Port Explorer v1.500 Released!!

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Jason_DiamondCS, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

A new version of Port Explorer has been released! Port Explorer 1.500 has been rigorously beta tested and is now available to the public. It boasts several new features that were requested by you - our customers. You can now download your copy (both the evaluation and full release versions of 1.500 are available) from the official Port Explorer website :-

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/

Here is a list of whats new in this version :-

- Added new traffic logging capability (logs to both window and file).
    - New easy-to-use packet viewer for Socket Spy with a hex-editor influence.
    - Socket Spy remembers window size and position, and is now fully resizable.
    - Whois Utility improved and more servers added.
    - Optimisations to Port Explorer and the LSP DLL to further reduce resource use.
    - Memory interface redesigned.
    - Italian language added.
    - Commandline parameter '-m' added for automatic minimise-to-tray on startup.
    - Improved performance (stress-tested in a 100mb/sec Local Area Network).
    - Lots of minor fixes.

-Jason-

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Is a complete un-install of the previous version required - or can you load the new version straight over-the-top of the old one? Pete

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Pete, during beta testing we were instructed to uninstall completely, as the dll has changed a lot.
    Normally the "public" releases will take care of this part automatically, uninstalling, reboot and installing the new version.
    If you would choose to uninstall manually use the uninstaller in the own directory; i also made it a habit to delete the capture bin and the pelog.txt.
    Look carefully what it does if installing the new version, if you don't see it uninstalling the existing one then better stop and do it manually. Knowing Jason a little by now i guess uninstalling will be included.

4. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Instructions at members page:

New Installation instructions:
    Simply download Port Explorer installation from the link above, run the installation file and install Port Explorer into a directory. Once installed, copy your "port.pkf" file (which you should have already received from us through email) into the directory you installed Port Explorer into. Run Port Explorer by either going from the Start Menu -> Programs -> Port Explorer, or by double-clicking the Port Explorer desktop icon!

Upgrade over previous Installation instructions:
    Download Port Explorer from the above link. You can either run the new installation and install it to where you have Port Explorer installed to without uninstalling the previous version or uninstall the older Port Explorer and run the new installation. If you uninstall Port Explorer it remembers all your settings so don't worry about losing them if you do want to uninstall. There is no difference between upgrade methods except the first method is easier.

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Are all copies identified as the evaluation copy? I'm trying to d/l from "USA1" and all I'm getting is one that's labeled as the evaluation version? Pete

6. linney

linney Registered Member

Use the supplied Email Address. On the Port Explorer web page enter the members area (in the left pane). Use your email address and Port Explorer password to download the upgrade.

7. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Thank you, linney - that did the trick!

Installed 1.5 over the previous version and it appears everything went well (running out of time to check things here). Pete

8. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

We've just updated the download page to tell registered members that they need to download the full version from the Members Area, quite a few people had this problem Pete so don't worry it wasn't just you :), but hopefully the page update will avoid any further confusion

9. Jason_DiamondCS

Yeah you need to download all FULL/REGISTERED versions from the members area of Port Explorer's website. This has been added to the download page now so if you accidently go to the download page it will tell you registered members have to log into the members area :) . Sorry for any confusion.
    -Jason-

10. Phil

Phil Registered Member

HEY JASON!!!

This is just *too* damn cool!! At a minimum, the value to me of Port Explorer just doubled. It appears you really did your homework on the logging function - it works a treat. PE in previous versions has been kinda like a three-legged dog -- nice to have around but dang, it needed that other leg. PE is now complete. :cool:

I have only done a few prelim tests but, so far, everything looks really good. I'll give it a real workout over the weekend. The double-logging is slick and a *very* nice touch.

THANK YOU!
    Phil

11. Jason_DiamondCS

Ok a small bug has surfaced that will be fixed soon, around Monday, incase there are other things to be fixed. It is to do with "Clear Window Log" ... so don't click on that. If you do, Port Explorer may go into a never ending loop and you will need to End-Task it.
    -Jason-

12. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

i been playing with i think older one why there no port lock

i see lots of cool stuf but theres no close port option yet? or am i not looking right

i figure it have the ablity to open and close ports by now

13. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Blaze

If you right click on a process/socket you have the following options:
    Kill the Process/Socket
    Disable Sending
    Disable Receiving
    as well as Enable/View Spying

Which may be what you are looking for/thinking of.

Regards,

CrazyM

14. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

yupi that what i needed thx so much

i was wondering why something tds made wouldnt have that function lol it didnt make any since

now it good to know that they did

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.