Poor Windows users

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Hmm. After a long pause for contemplation...

I deleted what I had wrote. I don't feel anything I write to explain further will ever change the way you take what I try to convey, at least on this topic. That is ok, different strokes for different folks they say.

Perhaps I cannot convey what I feel properly, so I shall just leave it that I feel UAC is a good tool in the right hands, but that M$ should have taken a different approach starting with vista that did not include UAC for the average user, a stance that would have been more painful for the users because of having to learn somthing, but a stance that would actually have been for the best.

Sul.

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

That's fair enough. To each his own opinion.

Historically, though, annoying users has never truly led to anything productive. HIPS remains a marginalized class of security software, even though it has existed since the DOS days. For all its mindshare, the percentage of Firefox users who install NoScript are minimal. Linux struggles at 1% desktop share compared to Windows and Mac - though that is gradually changing, with many distros focusing on ease of use. Even when you introduce a "sugar coat" (to use your own term) like UAC, people still ask for ways to turn it off.

The way to get users to learn is to convince them that the benefits they gain from the knowledge is worth the effort spent to obtain it. Unless they have an innate interest in it as geeks, presenting annoying software to users has never yielded good results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.