Port Explorer conflict CommView ?

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by poogimmal, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poogimmal

poogimmal Registered Member

running Port Explorer 2.110 on w2k_sp4. tried to install packetsniffer CommView 5.1 and I cannot get CV to properly install or run. suggested somewhere else that PE might be causing conflict with CV. I note that PE works ok with ethereal. does anyone know if there is a PE CV conflict? & if so, how to fix.

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi poogimmal,

FWIW, I am not seeing any conflicts on my W2KSP4 virtual machine. I did clean installs (meaning no traces of pre-existing versions) of both PE 2.110 and CV 5.1. I threw WinPcap 3.1 and the latest Ethereal into the mix and saw no conflicts as well. I was able to run all three sniffers at the same time with no problems.

Nick

3. poogimmal

thanks! I'm wondering since my CV is demo, if it left some trace in to limit useage to 30 days, in reality I never ran it even one day. I could elaborate on installation problems, but now it sounds more like I need to hear back from CV. a little annoyed with them, I sent them email a few days ago and no reply.

4. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hope they resolve the problem for you, poogimmal. I have run CommView and PE side-by-side for a number of years now with no problems. I have only needed to interact with TamoSoft support once in 4+ years with good results. They sent me a custom .exe that fixed my issue until an official release. ATM I am playing with CV 5.1's new process sniffing filter and it is working nicely. It's a good app.

Nick

5. poogimmal

without going into the long version, cv 5.1 installed tonight without any installtion popup errors <g> *but* I'm still getting "error - could not start device driver" when I try to open cv. for now, I assume that's 30-day demo deadline issue ?? that tamosoft should be able to resolve so I can open, buy and register. I sent them a 2d message. the first message was sent to them 12jan, so I think it's about time for them to reply to me. given the cost of cv, you think they'd be eager to assist new users...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.