Port Explorer v1.200 and NOD32

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Phil, Nov 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil

Phil Registered Member

A little heads-up, groupies. I just installed the new version 1.200 of PE and had some serious system freeze problems on my XP Pro SP1 system. Anything I tried to do, even opening the start menu, was very s-l-o-w, sometimes over a minute, while PE was running. There seems to be a conflict between the new 1.2 PE and AMON. If you experience this problem, adding the PE exe to the exclude list in the AMON module will solve the problem. I did not have this trouble with the original release of PE.

HTH

Phil

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Phil,
    sorry to read so. I suppose you completely uninstalled, rebooted, installed the new version and rebooted again to make sure all was properly unregistered and registered again?

3. Phil

Phil Registered Member

No I didn't, Jooske -- I installed on top. That is NOT my normal method but I didn't want to mess up my registration. I didn't see any info one way or the other. Should that be normal procedure (uninstall first) with PE?

Phil

4. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

I too have the same problems with the new versionas as Phil, after having read Jooskes answer to Phil I tried uninstalling and reboting but it still works very slow.
    Bibbe

5. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

Now I even tried to exclude the hole portexplorer directory in amon and it still works slower than before, though it is better without amon.
    Bibbe

6. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Put your AMON GUI on screen and see if it is scanning some other files. Depending on your OS, it may also be scanning vdmdbg.dll and psapi.dll. You may have to exclude those also. I did on XP Pro SP1 because it was scanning them thousands of times in response to PE.

HTH

Phil

7. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Gents,

In order to make sure this problem is indeed related to NOD32 in any way:

Does the same problem occurs when disabling the AMON (even temporarily disabling NOD32 from starting up)?

regards.

paul

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

In the meantime would like to ask if this is only with NOD32 users or other windows versions and not-NOD32 users have the same or other problems?

With PE it's best to completely uninstall PE and reboot, because of one of the main files, to be sure it is really unrigistered. It should not be 100% be necessary, but we know all those different computer systems, keeping things, restoring them maybe while we don't want them, etc etc and to make sure the new version is really properly registered we do reboot and might see a difference.

I don't start PE with windows startup but manually afterwards when all the other stuff is ready starting and scanning whatever it all wants to.

9. controler

controler Guest

I just installed PE on my Win XP home version. This is the first install on my XP machine. I am running Norton AV 2003 with SPF.
    PE seems to run just fine on this setup.

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Are all you guys talking about the eval version of PE or some full versions too?
    Is there any noticable difference (apart from the blocked functions) in relation to other programs or on the system?

11. controler

controler Guest

For those using Windows XP

click START , PROGRAMS, ACCESSORIES, PROGRAM COMPATABILITY WIZARD................
    select the program you want to test...

Hope this helps

12. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Paul,

All you have to do is temp disable AMON via the systray and the problem stops. As soon as you reenable, the problem returns.

Wayne is on the case. :cool: He is investigating the problem and said he will try to reply the early part of next week. I will advise his findings if he doesn't drop in here himself. There is no rest for the weary, the wicked, OR software developers! :D

Phil

13. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Thanks, Jooske. I'll keep that in mind for the next time. In this case, it made no difference.

I just barely let Windows start with Windows startup! :D :D I try to keep my system boot as clean as possible. AMON and my fw are the ONLY things that make it to my systray on boot.

Phil

14. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Mine is the full version. The only interaction I have seen so far is AMON and PE. NOD32 is somewhat known for having problems with some other low-level processes. I suspect the LSP calls in PE may be coming into play somehow. Hopefully the guys down under can get it sorted. It should be a little easier to track since the problem did not happen with the first release of PE.

Phil

15. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

I tried to watch amon working and to me it seems like it´s worst when Amon is scanning system.ini, portex.1exe, and iexplorer.exe. I am running windows ME.

Bibbe

16. Phil

Phil Registered Member

Humm -- interesting. I wonder what is accessing system.ini that much? Maybe that is normal. I have never used WinME so can't say one way or the other Simply excluding the PE exe helped my system greatly. I didn't really notice any improvement in sys response when I excluded the other files -- just with PE itself. You certainly would NOT want to exclude iexplore or system.ini from AMON scanning!

Phil

17. bibbe

bibbe Registered Member

Well I have gone back to the old version of portexplorer now and it works fine. I hope the boys at DCS can fix the problems in the new version, but for me it´s just to slow. By the way, mine is paid for.

Bibbe

18. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Phil,

Got it.

I'm assured he'll drop by as soon as possible ;)

Grin...got that right! :D.

regards.

paul

19. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Phil, wasn't AMON for scanning emails? If so, could you live with starting that a little afterwards, for instance after PE?
    I see in your post now that down't really help eh?
    With a program like WinTasks it should be possible to configure the order of starting programs the one after the other without the need to do so manually.
    Looking forward to DCS comments.
    It must be possible to locate the problem, but solving it might be a next thing!

You know, the deveopers don't get rest, of course, as the users are using it all together 24/7 as well and sending comments :)
    Glad you all do, of course, that's what it is for!

20. Phil

Phil Registered Member

No, the AMON module is the primary on-access monitor. It is the "guard", the one that monitors every file execute for virus activity. I will not operate without AMON running.

Correct. The start order doesn't make any difference. Any time they are both running, there is trouble. Stop either one and the trouble goes away.

Maybe if we keep them busy they won't get into any mischief. :D

Phil

21. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Phil - i checked AMON also and it constantly scans the vdmdbg.dll file...i didn't know that was related to PortExplorer until i read your thread here. i tried excluding it in AMON's exclude list but AMON continues to scan it no matter how many times i tried to exclude it (closing AMON, re-opening it, even rebooting) it still insisted on scanning the file over and over. Maybe i am missing something but i couldn't find any other instructions other than what's available to make AMON exclude that file.

if it is the activity of the above file being scanned over and over that is slowing things down with PE version 1.2, then i will wait before i update PE (i still have version 1.1) because i am not noticing any slow-down with my system yet (XP-Home SP1).

thank you for the heads-up Phil

snap

22. Phil

Phil Registered Member

I suspect you are doing what I did when I first butted heads with AMON. First, dbl clk on the thumping gizzard to pause AMON. You can't just type in the file name in the box. You have to put the full path to the file or, better yet, click the "file" tick box and use the AMON File radio button to drill down to the file in question. It always works when you let AMON find the file with that utility. It can be a little confusing because sometimes you might use the Folder find and not the File find. After you add by path, restart AMON. A boot should not be needed. Try that and see if it works -- hope that helps! :)

It may be a good idea to wait because I have a feeling the problem is being worked on this weekend. Scanning that file constantly surely has *some* effect on system performance but I didn't really notice it that much on my 2Ghz system. The slower the system, the greater the effect. I do think it would be a good idea to exclude because the effect is cumulative. The REAL problem is with the main PE 1.2 execute file and AMON. That's what causes the system freeze

You are most welcome!
    Phil

23. controler

controler Guest

Why does PE appear more like a Beta than a released product?
    Well @ least they aren't charging to test like MS does LOL

24. rodzilla

rodzilla Registered Member

"thumping gizzard " o_O

Hahahahahahahahah!

25. Phil

Phil Registered Member

hehheh -- Yeah. I'm still searching for an apt description for that - that - whatever "that" is. That one seemed to fit for the moment. Maybe I shouldn't find out what it *really* represents 'cause I entertain myself making up names for it. :D

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.