post-commands should run after verify

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by saph03, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saph03

saph03 Registered Member

I create a nightly image *with verify*.

As part of the task, I run a Post-command that is a batch file.
    This batch file simply renames backup images in order to keep a sliding series of the last four backups: 1,2,3,4

My backup logs are reporting failures because the verify process cannot open the backup image. This is because the file has been renamed already.

I can restructure my batch files, but:

Suggestion: shouldn't the user commands run after ALL Acronis tasks?

I would like my commands to run ONLY after Acronis has created AND VERIFIED the image. (I don't want my command to slide my backup series if there is a failure with the image.)

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello saph03,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that in the current version of Acronis True Image the commands or batch files specified in "Before backup process" or "After backup process" will be automatically executed before and after the backup procedure accordingly.

Please also have a look at this thread <Automatically renaming scheduled backups with verification>, which could be useful.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I took a fast exit from the all the little pitas involved with batch files and pre-post commands, etc when ATI 10 came out. It obviated the need for batch files to rename backups. I understand that there are still reasons to do it the "Old fashioned" way but to me, it was like hand-cranking to start the car engine.

good luck, sh

4. saph03

saph03 Registered Member

shieber,

You are right - the "Backup Locations" is definitely the way to accomplish what I want and I have started using that. Thanks for the tip.

However, there remains a good case for tacking on a batch file:
    I wish to copy the backup to a remote drive after Acronis is done. Most conveniently, I would just do this as a Post-command in the the Acronis scheduled task.

It is not as helpful if the copy occurs before the verify instead of after...

5. whitedavidp

whitedavidp Registered Member

I also want to be able to rename a backup file and it MUST be done AFTER the verification. I note that the thread mentioned about is from way back in 2004 and that in it the Acronis moderator says:

"However, we do have plans to implement an option allowing one to select whether to perform post-backup commands before or after the automatic image archive validation."

Given this thread, it appears that the issue persists and I, for one, have not seen any option governing when post commands are run in version 10 Home. Am I missing something here or has the option proposed in 2004 still not been made by 2007?

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello saph03 and whitedavidp,

The current versions of Acronis True Image execute pre/post commands the way I have described above (they executed before and after the backup procedure).

As Alexey Popov said in the thread I have mentioned we do have plans to implement this option and the suggestion to change the behavior of Acronis True Image to run pre/post commands after the validation process competed was made and it is currently under consideration. By the way, the above thread was created on April 2006.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

7. whitedavidp

whitedavidp Registered Member

Sorry, you are correct about the date. I was seeing the user's joining date for the forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.