Port Explorer won't load on my home machine

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Thomas Bunetta, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Tom,

well, I admit that my idea on the protocol stack rebuild is a stretch but there are so many other things that have been tried and looked at that I think it looms larger as a possibility just due to that.

My thinking is that the PE will need to have a stable network config for it to do its main purpose. You cannot effectively launch PE in normal mode when the stack is "active" but you can launch it in safe mode when the stack components are not loaded. Granted, there are many more variables between the two operating modes but, the operative idea here is to try to eliminate the various possibilities. This is one possibility, that there is something unstable in the stack, something that apparently doesn't obtrude on other tasks but...

Like I said, it a sort of Kierkegaardian Leap :D

2. Dan Perez

hmmm, late thought. As an extra test. If you are going to do the rebuild of the stack. I would recommend that after you remove all of the protocols and services relating to networking and reboot, and *before* you re-install/reconfigure them, you should try to launch PE in normal mode. If it launches here we know it is a network config issue.

The reason this is important is that sometimes an unstable network config can strangely persist across unload /reload of the components. If this turns out ot be the case here, your best bet will be to reload the machine from scratch. :(

Hopefully, though, this will be unnecessary

3. advanced

advanced Registered Member

This is beginning to sound hairy... hours I'm hard-pressed to find.

I'll try unloading the dialup protocols, and try running PE. then re-establish a DUN.

Thanks again,
    Tom

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

If you can redo a SFC to have an actual situation so we know is anything is missing
    and after the shieldsUp test you know if your ZAPro is working well still.
    Are you able to test if the Norton is working well with any testfiles?
    If you don't have, get the Miclean from the free tools at DCS which includes an innocent testfile (very nice little scanner too it is btw and very fast!)

The developers frequent the forum themselves so Jason among others will be able to tell you if the windows\ is hardcoded. It is such a little thing to try so why not? If it doesn't help you can always delete that folder and the copy with that.

5. advanced

Jooske,
    Just to verify...
    SFC= sytem file checker?
    The virus scan came up clean, BTW... is that scanner better than NAV?
    TIA, Tom

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

For RAV i meant the online scanner, i am used myself to use different online scanners at times too as each has other ways of detections and might have other files in the database.
    An AV is always personal choice, impossible to say which is best. At least they let you know if you send them possible false positives or real ones their opinions and thank you for it.

SFC yes is system file check. In start > run > type sfc > ok and you're there.
    I asked for the symantec items as sometimes one can get on the loose and needs reinstalling. Such a thing could cause weird results.

I'd first go for either the copy those two files in a c:\windows\system folder (just the two of them) and see what happens, or go for Dan's stack thing and rebuild the DUN thing.
    Is there really nothing more when you press network > properties?
    No double VPNs or other items?
    If so don't fix anything without posting the lines or a screenshot here.

7. advanced

SFC had a few things different since I ran it last some files where the only difference was the time stamp had an hour added to it.
    OK, I'll stick with NAV for now and save RAV for that "second opinion". Thanks for the link and information.
    My DUN has deliberately had it's wings clipped...
    Dialup adapter properties : binding: tcpip
    driver type enhanced mode 32 and 16 bit NDIS
    Advanced Tab:
    point to point IP=yes
    IP packet size=automatic
    log file=no
    NETBIOS not enabled over TCP/IP
    use IPX header compression=yes

TCP/IP properties:
    allow binding to ATM=no

Gayeway properties: blank
    TCP/IP properties:
    bound only to DUN
    Obtain IP address automatically=yes
    Wins config:
    using DHCP for WINS resolution
    DNS config:
    DNS disabled

An interesting thing...
    As I was looking through for the above, I got a prompt that my network wasn't completely setup, did I want to oroceed, I said no, to "flip through the tabs" for the above information.
    When I exited, it asked again and I said yes (aren't I easy <G>).
    It then began an install routine and asked for my Win98 CD (I directed it to a directory on my harddrive where all the contents af the CD are stored... Much faster).
    I have yet to reboot, my wife is getting impatient to leave for dinner...
    I'll be back,
    TIA,
    Tom
    PS Don't you HATE cliff-hangers?

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Enjoy your dinner! brunchtime here now.
    Looking forward to the next steps in your installation.
    When i want to write down my notes using notepad a lot for such actions. can seve it in between on desktop so if you would crash you still have those notes at hand.

