Port Explorer Discovery

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by Jo M, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jo M

Jo M Registered Member

Hi,

I have just purchased the Action Pack plus Process Guard. :cool:
    A few niggles but generally GREAT SOFTWARE! :D

I just tried out Socket Spy and plugged in process IDs of my Browser (Firefox), Email client (Thunderbird) and email filter Benign. Then I used them and observed what was going on. Really Really interesting!

The discovery I made was to do with email logins. I just hadn't realised that the passwords were forwarded as plain text! But there I saw them! And if I could see them then so could quite a few?

I have just been onto my ISP and they tell me that they don't support secure logins as yet but encouraged me to make a written comment on their site. I'm going to do that!!

What ISP's do support secure logins for email?

Is there any way that pressure can be brought on them to do so?? I thought perhaps a "chain mail", but that would definitely be classed as Spam? On the other hand if someone did do that then it would definitely be "ethical spam"!

I know that the option for secure logins for email has been there in the software for some years now so why isn't it being used yet? o_O

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Jo M, Thanks for the compliment:)
    Yes socket spy is quite an opener.
    Regarding your question about ISP's it may be better posted in the Other Security issues forum found here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44
    Where you will receive a much wider response.

Please post there regarding the secure email issue.

I shall close this thread now so that the responses will be all in one place.

Than you. Pilli :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.