Port Scanning

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Zetelo, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

:) My mum's notebook gets scanned 2-3 times per day, that's what Outpost Security Suite Pro says. All "attacks" have been blocked succesfully, but after doing some research, I found out that some attacks aren't really dangerous since some of them were caused by the router itself.

Now that I got a brand new computer, I'm afraid that I could become a "victim" of port scanners as well, but I certainly do not have the money at the moment to buy another firewall product.

My questions are:

1. Am I protected with my router firewall and Vista Firewall being fully operational?

2. Should I do sth with my mum's notebook to prevent those scans?

3. I did a test with ShieldsUp, and although I got excellent results, how come that the notebook is still getting port-scanned?

Thanks in advance

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I think that everyone gets these random port scans.
    I view it as something that is common and not anything to worry about.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

A router's NAT will stop any unsolicited inbound. Vista firewall is state-aware, so it will further filter what router misses (solicited packets with invalid flag combinations i.e.).

Unless you provide more info on the scans (local/remote IP, port), it is very hard to tell.

Well, your excellent results does not guarantee you won't be scanned, right? But since you are behind a router, port scans registered by your notebook firewall come from within your LAN.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Router logs are full of what you could call a port scan. They are really just connection requests from computers or hardware devices around the world. Hundreds of hits in any day is not really uncommon. Some are legit, some are not. Get a router that pipes out the logs, get a software that gathers the logs and compiles them so you can view them. Pretty fascinating to see just what ports are hit from the same subnet over and over. I wonder if this indicates a botnet at all.

Regardless, watching router logs shows you just how much inbound traffic there really is. Whether or not a computer hooked up without a router in place is vulnerable is for another topic altogether.

Sul.

5. Minimax2000

Minimax2000 Registered Member

Seer is right. The incessant port scans and intruder blockings by Outpost were getting on my nerves so I bought a NAT router.

6. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

I think it is a normal situation.
    Maybe a third party firewall like outpost is a good way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.