Port Attacks, how ESET 5 handles the threat

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by SpenceQ, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpenceQ

SpenceQ Registered Member

Hi Everyone!

First Post.

On occasion I get a red ESET 5 message popup that a port is being attacked. It is a Chinese origin.

My question is, is this something I need to take care of, or is it telling me ESET is handling the problem?.

I had already set up a Web Access Protection to block out a range of ports that included the ISP it reported.

So why notify me if I already set it up to block it? Can't understand what is happening here.

Thanks for the help.

Spence

2. HealingStargate

HealingStargate Registered Member

I get the same 'port scan' notice. A very persistent group or individual.
    To my understanding it is just showing an 'attempted' attack and that there was no response from my computer, no open ports.
    As I understand it, NO PROBLEM.
    I know ESET has done its job.
    KOR-

3. SpenceQ

SpenceQ Registered Member

HealingStargate:

That was my feeling also. Thanks for the help. :)

Blocking out huge segments of IP's in ESET will eventually get me in trouble of course when I notice I can't access my regular sites.

The problem with this facility is when the troublemakers start to use proxies, then no blocking is possible. Since this chinese group uses the same 2 IP's all the time to target america, I guess they feel confident no one can go over and give them a bleeding nose.

What we need is a reverse damage system. We gotta beat them by their own method and that is just has possible for them has for us.

Spence

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.