Post your computer specs!

Discussion in 'hardware' started by CrusherW9, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E525 bought 2 years ago and I can still play the newest games I like, so I do not plan to upgrade anytime soon. :)

- CPU: AMD A4-3300 APU 1,9 GHz - undervolted and overclocked to 2,0 Ghz, when need to 2,5 Ghz
    - RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
    - GPU: APU AMD Radeon HD 6380G
    - Hard Drive: 500GB WD 5400RPM
    - Audio: SB X-Fi Surround 5.1
    - Headphones: Sennheiser RS 170
    - Keyboard: Logitech Wireless K360
    - Mouse: Logitech Wireless M705

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

My laptop is an Acer. :D

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Good to hear that this netbook still has life in it. Yeah, I upgraded cause I wanted more multitasking. Couldn't open a lot of Chrome tabs before (on heavier websites). Mine is silver. Too lazy to clean it lol, maybe if I need to.

Yeah, I tend to see that Vista+ drivers are usually backwards compatible.

Did you change the resolutio to 1376x768? As long as it works for you.

Mine is still fine for my needs.

4. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Which model? Nice specs.

Yeah it's running great. It was nearly useless for sometime before making the upgrades thanks to a dear friend.

Yeah I also had faced it. Couldn't use Chrome. Firefox ran but slowly and not many tabs. Now runs great. What did you do with your 1GB RAM?

Too lazy to clean it lol, maybe if I need to.[/QUOTE]
    Doesn't it get hot and slow? I measured the temperature with HDD Sentinel before and after cleaning the fan and interior. Nearly 6 degrees cooler now. And no more slow down.

Acer only offers Win 7 drivers for the model. And they all work with Win8. But the bluetooth driver doesn't work in Win 8.1. So no bluetooth currently. I'm in contact with Support and hopefully a solution will soon come.

I don't know how to. So I didn't mess with it. Left it in default. Do you know how to upgrade the resolution? Would you kindly show me how?

Yes mine also serves my purposes right.:)

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Laptop: Lenovo T61, 1.8ghz Core2Duo, 4gb ram and a Hitachi 5400rpm 160gb drive (which runs faster than the 7200rpm 80gb drive it came with). Has the nicer 1400x900 display.

Media machine: Dell 530s with Pentium Core Duo 2.0ghz, intel integrated GPU, 2gb ram upgraded with a 500gb Hitachi Cinemastar drive. Fast enough to run 720p content on XBMC , 1080p movies stutter on action scenes, but my TV is only 720p and I watch mostly DVDs. Uses 70 watt peak according to the Environmental sheet.

Workstation : Pentium dual Core 1.8ghz, 2gb DDR2, 2x Hitachi Cinemastar (low energy 5400rpm drives designed for 24x7 usage), Seasonic PSU 80 plus broze certified, think its a 350 Watt model. Should use about 60 watt peak - useful as this machine is often on most of the time, used for long downloads, printing, movie transcoding and other long running tasks like backing up to the internet.

At work I have a Levono T420 laptop and my favourite server to admin is a 48 core, 64gb ecc, lots of 600gb drives in raid 10 to make 10-12TB usable storage for our database.

6. DX2

DX2 Guest

Inspiron 7000 Series 7537 BTX Base Touch Screen
    4th Generation Intel Core i7-4500U Processor
    16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz
    256GB Solid State Drive
    NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 750M 2GB DDR5
    Windows 8, 64-bit

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

What did they upgrade?

I could run Chrome, since Linux Mint XFCE is lightweight, but only around 7 tabs. I just put the 1GB RAM in the case of the 2GB for now.

Didn't really measure, but not unbearably hot. As for slowdowns, I thought it's only because of the weak CPU.

Ah too bad. I couldn't seem to get it working in Linux Mint either, hopefully version 17 will change that. Good luck.

Don't know either, I thought that was what happened after you made the registry tweak.

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

My friend sent me the 2GB RAM and the 500GB 7200rpm HDD. I replaced the battery with a new one, changed the OS to the latest one, cleaned the interior and the fan, got a wireless mouse and keyboard, cut down on the number of software and apps, use it more sensibly and voila! The netbook works like a charm. Good as new and serves my computing purposes right. Very satisfied with it now.

Oh I see.

Oh I see. I have kept the 1GB on the shelf now.

Oh then it may be that your one still hasn't caught much dust. You're lucky cause you have to open every part of the netbook to reach the fan and open it further to clean it thoroughly. I broke the keyboard/touchpad latch in doing so. I was careful enough but to no avail. Furthermore, the locks holding the keyboard are made of mere plastic and the only way to open the keyboard is to pull it out strongly. As a result the locks broke like crispy potato chips leaving only two lock in place.

