Post-FCC Privacy Rules, Should You VPN?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by ronjor, Mar 31, 2017.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/03/post-fcc-privacy-rules-should-you-vpn/

2. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

I'm just waiting for that "special" deal from ISPs where you get to pay for having what you used to get by law. No monitoring if you buy this "extra" package. They just have to price is slightly less than a VPN - and who knows, maybe they'll even offer a form of VPN themselves.

3. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Oh, gawd, I was gonna ask my ISP that. lol! A one stop Internet shop. Seriously, my ISP is actually very good but it'll succumb to the same nauseating downward trend so my loyalty is tenuous. I throw my garbage in the garbage. I don't have the words to describe that my online "garbage" is to be harvested, tracked and examined for others' gain.

Edit: What bugs me is what this suggests for the future. Is some of today's backdoors/malware going to be legally sanctioned and justified? I see brainwashing attempts already via the media.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2017
  4. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

Wasn't there some ISP already that did something like that year or two ago? Offering "premium" non-tracking connection package ?
    Verizon maybe ?

(dirty weasels...)

5. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

Yes, it was the super-cookie stuff from what I recall. But now they'd have no reason to be covert.

6. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Right. It was ATT&T: a standard option of $70 a month, and a steeper $99 price for for fibre optic customers who opted out of its web browsing tracking.

7. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  8. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Well, Bahnhof was bundling a VPN at one point, to fight Swedish data retention.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.