Pop from SpyNet re:Bzone

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by emmjay, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

This morning I received a popup from MS Security Essentials which I have never seen before (I have had MSE installed ever since it was first announced). It stated that it wanted me to send C:\program files\BufferZone\ClientGUI (.exe files) to MS to determine if the files are malicious (I think this is a Microsoft SptNet function). I have had BufferZone Pro installed and active on this PC for at least 2 years, so I was surprised that this would now be an issue.

I chose not to send the files. I am not sure if the request was legit or not.

I am not sure what MSE would do if SpyNet determined the exe files malicious. If they took action would it just be to quarantine the exe (at most)? Could they put it in their virus def files and prevent the application from functioning altogether? Hope they aren't targeting my sandbox capability.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

emmjay, should you wish to do so, perhaps you could use this Submit A Sample form and tick the I believe this file should not be detected as malware box. Besides stating what happened, give them all the System Information displayed in Help > About Security Essentials. They'll respond.

3. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx for your reply. I was not looking for a way to send these files to MSE (I never like responding to popups like this especially when they want me to send them files), however, tnx for the links. Targeting the ClientGUI exe files of a sandbox application just seemed strange to me (virtual files I can understand, but not the application itself). A full scan by MSE today revealed nothing. I also ran a MBAM full scan and a hitmanpro full scan and they all ran clean.
    The popup may have not been ligit. Glad I did not send anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.