Pop3 and Port 995 SSL

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by colin1951uk, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colin1951uk

colin1951uk Registered Member

Hello there,

One of my pop3 email addresses has just been updated from the standard Port 110 to Port 995 SSL and I now notice that NOD32 doesn't scan any messages received from that SSL port.

I looked in the Help Directory and see indeed that NOD32 can't detect SSL ports which looks to be a problem for me.

However I would have thought that once my email client (in my case Foxmail) has decoded any SSL message and downloaded it to my drive that Nod32 would check the detail of that message then.

Surely Nod32 checks all detail on a drive for viruses etc..even if those details are contained within an email client.

Is this not the case..or am I going to be open to threats with this SSL account I now have to use.

Colin

2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

NOD32 does not scan SSL-encrypted traffic, however, any files saved (written to the disk) would then be scanned.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Maybe an SSL wrapper, such as Stunnel would be the answer.

4. colin1951uk

colin1951uk Registered Member

Well so far I've received ten messages on this new SSL arrangement and none have had the Nod signature like this at the bottom:-

__________ NOD32 3381 (20080822) Information __________

This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
    http://www.eset.com

This worries me and all of a sudden I'm going off Nod32.

I just reinstalled Norton 2003 (which I'd been using untill I got a trial of Nod 2.70 going) and it's picking up any number of test messages that I send via the SSL address.

I'm not sure what to think now.

Never heard of Stunnnel but I'll give a go and see if it makes any difference..if not I think paying out for Nod32 wouldn't be the way to go from here.

Cheers...Colin

5. BFG

BFG Registered Member

Hello,

As IMON isn't scanning them there won't be a tag message.

As soon as they hit the drive AMON scanned them though.

Thank you,
    BFG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.