"Pop-ups add new twist" question.

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Ghost, Dec 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Guest

After reading that article ( http://news.com.com/2100-1023-978616.html?tag=fd_top ), I was wondering if you've examined the method by which the 'kick through' works, and whether or not a defense against it could be incorporated into one of the "Blaster" programs.

2. snowman

snowman Guest

*But a relatively new feature may make it harder for people to avoid these windows. Using a technique called the "kick through," advertisers can direct a person to another Web site if they simply move their cursor across the pop-up ad--no clicking is necessary. *

Ghost...best of season wishes to you.......just read the article........is this just the "mouseover" effect ? Later I'll try to locate a website thats using it.......curious.

best

snowman

3. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

It does sound like a simple "mouseover" effect - if you do locate a site with these, I'll gladly take a look at it. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

4. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Hi, snowman! Sounds like a variation on the "mouse-over" technique, but I'm not tehcnically-savvy enough to take it apart and examine its' innards - that's why I was hoping Javacool could do so.

The best to you, too, my friend.

5. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Jc - Tried to get something to happen at both the ESPN and NYT sites, but I think that I'm already protected against whatever it is due to the use of OutPost, Agnis f/OP, IE-Spy-Ad, etc.

Couldn't get anything to happen (of course, I couldn't get to ESPN at all, so that doesn't count!).

Of course, I don't have a test computer, either.

6. snowman

snowman Guest

JavaCool

I just checked out <espn> one of the websites listed as using this exploit........an the exploit failed..no pop-ups........so the pop-ups can be blocked. One thing I did pick up before the website the the two-step.....hidden under one of the ads was <go to msn.com>. Java is extensively used at the above site .

Merry Christmas JavaCool........

Ghost......the pop-ups can be blocked....hope this helps

best

snowman

7. snowman

snowman Guest

Ghost

As you can see from my post I did get into the site...even with java disabled.....but most everything was blank.......due to other reasons of security.

Glad you are able to block the pops.....

snowman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.