Port Explorer won't load on my home machine

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Thomas Bunetta, Aug 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,
    I installed the latest PE on my machine at home (bought 2 licenses) and it appears to be loading, then there is nothing visable in any location (desktop, command bar, etc.
    If I give it the three finger salute, it is listed as a non responding program, and I can "end task" however it will not run.
    Win 98 SE, Zonealarm, wormguard, Norton A-virus all running. :oops:
    Any ideas?
    I read thru many of the messages here in this forum (which didn't recognise my e-mail ad'yy as my user name, BTW).
    TIA,
    Tom

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello Thomas, Did you download from the members area & copy paste the unlock code from the members area to PE when asked?

HTH Pilli

3. I can't get that far!!!
    It won't come up enough to paste the code in <insert EXTREMELY sad face here!
    Tom

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Thomas, welcome here and to the PE family.
    Did you reboot after installing?

the email part in your first message i didn't understand quite well?

5. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Thomas,

A couple other things you might try;

1. Redownload the install file (the first may be corrupt)

2. Stop all processes (via Ctrl+Alt+Del) except for Explorer and Systray, wait 10 seconds and check the running processes list to make sure one or two other hadn't creeped their way in, and then try installing.

HTH,

Dan

6. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

In case of re-installing make sure the excisting one is uninstalled first! If this is not happening, stop the installation, uninstall with the uninstall file in the directory, --it's about the dcsws2.dll to be uninstalled-- and reboot before you try again.
    And make sure not any antivirus is running during the install! After install and reboot you can run your norton again.
    Let us know how it goes?

BTW: is there a problem only on one pc or also with the other one?

7. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Oh, and another possibility ... ;)

Installs will frequently do strange things if you have a glut of items in your temp directory. Before you try reinstalling, clear this out first.

:)

8. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Hi Thomas, we've never had any reports of this before and the current build of Port Explorer has been available for quite a while now, so the problem would almost certainly be isolated to your system. Exactly how far are you able to get? ie. Does install successfully finish?

I'd try re-downloading Port Explorer to ensure it downloaded ok, then re-install it. Reboot after install, and it might also be a good idea to temporarily disable any security programs you're running during installation, as it may be one of those that is causing the problem.

Best regards,
    DiamondCS Support

9. advanced

advanced Registered Member

Hello,
    I un-installed, re-installed with all programs not necessary shut down or disabled...
    Still cannot get the program to run at home (gateway P-II 450).
    Currently the phone line is dead to that machine, and am awaiting the phone company to arrive.
    I stopped by work and logged on to reach the forum today.
    My temp folder stays clean (except the file made by Zonealarm Pro.
    The last time I re-installed the machine was "running bare"... will it install in safe mode?
    Will check back Monday to see if any other ideas came up, and will put the copy I downloaded here on a CD to try installing at home. :rolleyes:
    Thanks for the suggestions and replies,
    Tom

10. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Yes please make sure your keyfiles are VALID. For some keyfile protections (depending on how advanced the damage is to the keyfile) it might assume you are trying to do something you shouldn't be and go into an infinite loop or some other thing. Did you unzip the keyfiles to the Port Explorer directory?

-Jason-

11. advanced

I unzipped the keyfile first to a storage directory, then moved it into the port explorer directory after installation (as I did at work).
    I didn't attempt to start the program until after the keyfile was in place.
    When I click the icon placed in my command bar, it shows up via ctrl+alt+del, but cannot be viewed even with alt+tab.
    TIA,
    Tom

12. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Screen resolution? required system files?
    Can you check the required system files as there are for TDS at least to run properly, if you have higher versions it's ok.
    The easiest quick overview is using Faber Toys (www.faberbox.com a very nice free tool which has a new version, for all who love to know! Faber Toys 2.5 Build 240 )
    Start PE as you did, start Faber Toys, scroll to the PE process and see the various files with their version numbers; open a new page for the TDs required files and compare what you find. I think of the OCX files in the first place.

13. Jason_DiamondCS

Very strange since I tried your keyfile and it works fine over here. Did the evaluation version run fine on your machine? Maybe you installed something since which may be stopping Port Explorer. Try all the things I said in the email and get back to me. :)

-Jason-

14. advanced

I am downloading the program again now, just for grins.
    Will uninstall, and re-install using this latest DL.
    I'll let you know.
    BTW... resolution is 800X600, true color (info requested earlier in the thread)
    Tom

15. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Make sure after uninstalling to reboot and look if the dcsws2.dll is really disappeared from the windows\system directory before you re-install.
    And did you check for the required system files like there are for TDS?
    http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=files

16. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Port Explorer doesn't rely on any of those files ;)

Cant hurt to check them though..

17. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

I noticed at times files overwritten with something, which might not be the files PE or another program is not exactly dependent of but it helps to keep them fresh, at least to get them on screen.
    Sometimes the SFC gives extra info there.

18. advanced

Hello all,
    I un-installed, checked to see the .dll was indeed removed from the \system dir. I had downloaded PE again, and ran the install...
    I placed the keyfile into the port explorer dir. and when I was prompted to reboot (and this time I was) did so.
    When the system stabilized, I attempted to start PE and it appeared the system was loading, then nothing.
    I deactivated my security programs (wormguard, NAV, Zonealarm pro) and tried again with the same (no) results.
    When I brought up the running programs (ctrl+alt+del) PE was listed... double clicking gave a "program no responding dialog.
    Then I had to leave for work.
    Further Ideas?
    TIA,
    Tom

19. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

As i run win98se too, i can still only think of some files, maybe OCX files,
    i have occasionally crashes with the GDI.dll which seems to be related to displaying windows too,
    you have sufficient memory to run it so it is not started almost invisible?
    Did a (sys)tray icon appear?
    You had all those security programs closed at the install?
    In this thread is a recommendation about the LSPfix and how to check with it, which might give some light.
    When you had PE running (as the taskmanager showed) and that moment you look with Faber Toys, do you see indeed a bunch of files loaded by PE or just a few (which would mean it is not running at all), at least the dcsws2.dll ?

Have not seen this behavior before, this is why i keep thinking of some missing or corrupt files.
    Ensure that dcsws2.dll is in the correct Windows\system directory on a win98 system,
    in case the dcs*.dll is not running it will not be registered properly.
    In that case make very sure all NAV is closed and you might like to disable WG a moment (only that disable protection button, not uninstalling the whole program!)
    and you might like to start > run regsvr32.exe dcsws2.dll (you will see a message informing you if it failed or was successful)
    reboot and see if it was better then.

20. advanced

Hello,
    No thery weren't disabled at installation (and weren't at the office where the same opsys is installed, and where installation and program ran flawlessly).
    I dl'ed Fabertoys (and made a contribution, nice proggy!) at the office and will take it home today (dialup at home WB wireless at the office :oops:).
    I'll uninstall again, disable all programs and try once again.
    Tom

21. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Do you run win98 at the office too or another version?
    Please make it a rule when installing always close your AV. There can always be a shared file so the installation might not go all 100%.
    And you can put several compoters in a row with what you think is all equal and there will always be individual machines behaving different and which need different settings or threatment. And why? Don't know, but they cause us lots of extra thinking and trying.
    I for instance never close WG down at installing anything or it would be a new WG version.
    But there are people who need to close it each time, no matter which windows version they're running.
    In your case you can see if the dcs*.dll is running with your Faber toys (many people do really like it that's why i love to promote it as it helps us a lot too!) and if the dll is in the proper place, so it could avoid a new uninstall in such cases as mentioned in the other posting.

22. advanced

hello,
    Win 98 SE on both machines the Dell is at the office, a Gateway at home.
    Tom

23. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

IIRC,
    there once was some issue about PE running but at screen coordinates outside of the actual screen. There were some registry values to be deleted and then it would run in your screen again. Don't know if that's the case here
    - and, most importantly, i don't remember the registry values to check/delete. Maybe someone else...

Andreas

24. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well Andreas, there was this post by Jason, though it was related to a maximize problem versus being off the screen:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12122

But, it certianly shouldn't hurt to clear them and let PE go back to whatever defaults it uses, I'd think.

25. Jason_DiamondCS

That was to do with Socket Spy. It seems Thomas's problem is Port Explorer doesn't even start up at all. If its not even reaching the "Enter unlock key" area there is something wrong, since only some key checking and various other security related things are done before then. We have verified Thomas's key so its not the problem either. Thomas try deleting the whole Port explorer registry key :-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DIAMOND COMPUTER SYSTEMS\Port Explorer

then try running Port Explorer again. Have you also tried the demo?

-Jason-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.