again instead. However after reading what EASTER.2010 posted about using them together, I was thinking of doing this for awhile and then maybe just using SSM Free with Power Shadow. Take care and I'll look for your replies.

23. Chuck57

I've uninstalled powershadow once. That was to take out v2.6 and look at the 2.8.2 version to see if there were any differences. It went without a problem, with a few traces left over that I took care of with reg seeker or one of the other registry cleaners I use.

Installation of 2.6, is a piece of cake. No problems whatsoever. Just be sure to copy and paste the number and user name in the post above. For some reason, it doesn't like having them typed in. Other than that, it's smooth and easy.

I have SSM installed. I installed it, rebooted twice in learning mode, and opened every piece of software I use regularly. Then, I took it out of learning mode and haven't had many popups since, except with those programs I only occasionally use. I leave them unchecked. That's so I can see a popup now and then that let's me know SSM is still there and working (Don't ask me. It's a quirk I have). I haven't gotten any deeper into it than that. Had it for a couple of weeks now, so am getting the itch to try something else. I'm resisting the urge.

I did run RKUnhooker and just about every program is hooked by SSM, which I guess is good.

It runs without a problem with Powershadow. Have PS running right now, for the first time in over a week and not a problem. I haven't found anything that Won't run with Powershadow, although I did download one program some time ago that wouldn't install under PS. Don't recall what it was now. If it wouldn't install and let me check to see if I wanted to keep it, I didn't want it. All I can remember is, it wasn't a security related software.

24. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I can confirm that as recently as last night while surfing a known drive-by download site i gave the first dropper internet access and, SSM/CH/ST began popping up with alerts and names/locations of a series of files [8] plus a driver file ([1]sys) that surely had all sorts of interest in overwriting/modifying system files plus gumming up matters royally. It reached a point of manually resetting/rebooting the PC and after all that everything returned to as if nothing ever happened. I did manage however to capture and move the offenders while SSM had each one in suspended animation. Wonderful technology! For both safety and research.

25. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I totally agree, very good for this. I'm very interested in where this software is going next with it being updated. Perhaps some fixes?? I've been testing everything in shadow and noticed a problem with my burnin app. All I've done to it so far has had no adverse effect to the PC even when crashed no changes have been made, everything gets reversed. Think I'm gonna spend some more time looking at Power Shadow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.