9. advanced

There is something wierd going on.
    After reboot, DUN came up and repeatedly wanted to dial out... even after I clicked on the "X" to close it. It briefly disappeared, but returned several times.
    It finally quit trying, and PE still won't run. :'(
    Attached is the Fabertoys listing for PE at that point.

This is getting old.
    Perhaps I should bite the bullet and wipe the drive, flash NVRAM and start all over.

The biggest reason I drag my feet (aside from time) is that no matter how careful to back up and save to my Jaz drive, something is always overlooked :(

Tom

Attached Files:

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Which ZAPro version do you run?
    In IE > Tools > Options > Connections > choose NEVER chose a connection > OK
    Does this help?
    An older ZA(Pro) version was known for this calling out problem, but thought that was over.
    PE does show however the VSMON process but that is still no reason to call out.
    What you can see when using the socket spy is that --if you configured ZAPro to look for updates automatically-- it does those checks and disconnects from Zonelabs again. For that it needs permission for access and won't do so till really connected. Could it be this check you see as trying to connect?

I would follow Dan's further instructions for building the network/dial function properly. There must have been some part of network installed like the --ooo now i have to translate from my dutch system so i probably use wrong words-- external entrance adapter and some parts more (if there are connection problems it helps to uninstal and have a fresh install of that part and additional functions and set it all properly) so why not complete it and you can ever connect another pc to this one :) for your home network (and <big smile> teleworking for the office computer)

You can have a look at every program you want to run in autostart, open them and have a good critical look at their options and configuration if there is anything weird or unnecessary. Remember with all this your education and views on the tools grows so you might like to make some changes.
    In your ZAPro, do you allow PE to connect to internet? You should of course.

If you don't run the latest version of ZAPro at the moment and would uninstall it anyway to install the latest version (if!) would uninstall that and install it again (or the new version). Think of the layered way PE and the other tools work. There have been some users who needed this procedure, be it i haven't heard of ZA(Pro) users and on win98 systems, but never know.
    In all your norton utilities there is no build in firewall which could cause extra blockages as far as i remember?
    Don't forget to grant PE in the ZAPro settings for running and connecting to the trusted zone and Internet zones, btw, which is really important. You might need to add it to the Programs in ZAPro if it doesn't show up in the list yet.

It is ok but in fact i hoped SFC would have shown a missing file which would have solved this now finally. So booting from the install cd-rom to see if some more/other files are used won't make any difference then unfortunately.

11. advanced

Hello,
    Yesterday I managed to tear the left bicep tendon so the muscle is bunched up at the top of my arm... not real painful (surprisingly). This is probably going to slide farther down priority list. Will see MD soon.
    Am typing with just the R hand. Excuse brevity.

Latest version ZA.

Can't find MDM.EXE running anywhere at this time, where did you see it Gavin??

I added permission for PE in ZA after the first attempt to run it. I check for updates manually.

In IE, always use default connection is checked and check security as well.

Work from homeo_O Bite your tongue! <vbg>
    Tom

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Educating a computer is using brain power, no muscle power, or did you want to teach the biesty a lesson?
    Hope you will be well soon.
    Mwah, once you are working now on the network setup, and with the medical problem (yes you really should see a MD asap to avoid further damage) you might tell your employer if he can help you set up that part you are willing to work from home via the network so no valuable time is lost during your physical recovery. Good argument though?
    I'm using lots of time only one hand typing the other occupied with a coffeecup or the mouse of another system beside this one, just needs some practising, typos i make anyway.

MDM could be in windows\system. I got it when i installed all those extra power toys from the windows install cd-rom. I have it in the autostart i just noticed again, so it does run fine together with PE.
    Only in the IE options > Advanced disable the search for scripts errors in pages and surfing as it is the webmasters problem, not ours unles you want to be warned for possible exploits. If you enable those the MDM is most certainly active in the autostart.
    HKEY CLASSES ROOT\CLSID\{very long number}\LocalServer32
    (computername?) C:\windows\system\MDM.EXE

I learned to set in IE NEVER dial and that stops the autodialing when opening a browser or email or reboot, so that could stop your dialing out problem. Must not think if you ever would get infected with an expensive autodialer for many dollars/minute all hidden.. !

13. advanced

Good morning everyone.

I have surgery Monday am, so it will be a while before I get back to the PE problem :(.

I didn't want you to think I'd given up or gone away ;).

Tom

14. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Wishing you all the best and a good recovery, looking for your return.

15. Dan Perez

Get well soon Tom! Don't stress yourself.

Best Wishes,

Dan

16. advanced

Thanks, y'all.
    Tom
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.