Ports

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ljc1174, Aug 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowy

snowy Guest

Snap..not sure but I think the tool by Javacool still leaves kazaa working......but no matter it really should go entirely...later I'll try to locate a non-spy file share to post.

Lori..

now Lori you will need to be very patient....what appears as minor questions may in fact be major...so please bear with us..........right now I really would like to know how you were alerted to having a trojan on your os....thats important Lori......yes if its there we can get it off.....no big deal.........now,,did you update TDS after installing it ?
    can you understand how to properly work TDS..not patronizing you Lori..ok....if you can understand anything just say so...maybe we can suggest an easier program....

2. ljc1174

ljc1174 Registered Member

I guess I figured out how to scan and it's going through the full system scan it's still on my c:/

as for Kazaa, I'm highly disappointed. I'm a huge music lover! LOL

I'm all "ears" for anything w/o spyware!

Yes, my adaware deleted some files i'm sure.. bd3 or b3d, total spyware! LOL

anyhow... i'll post the results... send me some links for the non spy file share...

sorry for keeping u two up so late! i really do appreciate it! but please by all means, GO TO BED!!!

I'll let this scan finish, post any results, then finish up in the later TODAY. I can't believe I'm still up too!

3. snowy

snowy Guest

Snap......get some rest please.....I'll hang around awhile and others will be around soon......you have to work....

4. ljc1174

It was Sygate SOS that I did the trojan scan on...

Know it?

why did i look for a trojan? becase it finally dawned on me after being on the web for a year that virus's and trojans weren't the same... in some cases, so i decieded to look around because i was having issues with my icons being shaded out on the quick launch bar, start menu, folders including fav's menu and bookmarks and all the icons on the windows in the explorer bar. After doing numerous virus scans with McAfee, TrendMicro and other free online scans, nothing was coming up, but I knew something wasn't right...

I was also having a problem with www.downloadalot.com coming up as my set homepage, though ad-aware deleted even the cache folder as well as all the other spy garb. But even after that, downloadalot came back and after another scan with ad-aware, searcalot/downloadalot would not show up.

therefore, i've had a very Long, LONG day!

5. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Oh dangit! LOL, i must be tired, i forgot the most important thing didn't i Snowy!

sorry Lori - TDS-3 MUST be updated, meaning the file you downloaded will need the most current database, so if you go back to http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/ and go to the page to download the program (from the left-hand panel - Downloads on the main site)...then scroll to the very bottom of the download page until you find where it says: UPDATE.CFG here

click there and download the most current database, then extract it to the same folder that TDS-3 was installed in, believe it would still be under Program Files as default.

then you want to do another deep scan....full system scan.

6. snowy

snowy Guest

Lori

so it appears you have TDS scanning..GREAT!! lets see what it reveals. But remember Lori..those spy programs have just got to go!! in fact..if you have used your credit card...any type of personal id..social security number..etc....you were wipe open to someone stealing that information....in fact your computer could have been used by anyone an you would never have known it...no fooling!! This is very serious Lori......your computer could have been used to attack others....if used to listen to every word you were saying.........a trojan is dangerous business.

7. ljc1174

I tried the update after the install but it wouldn't let me I assumed I needed to do the initial scan first.

How long does a full scan normally take?

8. ljc1174

my momma didn't raise no fool! LOL

(yah right) luckily, i have no credit cards, since my divorce, I've rid myself of unneeded bills... single mom, 3 boys, credit cards would only get me in trouble!

9. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

(i am going to bed Snowman) ;)

Lori - anti-virus programs catch viruses and worms (and sometimes where one anti-virus will catch one variant of a virus or worm, another anit-virus may miss it entirely...just depends on what signature files they have and how often the databases are updated)...i'm out of my area of knowledge here though...so i shouldn't comment too much on how the programs update. i like a anti-virus that updates more than once a week. ;)

same with the anti-trojan programs.....each are different in their scanning and detection abilities.

on-line anti-virus/anti-trojan scanners may detect, but they may not always be able to clean or clean well.

