Ports in Norton NIS2006?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by gthomps5, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gthomps5

gthomps5 Registered Member

I'm either blind or apparently Symantec have removed the ability of NIS Personal Firewall to specify ports to be opened e.g. for particular programs.
    I need to run client programs and a server program using a particular port number. They used to work with NIS2004 but as soon as I enable NIS2006
    they stop working. I can't find the answer in Help.

I have searched Symantec's site and found that the NIS2006 User Guide has no mention of "Port" whereas NIS2004 does have quite a lot on ports.

Symantec's support in Australia isn't good, and they don't seem to have email support, so my next move may have to be an international phone call.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction, or a link to more information?

tks,
    Glen

2. pikdude66

pikdude66 Guest

Hi gthomps5,

If you don't want to use the "permit all" rule for those programs, you can click on Personal Firewall in the main interface and then on Configure on the right hand side. Then go to the Programs tab, in the Manual Program Control if the program is there select it and if it's not there use the Add function and locate the program that you need to make rules for.

Once the program is in the Manual Program Control, select it and click on Modify. When the pop up box opens it will offer a few options in the drop down based on if Symantec knows the application or not. To configure the ports manually, select the option Manually Configure Internet Access, from there click the Add button and you will be able to choose the direction of the information, the ports to use, the computer that can access the program and if you want to deny or block the communication.

Hope that helps.

pikedude66

3. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi gthomps5

... and welcome to Wilders :)

Did you receive any prompts for the client/server applications in NIS2006?
    In addition to manually creating rules as noted above, is there any existing rules that may need modifying? Also check for any rules that may be applied before your application rules that could be blocking them.
    Anything in your logs that may help?

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.