Possible bug in ESS or is just me

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by eugbru, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eugbru

eugbru Registered Member

Hello everyone! :)
    Some time ago I noticed some strange behaviour in Eset Smart Security.
    Using all the default settings, when I go to Protection Status --> Antivirus and antispyware (in advanced mode), in General Overview the program shows the number of scanned objects since I login in Vista. The thing is that number never stops growing. It could reach a million objects if the computer was turned on long enough, but I know the idea of the software is to scan only objects that have been modified, and not all of them (plus, I'm pretty sure I don't have so much files or anything in my hard drive, only 40 GB are occuped). I also notice that the proces ekrn.exe is always consuming around 3% of my cpu, and I suspect that is just because that infinite scan I described before.
    Anyway, it's not really a problem for me, but more that just curiosity.
    Does anyone know any possible cause?
    Thanks in advance!

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

This is software design . It will show the number of objects scanned and will reset the number everytime the ESET service (ekrn.exe) is reloaded . It also reloads with Windows start.

If the number is growing , it is probably scanning something . A further investigation may be needed to find out what is going on . You can use programs like ESET SysInspector or Microsoft's Process Monitor

3. eugbru

eugbru Registered Member

Thanks!
    I'll try using Eset SysInspector. I'll let you know if I need help:p

4. eugbru

eugbru Registered Member

I fixed it!:D
    The only problem was it just kept scanning a setting.ini file from windows sidebar, so I just created an exclusion for that file and that's it.
    That process monitor software is really useful!
    Thanks a lot for your help:)

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome! :thumb:

Greetings to Mark Russinovich and SysInternals who originally created ProcessMonitor :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.