Snowman, i used Ad-Aware first before Javacool's program to remove KaZaa from my Win98, and for some reason, Javacool's program would no longer work for me.....it was awhile ago and i can't remember the details...but i think it was because Ad-Aware removed the projector and without that, Javacool's program wouldn't work. i still don't understand why, but i was able to finally remove all traces of BD3 with Spybot Search & Destroy. :)

Lori, i wish you luck, and you are in good hands with Snowman! Get some rest both of you....i am off to sleep. Goodnight :))

*yup, i'm spelling Javacool's name wrong...LOL...bedtime!

10. snowy

snowy Guest

Lori

the longer the scan takes the better...it does an exceptional job Lori.......oh..you may get whats known as "false positives" alerts that really are not trojans..if that happens you will need to check with the TDS forum here at wilders for further advice....I don't use TDS...
    LOL...wise decision on no credit cards...very wise,

so you are a music lover...use windows media player...well guess what...yup its spyware..LOL....has whats known as a SUPER COOKIE....but before you scream...a very simple way to correct that by just changing a setting........there is alot of spy garbage people don't know is on their system....most is preventable...just takes time to learn how.....you are in the right place Lori.....
    correct me if I am in-correct...you have windows 98 on your winME ? people here will ask you questions like this because programs don't work on some versions of windows...or there may be a way of fixing win98 that wont work on win2k or xp........
    winMe is differant....made during M$'s mid-life crises an wasn't sure of its sanity.....personally I like winME...others hate it......I need to re-format mine real soon....

11. snowy

snowy Guest

Good Night dear friend Snap....an may your morrow be filled with peace...joy and blessings

12. ljc1174

I use Weenie ME, I've had to write zero's 4 times. I bought my pc in 6/00. My last write out was in March of this year... A very annoying process.

My heart stopped when I read about WMP!!!

What setting do I need to change on that?

How important is it to have real player? I never use it, but once I uninstalled it and something else I had wouldn't work because of it... There is probably alot on here I could do w/o but can't remove.

Have you located any spy free file share programs?

I did notice about a month ago, I had new Temp Int. and Windows folders in ODD places. The folders were empty so I deleted them. In an attempt to clean house.

Did u happen to see my post about the downloadalot and searchalot? Downloadalot is still appearing after adaware deleted it. Another adaware scan after it reappeared did not detect anything. I don't know how to get rid of it.

13. ljc1174

TDS-3 found nothing, I'm doing another sygate sos scan... now my zone alarm is going knutts! (i feel like a dope now, yah, i'm scanning again w/o zone alarm on! LOL)

sygate says i have this:
    Trojan 5000 OPEN Bubbel, Back Door Setup, Sockets de Troie

I will update TDS-3 in the morning, scan and let you know if I find anything...

could sygate possibly making a marketing ploy? When I looked up this trojan, I read that it is very old and merely extinct, very weak, blah, blah, blah, my mind is turning to mesh...
    I'll post back in the morning!

Thanks snap and snowy!

You two have been awesome!

I'm going to find the link for the update then I will go die in my bed...
    Nite!

14. snowy

snowy Guest

Lori

Realplayer is another super spy.....goodness Lori..you don't own your computer at all LOL

I'll have to do a search for the non-spy file shares....I don't use any form of file sharing...but will see what can be found for you.....this reminds me.....you have file sharing enabled on your pc....ouch! But with three boys...an you also......I can understand that you want to keep certain things.......Lori....this is going to be a long process...there is alot you will need to be made awear of so as you can make informed decisions........from your posts it appears your computer is a hackers paradise and a nice warm home for spys.........it will take step by step just to get rid of the things you have already have allowed onto your os.....it can't be done in this one post or in one day........I rather thought this would be the case when I read your first post....so again...Lori you will need to be very very very patient. About WMP.....right now I have it removed...an so this is just from memory and may be in-correct...if you find the setting then it is correct.....open WPM properties..>tools>options (I THINK) an look for a setting that says to the effect..." allow others ro uniquely id WMP" Lori this is not the right wording but gives you an idea of what to look for.......if you can't locate the setting make a new post in "privacy forum" an someone will advise..

