(possible) bug reports v2.0 Beta1

Discussion in 'NOD32 Early v2 Beta' started by Paul Wilders, Dec 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vk6zx

vk6zx Registered Member

Using Windows XP, I have found that when you add a server for updates that is a cd drive location, e.g. d:\Updates, when you chnage to that server location it is shown only as d:/ and is NOT able to update.

2. marti

marti Registered Member

More on NOD32 beta deleting an entire Outlook Express folder instead of just the infected file.

Mele lost many stored files during a complete system scan when she told NOD32 to delete an infected email that was stored in Outlook Express. NOD deleted the entire contents of the folder, instead of just the infected email.

I was able to reproduce the error.

Two guys tested an on-line scanner and KAV, and were able to ONLY delete the infected email, thus leaving the rest of the emails in the folder.

Links:
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,5653738~root=security,1~mode=flat

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,5653908~root=security,1~mode=flat

- Fixed links to DSLR posts - LWM

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Issue on hand has been answered by Eset/Jan over here

regards.

paul

4. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

We are checking it here now.

rgds,

jan

5. dave s

dave s Registered Member

Using the new beta with XP Pro and Outlook 2002 causes Outlook to intermittantly crash (only while typing a reply to a message though). It happens with 7 out 10 message replies.

I've uninstalled the beta and re-installed v. 1.348 several times with 2 hour or more gaps between the programs with the same results-- no crashes with v. 1.348 and frequent crashes with the beta. No hardware/software changes have been made to the rig during these trials.FWIW, I've now had v1.348 installed for 24 hours with no crashes (operates flawlessly like it has for the last 13 months).

If I can provide any more info, please let me know. Reinstalling the beta to recreate the crashes for collecting crash data wouldn't be a problem either.

Thanks for an otherwise incredible product!

best regards,

Dave

6. jan

Hey Dave,

I sent you an IMON fix - hope it helps...

See this thread.

Best wishes, :D

jan

7. dave s

dave s Registered Member

Thanks Jan,

Got it installed and so far...no sign of the problem with new email replies generated! I'll know more in 24 hours with a few more email replies out the door. Looking forward to reporting positive results!

regards,

dave

8. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

About a month ago when I first tried v1 you all checked The All Seeing Eye product as I reported the mouse pointer freezing/stuttering while loading, due to the unpacker the ASE program uses you reported.

I notice the same problem with v2 beta with AllSeeingEye and also with Acronis TrueImage when I load that up...

Many operations in general usage of WinXP seem to cause the mouse pointer to stutter, again, presumably this is NOD unpacking all these packed executables etc....o_O

Well I've loaded AllSeeing Eye and Acronis TrueImage tonight while testing Dr.Web, RAV and the other AV products and NOD32 is the *ONLY* AV product that causes the mouse/processor to stutter while these programs load/unpack - it's actually quite annoying when you've used NAV for so many years and it never does this and now all of a sudden my pointer is stuttering with many applications/windows.

I look forward to some improvements in this area :)

Fedorov.

9. jan

Hi Fedorov999 and all who posted in this thread,

we'll look at that - see this link.

rgds, :D

jan

10. dave s

dave s Registered Member

Just wanted to report progress with my NOD32Beta/Outlook problem posted several messages earlier.

After installing the latest (version 3) imon.DLL-12 hours have elapsed and no Outlook crashes whatsoever!!!

I also wanted to say thanks to Jan and ESET for not only the finest products, but the best customer service anywhere!! Most companies only dream about giving the level of customer support that ESET actually delivers.

regards,

dave

11. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

> Most companies only dream about giving the level of customer support that ESET actually delivers.

Thanks on behalf of the team, Dave!

(We've come a long way since Mele branded us as the world's worst!) :)

12. Fedorov999

Okay a few things now I've been running this beta a few days... I've already reported the freezing mouse pointer issues with certain programs (unpacking packed exe's)....

I use Sygate Personal Firewall Pro on my WinXP SP1 machine and I notice the AMON window *always* has the SMC.EXE file listed as being scanned by it - presumably cos my firewall is busy doing it's job all the time :)

Another mouse freezing issue... burning some discs using latest version of Alcohol 120% 1.4.0 build 114, I noticed my mouse stuttering yet again while surfing web pages - the AMON screen is toggling between scanning SMC.EXE (sygate) and ALCOHOL.EXE..... disabling AMON stops the mouse pointer problem while Alcohol is burning my discs :)

I tested burning the same files using latest version of Nero and didn't get the problem.

Hope this helps!