For normal daily work, the weak CPU wouldn't slow down that much. Like you got your strong MSI laptop for your heavy work so you can use the netbook for lighter work. It really slows down when it gets hot. Now mine is cooler and not slowed down anymore.:)

Yeah it's bad. Well if I can't get Acer Support to give me a driver compatible with Win 8.1 I will have to revert back to Win 8.:(

Oh I misunderstood you. Actually I didn't check the resolution after making the registry teak. I'll check it and tell you.:)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  9. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Dell Inspiron 530
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8300 CPU, @ 2.83 ghz
    4 GB (2x2GB) DDR2 RAM (forget speed), 4 dimms, 8 GB max
    250 GB Western Digital Blue SATA HD
    Radion HD 3600 series Video Card
    XP Pro SP3... awaiting Win7 Pro 32-bit

I got this box only recently to handle the upgrade to Win7. But for the previous 8 years I got by with:

Dell Dimension 3000
    Intel Celeron single core CPU @ 2.4 ghz
    2 GB (2x1GB) PC2700 DDR RAM, 2 dimms (but had 512 MB, then 1 GB most of it's life)
    160 GB Western Digital Blue EIDE HD
    Onboard video
    XP Pro SP3

and she ran like a charm, even at 512 MB RAM. Though I did notice a definite increase when I bumped it up to 1 GB. But when bumping it up to 2 GB noticed nothing.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  10. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Those specs are from my desktop.
    My laptop has crappy specs/hardware.
    Its an Acer with an AMD E-350 APU, 2GB of RAM, 250GB HDD.

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh I see. Your laptop is similar to mine then. Does it run okay?

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Too many machines to list in a single post.
    Mrk

13. guest

guest Guest

Just one you use the most, or your favorite, or your newest?

14. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I totally HATE it. Not the brand but the system specs.
    I initially bought it to use it as a media device (HTPC) for my parents to watch online streaming but they didnt like it because it was kinda hard to learn to use some programs so i ended up using it for school.
    Its probably the slowest PC i've ever used!

The CPU is slow, it gets chocked by playing HD videos in Youtube, the HDD is slow as hell, everything is slow!

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Oh come on, I have worse specs in my desktop from 2003 than what you've got in there. :D
    Wich is why I don't post my specs :p

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you'd soon be able to replace it with a good one.:)

17. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha i dont think i'll be replacing it anytime soon, unless someone i get to sell it. :rolleyes:

No man, you gotta use it to know how slow it is. :D

18. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

19. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

My most powerful box:

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe mobo
    Intel I5-2500k CPU
    4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3
    Nvidia 570GTX card with 1.5GB DDR5 VRAM
    1 x WD Caviar Black 500GB disk
    4 x WD Caviar Black 2TB disks
    2 x DVD burner
    750W Thermaltake Toughpower Gold PSU with a seven-year warranty
    Antec Nine Hundred 2 V3 case, with 2x12cm front, 20cm top, 1x14cm + 1x12cm rear fan

Mrk

20. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Toshiba Satellite, it works for me.

Attached Files:

21. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

* AMD FX-8350
    * Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5
    * G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1866Mhz
    * Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard
    * Thermalright Venomous X Black
    * Enermax TB Silence fans
    * Asus BW-12B1LT
    * Scythe Kaze Master KM01-BK
    * Lian Li PC9F
    * Crucial M4 128GB
    * WD Elements 1TB external
    * WD Caviar Black 500GB
    * Seagate Barracuda 3TB
    * Sapphire 6950 reference design
    * Seasonic X-Series 560W PSU
    * Zowie AM
    * Microsoft Intelli Explorer 3.0
    * Puretrak Talent
    * Filco Majestouch 2 -Brown-
    * Filco Ninja tenkeyless -blue-
    * Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250Ω
    * Samsung Syncmaster BX2450

22. CrusherW9

CrusherW9 Registered Member

VERY nice sir! Lots of quality gear. The STX is supposed to be really nice; I almost picked one up myself. I see you like your mice/keyboards. I just got my WASD v2 with MX-Browns just the other day and LOVE it! I also picked up a Razer DeathAdder and Roccat Kone Pure the other day to demo the shapes of them. I went back and forth on which one I liked more but I'm basically set on the DA. I'm going to return the Roccat. I looked into those Zowie mice but the DPI is just too low. I need 3200.

23. c2d

c2d Registered Member

HP ProBook 4530s

Intel i3-2330M
    4GB
    AMD Radeon 7400M

24. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

The zowie am is the best mouse I ever had and worth every single penny. And I had many different mice. The DA is one of the few good mice from razer. Good choice. Also like you mentioned I will never ever go back to a membrane keyboard. For typing blue switches all the way.

25. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

The Delux M618GL is the best mouse I have ever used. Mine stopped working after about 6 months, so the quality needs to be improved. But I love the ergonomic design, and if I still used mice I would buy another without question. At the moment I just use the trackpad on my laptop as I don't use my laptop on a desk, so have no use for a mouse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.