Possible to "lock" DNS settings?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Snoop3, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

i use Acrylic DNS Proxy and so the DNS is set to 127.0.0.1 but every few hours something keeps resetting them to the original, which bypasses Acrylic :(

i suspect it might be Sprint SmartView since they intercept DNS requests on 3G if sent on port 53 anyway. how can i stop it?

also, i use the DNSJumper program and would be nice to be able to let only that program change the settings.

tia.

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Without knowing what kind of a system you are on, generally speaking, I would look to login as admin on your hardware router - and change the password to the admin account after finding out from your router provider the length of the password field in order to change it without borking it (if you have one) and reset all (there may be more than just the two - wireless, wired, Homenet, etc.) of the ISP's DNS servers settings ( primary, secondary) to ones of your choice, e.g. OpenDNS servers or other providers of DNS suitable for your use.

-- Tom

3. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

i will assume you mean your OS settings, not the router.

i use win7 x64 sp1 plus all updates, and acrylic. i also if i forget and use the network troubleshooter, it has a nasty habit of resetting my network connection to 'automatic' rather than localhost (127.0.0.1), the router's dhcp sets your dns in that case,to either your isp's dns or your custom settings.

i also disable the uneccesary windows dnsclient service. if i set the adapter dns to just localhost, it works for a while, then the notification icon shows 'no connection' as does my desktop traffic meter. browses the internet fine tho the yellow warning triangle is annoying. if i list my router at 192.168.1.1 as a secondary dns, however, all is fine. still uses acrylic, but the router is the fallback. (i use the two dyndns servers as primary and secondary in acrylics config file, with the router ip as tertiary.) other network tweakers or 'repair' software may change the settings, as does the opendns client program installer. in other words, if you need to 'repair', check the dns settings for the network adapter and the dnsclient service afterwards.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  4. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that i'm on WinXP Sp3 and no router, just a USB modem that uses Sprint mobile network.

@Kronckew - fwiw, i usually have HostsMan running and it disables the dns client service so i guess that's not the culprit. i'll try manually setting then but i wish there was a way to prevent any other program or service resetting them. i looked at event viewer but it doesn't seem to log any changes to the DNS settings for some reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.