Possible bug in ESS or is just me

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by eugbru, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eugbru

eugbru Registered Member

Hello everyone! :)
    Some time ago I noticed some strange behaviour in Eset Smart Security.
    Using all the default settings, when I go to Protection Status --> Antivirus and antispyware (in advanced mode), in General Overview the program shows the number of scanned objects since I login in Vista. The thing is that number never stops growing. It could reach a million objects if the computer was turned on long enough, but I know the idea of the software is to scan only objects that have been modified, and not all of them (plus, I'm pretty sure I don't have so much files or anything in my hard drive, only 40 GB are occuped). I also notice that the proces ekrn.exe is always consuming around 3% of my cpu, and I suspect that is just because that infinite scan I described before.
    Anyway, it's not really a problem for me, but more that just curiosity.
    Does anyone know any possible cause?
    Thanks in advance!

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

This is software design . It will show the number of objects scanned and will reset the number everytime the ESET service (ekrn.exe) is reloaded . It also reloads with Windows start.

If the number is growing , it is probably scanning something . A further investigation may be needed to find out what is going on . You can use programs like ESET SysInspector or Microsoft's Process Monitor

3. eugbru

eugbru Registered Member

Thanks!
    I'll try using Eset SysInspector. I'll let you know if I need help:p

4. eugbru

eugbru Registered Member

I fixed it!:D
    The only problem was it just kept scanning a setting.ini file from windows sidebar, so I just created an exclusion for that file and that's it.
    That process monitor software is really useful!
    Thanks a lot for your help:)

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You are welcome! :thumb:

Greetings to Mark Russinovich and SysInternals who originally created ProcessMonitor :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.