Fedorov.

13. Trevor Marsh

Trevor Marsh Guest

Hi All, I've been using the Beta version for a couple of weeks now and here are a few "niggles" that I have noticed. (As I say these are niggles rather than full blown bugs on my system)

When in "Graphic Mode" it seems to randomly default back to non-graphic mode in *some* control panels, although for some weird reason not all.

Amon slows down Win XP when shutting down. If Amon is disabled manually before shutting down then shuttdown time is normal.

Auto-update feature seems to have ramdom problems connecting to the up-date server. Also no matter what times up-dates are set for it still seems to try up-dateing every 30 mins.

Amon somtimes stays with the "Splash Screen" on my desktop for longer than it should, sometimes upto 30 seconds after it appears. Other times it's only 3 to 5 seconds.

Plus Points

The new integrated control panel is a vast improvement on the retails "three seperate moduals" approach.

E-mail scanning at the winsocks level is also a nice development.

This will be a very nice "upgrade" when all the "niggles" have been rectified. Keep up the good work Eset

Trev

14. Fedorov999

I use a cool product called Pictures2Exe available at http://www.wnsoft.com/

It creates EXEcutable slideshows that I use to send out to customers, please see that attached Scan log as NOD32 thinks all the EXE's I have created with this tool contain the Suomia trojan.

Kind regards,

Fedorov.

Attached Files:

15. Fedorov999

I presume someone from development is noting all these reports :)

I'm finding AMON agressively interfering with mouse movement in many areas of my daily usage, even simple things like Amon agressively scanning as I open the Add/Remove programs window or sometimes I even notice it when I'm moving up and down through my Start menu items.

I ain't used to having my mouse stuttering around just cos my hard drive is busy doing stuff after years of using NAV which while it may be way over-bloated these days, has always sat happily in my system tray not interfering with mouse and file operations etc...

I'm a developer myself so if any of your team want any more info or me to test a newer version of AMON just let me know please.

Regards, Fedorov.

16. jan

Hey Fedorov,

>It creates EXEcutable slideshows that I use to send out to customers, please see that attached Scan log as NOD32 thinks all the EXE's I have created with this tool contain the Suomia trojan.

Thanks for the alert - I sent you a private message - we need to check the files.

>I presume someone from development is noting all these reports

Yes, as I wrote here we are not sleeping :), but processing and fixing the bugs.

rgds, :D

jan

17. tosbsas

tosbsas Registered Member

When automatic update is not working and when I try manual update, sometimes update will not work - and can't be aborted - even after pressing abort button, and confirming it will not go back to update now.

I am on win2k pro and rapppoe

Ruben

18. jan

Hey Ruben,
    Any error messages? :)

Thx.

jan

19. tosbsas

No, it just stays on abort - and can only be stopped by restart the pc

Ruben

20. tosbsas

Maybe I found a beginning of a reason - afetr restart I deleted the whole log - than update worked again as it should

Ruben

I remember that helped last time too

21. jan

Hi Fedorov,
    sorry for the "Beta" delay - thanks for alerting us - it's a false alarm - it's being fixed in the update.

rgds, :)

jan

22. tosbsas

New beta o_O When , where :D

23. jan

Hi tosbsas,
    The new Beta will be released when a certain group of problems is fixed => there is not an exact date for its release. I just can say it will be in a couple of days. The problems not solved in the Beta2 will be fixed in the upcoming releases.

I hope not only developers can understand that ;)

Thanks - we want to make NOD better for YOU ALL. :)

jan

24. tosbsas

Hey great - I will be on holidays so there is a chance when I come back to have a new Nod32 :)--))

Will we able to install on top or is it going to be uninstall and install??

Ruben

25. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

Hi all,
    i have two things: one bug (or misconfiguration by myself ;)) and one feature wish.

1 - i have a certain folder with all its subfolders excluded from Amon, but still upon System start, i get a lot of alerts for that folder when Windows populates the start menu. (BTW, the alerts are all legitimate, it's a subfolder tools\blackhats\etc. - never had to use any of them, but i feel less vulnerable when i have a certain set of tools at my disposal...) When you tell me where to look, i'll try and provide more info.

2. While i also like the approach to integrate the former three modules into a singular environment, there is some tradeoff (i think): Quite often, i don't want to have any scanner loaded due to resource scarcity. Then i still want to be able to get updates (commandline option) and maybe to do on-demand scanning (is it necessary to have the NOD kernel service loaded to do this?). btw, my system is Win98SE.

Any thoughts?

TIA,
    Andreas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.