Port explorer does not like vcguard

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by leppy, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leppy

leppy Registered Member

Hi
    After installing port explorer a program called vcguard ( www.shinkaiho.com/ ) throws up multiple errors when using yahoo chat.
    vcguard prevents large voice packets from lagging voice on messenger clients...problem is it just throws up a box saying ERROR! & nothing else (the box will open up multiple times if people are speaking on the mike although you will hear nothing.
    port explorer does not have to be running for it to crash vcguard it only has to be installed.
    I'm thinking it may be down to port explorer or a dll it installs intercepting the connections to the yahoo voice servers (or any ip for that matter) even when its not running.
    Or to put it bluntly....i think the new build of PE is a tad buggy.
    Can someone please point me towards an earlier version of PE so i might test that it is this new dll diamondcs are using :)
    --------------
    Ive just noticed this post.

You are right, dcsw2.dll is used by port explorer to monitor TCP & UDP connections made by your browser
    --------------

vcguard also monitors TCP & UDP connections & i believe they are conflicting with each other.
    So....this would mean that port explorer monitors even when it has not been started by the user...or am i wrong?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2006
  2. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Hi,

To my knowlege the portexplorer.exe process is not running unless loaded at boot. so it is not possible without having either a process or a service hookup loaded in memory to scan the memory and thus cause the interference you stated. Unless the component is sheilded and is injected in the kernel like in a rootkit I cant see how this would be the cause.

Maybe try using ProcessExplorer from http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
    This tool allows you to view internal processes activities as well as which modules and thread it is processing in real time. It may prove useful in tracing the problem. Also you could consider using a debugger to trap the error and trace its cause.

I hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.