Possible to have 2x80GB in RAID0 & remaining space as two separate disks?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Defenestration, Sep 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I have 2 x 500GB drives and am considering setting up my system partition as 2x80GB in RAID 0. For the remainder of the space (ie. 2x420GB unformatted), I would just like to have them as two non-RAID 420GB separate drives which I can partition independently. I have been told this is possible:

However, I have tried this but I can only see the 80GB RAID 0 partition in Windows. I have an Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi mobo (with on-board Intel RAID), and created the RAID 0 using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Option Boot ROM utility (ie. entered by pressing Ctrl+I during POST). I chose option 1 to create a RAID Volume whose size was 80GB, and which used both disks to create the array. I then exited and booted with the Windows installation CD to install XP Pro SP2 (with RAID driver slipstreamed). After installation of XP was complete, I went into Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Storage->Disk Management but the remaining space on each disk is not visible. All I see is Disk 0, which is 80GB (ie. RAID 0), and CD-ROM 0, which is my DVD drive.

I also installed the trial version of Paragon Partition Manager 8.5, but that doesn't see the remaining space either.

I know it's possible to have a 80GB RAID 0 partition, and a 420GB RAID 1 partition (ie. any combination of RAID).

Is it possible to achieve what I'm after ?

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Yes, probably it is possible (I haven't tried it personally). With intel matrix, it is also possible to have RAID0 and RAID1 on the same Array.
    Matrix RAID (Two Volumes Per Array)

Check the following links:
    Quick Start Guide
    Intel® Matrix Storage Manager

ps. Since in your array you see only 80gb probably rou have build a raid1 or raid5 array. On a raid0 array you should have (80+80=)160gb.;)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  3. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I think you've mis-understood me. I have 2 x 500GB disks. I have created an 80GB RAID 0 volume (ie. 40GB from each disk). I then want to be able to partition the remaining 460GB on each disk independently and have them as 2 x 460GB non-RAID volumes.

The quote you mentioned implies that if you have a single 500GB disk RAID Ready system, then add another 500GB disk and migrate it to a 1TB RAID 0 volume, you can expand the the original 500GB partition to 1TB or create a second 500GB RAID 0/1 partition.

The more I read about the subject makes me think that once a disk is part of a RAID, none of the space can be treated as non-RAID, even if the RAID Volume(s) don't take up all the space. :(

Oh well, it looks like I'm going to have to create two RAID 0 volumes and get another hard disk to be used as backup, or create a RAID 0 volume for my System partition and a RAID 1 for my Data partition and be content with having half the contiguous space and slower speed, and get another hard disk if I need some more space.

4. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Yes, I thought you wanted to use an array 2x80GB and not 2x40GB.:p

But for the remaining space look here. It explains it a little better.:)

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Defenestration

I think your conclusion may be correct. I've played with this to some extent, and the physical drives on my raid setup are treated like one physical drive. I can add or remove partitions, but they behave like one drive.

Pete

6. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Matrix RAID is different. IMO, is one feature worth having (exclusive to Intel chipsets):
    Link1
    Link2
    Link3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.