Possible trojan infection?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Spray-on Dust, Dec 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spray-on Dust

Spray-on Dust Registered Member

Hello, all. Congratulations on a great product, TDS-3. I appreciate the hard work and great value you've given us in your products. I wish you nothing but the best with TDS-4.

Now down to business, I think I may be infected with a trojan. :'( What happened was I was surfing the web today and downloading a few small files, but all the files were downloading slowly. 30-40k. Then I was getting small hangs in my DC++ file sharing application every few moments. Then it started happening in every prog/app I worked with. I then started up TDS-3 and it wouldn't go past the memory scan part on start-up. I gave it a two minutes or so and still nothing. So I closed it and started it again but still the same result. Bear in mind I've never had a hang in TDS-3 before whatsoever, so i'm a little worried. Also, it worked fine about an hour or so earlier when I turned on my pc and tried to update the dat file. I haven't restarted the pc yet because I heard you shouldn't do that if you think you might be infected.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, guys.

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there!
    Have you tried other options, online scanners, ad-aware, spybotS&D, and if after the startup scans you try another TDS scan, maybe in safe mode if all the rest is not working?
    If you look in the AutoStart Explorer in TDS or the AutoStartViewer from the DCS products site, a HJT log, anything suspicious showing there?

3. Spray-on Dust

Thanks for the swift response, Jooske. I ran Webroot's SpySweeper and came up empty and I ran Spybot and have SpywareBlaster installed as well. In any case, my machine doesn't seem to be experiencing any slow down now. I looked in task manager and don't see anything suspicious. But one thing that was perhaps a little strange was when I was running SpySweeper, it didn't show up in the applications section of task manager. At least for a few minutes, then I checked back and it was there. But then it disappeared again.

Actually now that I think about it, I saw this agentsvr.exe in the task manager, but I googled that and I saw that it was a part of TDS-3 since it was only in the task manager when I started TDS up.

Nevertheless i'm still getting that freeze up when I start the program.

Do you think it'd be safe to reboot to see if that clears it up?

Edit: Also I would try to disable the startup memory scan but I'm getting that hour glass icon thing when I click on the TDS window. It just won't let me do it. I'm going to try an online scanner now.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Spray-on Dust, Try booting into safe mode (by pressing F8 frequently just befor windows starts to load) then try running the start-up Scan again, if this is successful, select all of the Scan options and run a full system scan.
    Please report any findings.

Thanks. Pilli

Last edited: Dec 6, 2004
  5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Many people start TDS manually after a reboot, to speed up it's startup scans which can take some time.
    I start other programs when TDS is ready with that part.
    A full system scan for instance i do when i'm not aroudn the system once in a while and all unnecessary programs and other scanners closed.

The agentsvr.exe thing is part of the msagent program which TDS uses for the speech functionality, as do other programs like MSOffice etc. It doesn't use much RAM, so shouldn't cause your system to slow down.
    ( www.microsoft.com/msagent )

6. Spray-on Dust

Just an update on whats been going on:

Everything seems to be back to normal now. I ran the Norton online scan and found nothing. Booted into safe mode and scanned the system with TDS-3 and didn't find anything.

Hopefully it was just a small glitch.

Thanks for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.