Port explorer , Server priveleges ??

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by asdf, Feb 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asdf

asdf Registered Member

o_O Hi ,
    ZA Pro blocks PE from receiving connections from the net.I give PE internet and trusted zone access,isn't that enough to run the program smoothly?
    Do i have to give it server access too?
    journey

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I would suggest you try it, Port Explorer needs low level access to your network system so if you block it in your firewall you will need to let Port Explorer in. Report back with any findings.
    -Jason-

3. asdf

asdf Registered Member

OK ,
    I allowed server priveledges and ZA looking good.Do i have to uninstall prior to upggrading to PE 1.5 or is there an update feature? :p

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hello Journey.
    When V1.5 is released it will over install your current version and should be available through PE's update facility.

5. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

Re:port explorer , Server privileges ??

I have blocked PE and all other programs from acting as an internet server, with no ill effects. After all do you really want any of your programs accepting connections from every Tom, Dick, and Harry around the world?

Seriously unless you are running a web server all of your apps can be blocked.

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Disciple, What you say is true but PE only accesses the net by your request, Yours, not Tom, Dicks or Harrys - PE can do only Who is, Trace route etc.
    It does watch everything else that accesses the net but not as a server.
    So what is your problem? There is nothing wrong with something acting as a server (your words) if the request is yours & valid?
    Anyway you can also add the PE PID to Socket Spy & sniff the packets, again no problem there. If you want to be totally safe don't use the web :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.