15. snowy

snowy Guest

LORI>>>>>DON"T EVER TURN YOUR FIREWALL OFF FOR ANY SCAN!!!!!! DON"T DO IT""""

will say goodnight.....wishing you will....you will be just fine Lori.....here at the BB are some of the very best of the best.....your computer will be cleaned in no time. Right now I just don't think you have a trojan....if TDS found nothing.

good night

snowman

16. snowy

snowy Guest

a trojan is a trojan is a trojan...forget that weak trojan stuff........

17. ljc1174

Thank you snowy!

Now that I have a basic IDEA of what is or could be spyware... it's only a matter of time... as for being a hackers paradise, not close, my pc has been their HEAVEN!!! LOL
    I'm shocked, my jaw has hit the floor way too many times!!!

I'm gonna go ahead and do the next TDS3 scan and check it in the, well, in a few hours! :rolleyes:

I'll post back after my caffiene kicks in!

Thanks again!

18. snowy

snowy Guest

TO Other Members:

I am experiencing a bout of ill health again an alittle weak..so please if anyone can help our new friend Lori please do so. Lori appears to be a newbe at this so may require indept instructions.....by reading her posts you can see she has spyware......it also appears the index.dat files needs cleaning......system restore.....the wmp files....cookie protection needed.....home page blank instructions...homepage hijacking instructions.....file sharing safety instructions......script protection.....IE zone use instructions........but of course you guys know all this..

19. YODA

YODA Registered Member

wow :eek:...... wut is going on here!!!! i post and i come back and see 3 pages within a couple of hours lol. Lori, if u need ne more just ask i'll be here for a lil bit too...

YODA

20. YODA

YODA Registered Member

hey snowy...

get some rest dude... u work to hard heh, I'll try to help our new member out to my best of my abilities. i don't know much for the spyware thing with kazza. But i can work with her on her trojan, and TDS-3 and firewall.

YODA

21. snowy

snowy Guest

Lori

supposedly spy-free file share:

http://www.geocities.com/file_sharing_arsonal/home.html

22. snowy

snowy Guest

supposedly spy-free file share:

http://www.gnucleus.com/

23. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi snowman and snap! You guys are doing a great job. Just thought I'd drop by with some links. I don't use Windows Media Player. For music I use an older version of WinAmp. It has no spyware. You can get it at http://www.oldversion.com/winamp.shtml

Here's the link to get Spybot Search and Destroy.
    http://patrick.kolla.de/Spybotsd.html

Both of these applications are freeware. If you need any help with SpybotS&D we've lots of people who use it here. Just ask. I have some more links for Site Blocking (as a concerned parent you may need them), but right now you have a full plate. You need to develop your basic security needs first. And, oh yes, here's a warm Welcome to Wilders! :)

24. YODA

YODA Registered Member

hey ljc1174,

Ok first things first, lets work on ur security. By all means, lets see if we can find that trojan, and make sure ur firewall is working properly.

Lets start with TDS-3:

-First off lets update TDS-3, go here TDS-3 Site .
    -Click to go to the download page, sroll down to the bottom of the page. It should say..."Latest TDS-3 Radius Database"
    -Click the link next to it, and save the "radius.tds" file in the TDS folder overwriting the original file.Now its updated!
    -Go threw the settings in TDS, all files and extensions included.
    -Do a full system scan (may want to turn off ne Antivirus or programs that are running, after scan is complete u can turn them back on)

After all that come back and share us ur results...then we can move on to firewall issues.

YODA

25. YODA

YODA Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.