Possible conflicts with security software?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dw426, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tamdam

tamdam Registered Member

that's really interesting, you should report it to Ilya so he can find out whats wrong. For the record I installed windows media player 11 through windows update and it worked fine, so I'm not sure whats going on there.

edit: also, dw426 and riverrun I personally think sandbox HIPS offer the strongest protection, which DW is one of them, the other one I can think of is geswall. I prefer DW because its cheaper and a bit lighter mainly, and it works for me, but if it doesn't work out for you both maybe geswall might suit you better.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hey guys, I'm going to stick Solved in the subject line. For now, unless there is a big reason not to, I'm just running KIS6 and Sandboxie. KIS6 seems to have a lot of nice features and it looks to be highly regarded here. DW is just a wee bit too confusing to grasp at the moment (I'm trying to learn though), and Sandboxie is a nice "run it and empty it" alternative.

While I certainly want to be as protected as I can, I'd also would rather just find 1 thing that covers the majority of my bases and run with it. I'll be keeping up with the forums here for all the latest. I'm just starting to get into the heavier side of security,but like actually using my computer for more than tests :)

So, for now, here is where I stand:

Router

KIS 6

SandboxIE

SAS Free (the loading time for this program at boot-up is seriously getting on my nerve)

SpywareBlaster

Firefox with AdBlockPlus and NoScript

I'm hoping that unless I go out actively looking for trojans and such that I'm decently protected. Again, all advice is listened to and taken seriously, but I think for the time being my experiments are done :)

3. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hey Innerpeace, glad you think my setup is decent enough. Maybe now I can relax and surf :) I do usually run an online AV as a just in case. TrendMicros Housecall actually. I'm hearing a lot of excited folks here singing the praise of KIS 7, hopefully it will be released before/just after my 15 day trial is up on KIS 6. I haven't had it long, but it's playing very nicely with my system and I think it might be a keeper. I believe I'll bring back my old friend PeerGuardian too, I like my P2P sometimes plus it has quite a few IPs that are best kept out.

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I used Peer Guardian for a while and it is useful. If I had to buy a security suite, it would be KIS from the recommendations here. I actually have licenses to 2 suites, but my setup is working well and after the nightmare that Norton Internet Security 2006 gave me when uninstalling, I steer away from suites. I hear Norton is better now, but the service I received was below my expectations. I also understand Kasperskys' support is good, so that is a plus for you.

You can also run other programs in Sandboxie other than your browsers. Your p2p app may be good to run sandboxed if you know how to extract the files you want to save. I run WinAmp sandboxed when streaming music. It's probably not necessary, but it doesn't hurt either.

If I knew for sure that you still get PowerShadow for free, I would recommend you try it. Returnil (not free) is also similar and both programs allow you virtualize your system until a reboot and then everything is back to normal. Very useful when visiting risky sites or trying new software installs that don't require a reboot or letting others mess with your computer. If I'm visiting the 'dark side' of the net, I will start PS then run my browser and media players in Sandboxie and when done, I reboot and everything is back to normal. It's probably best to try what your using and make sure you like it and it's stable before trying more. Lol

It's easy to get caught up in all the new and the 'best' software game, but in the end it has to work well with your setup and cover all bases. KIS is a good start and Sandboxie is great for random browsing. I'm still trying to figure out how to keep a bookmark and updated extensions so I can run sandboxed all the time. You have probably also heard of the K.I.S.S philosophy when it comes to security. K.I.S.S. means 'Keep It Simple Stupid '(no offense). I'm trying real hard to keep my setup that way and it is good advice to anyone getting caught up in the latest and greatest.

Cheers, innerpeace

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You bring up a great point about Sandboxie and bookmarking. The only tried and true way I have ever found is to visit the site you want to bookmark, do it, then high-tail it out of there and come back sandboxed. Otherwise it does not want to let me keep the bookmark whether I retrieve it from the box or not. Not 100% safe, but probably not terribly dangerous, so I live with it :)

7. walking paradox

walking paradox Registered Member

You might be interested in trying out online social bookmarking such as delicious, it is free and should solve your problem about saving bookmarks within sandboxie.

http://del.icio.us/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.