Poor coding

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by 3GUSER, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

A user in another forum tried to persuade me how good Panda was.
    Even though I regularly test different big av products and I was 100% sure that the bear is bear and can't turn into butterfly , I decided to test myself once again . At the end I just prooved myself that the bear is still that big bear.

I downloaded Panda 2011 Antivirus Pro from their servers .
    Installed it on my Windows 7 HomePremium - fully updated with no other security software.

At first when I saw the installer about 68 MB , I though it would be compact . A mistake . After a custom install with no Panda firewall (which went fast) the problems started . The GUI crashed immediately for no reason - I could just open it but nothing else.
    1.png

I decided to give the computer restart . After rebooting the machine (the reboot was slow , by the way) I managed to update the program .

The update was extrememly slow - the download itself fast but it was rebuiling the update file at the end . It was so long that I though it has also hung out.

When it finished and I tried to open Panda's settings , the GUI again stopped working.

When I open Microsoft Process Explorer I can see about 12 processes eating my resourses.
    2.png
    About 10 minutes after program's install , it started with ads offering me buy the product . Can a user test a trial version for 10 minutes and decide if the software is good or not to advertise them ?!

When I started IE to open some pages , it took a lot . When I continued browsing , pages loaded so slow that I gave up.

Additionally , I find it strange that the program's kernel wanted to open a hole in my firewall (why does it need this?)
    3.png
    The company might have good malware database (in the cloud) but the software sucks! This is bad coding , imo . 12 processes for what - for slow computer and bad user experience.

2. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Another screenshot
    4.png

The image was created yesterday with no antivirus/security products , Windows Defender disabled.
    The 3rd party software was MS Office 2007+SP2 , Foxit Reader , CCleaner , Autoruns , Process xp , WinRAR , Adobe's Flash player
    Windows 7 Home Premium , 3 GB RAM , 2 GHz process Intel Core2 Duo

3. progress

progress Guest

:D Well done Panda :D

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ Kees1958

Yeah that Delerium - Silence track is fab :thumb:

5. slider916

slider916 Registered Member

I was on their site, and their software is very expensive as well.

6. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

-3Guser

I would PM Pbust and see if he can get someone to look into the UI crash

-To those talking about the processes

Like I have said before why worry about the processes numbers? Its all different code styles.

7. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

Funny thing is that the add do appear even if you buy the product. The office I work they have panda. And it's showing adds about the new version even though the program is registered.

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

@3G- Thanks for posting this. Your post steered me far away from trying this AV.

9. Barthez

Barthez Registered Member

I was testing trial version of Panda 2010 line some time ago and except some problems with FPs and some other minor GUI bug (some parts of scanning info could take more space inside window) i didn't encounter any serious bugs. Panda was running smooth.

Maybe they incorporated some major changes to their products in order to get 2011 line out. I don't know if this product is stable or beta, but OP should contact Panda though mail and present his findings there. I'm more then certain that someone will want to look at this.

HTH

10. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

You both have it , check the channel

You're welcome!

@Barthez

The current version is non-beta (final) and is on sale.

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have given panda SO MANY chances in the past few years and i can say i agree with most of what you said. even if its a great av detection wise i would never let it find its way onto my main systems. i tested 2010 and 2011 and both were BLOATED imo. slowed down the system, used a lot of ram and all those procc's are just crazy imo.. i also dont like how it installs things all over like adding a icon to control panel etc....

12. progress

progress Guest

Does Panda IS 2011 still auto-delete suspicious files? :rolleyes:

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I tested the 2010 version a few months ago.
    In my experience it was flawless for the period of time that i tested it :D

14. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

GUI Crashed?

Strange !! During my thorough testing on Windows XP, and 7 it didn't crashed nor my system got hanged.. And if you are talking about 12 Process then i would like to know what's wrong in it? I haven't faced any kind of slow downs because of those so called 12 process...

Secondly if you do try to install Modern AV's in a slow system, then surely it will create lots n lots of problem... I know that you will gonna tell me about another AV's which won't slow down system, but keep in mind that exceptions are always there, but if you still install those so called exceptions in a slow system , then they will also slow down your system...

15. AvinashR

YES it does auto-delete suspicious files...

16. progress

progress Guest

:mad: Thank you :mad:

17. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

If you consider my DELL Vostro (produced precisely 10 months ago - at the end of 2009 , with 2 Ghz dual core processor + 3 GB RAM) a slow system , then we can say that Panda is the only modern antivirus software

18. progress

progress Guest

@3GUSER

You need a nuclear power plant to satisfy the Panda :D

19. AvinashR

Nuclear Power Plant?

BTW my system is also not a super computer, it is a customized PC with Core2Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz and 3GB RAM, and it worked quite good..without any slowdowns

20. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

He means extremely fast turbo computer from the future :p

I am not saying anything against your experience with Panda. Just next time you try Panda , make something like this thread with screenshots (or may be a video) and proove it :)

21. AvinashR

I have already tested this...And have also posted scree-shots .. I guess you missed my thread.

22. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

This one:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=278195&page=1&highlight=Panda 2011 ?

I haven't missed it - as you can see I posted in it. But it sounds like you announce Panda 2011 - not like your test of the product and you don't post all things (like the ad I noticed).

23. AvinashR

LOL.. No comments.

For your information you can block those so called Ads through settings...Just do some research on the product, and you'll find the setting box. As far as my testing is concerned you are very much free to post comments on that.. :)

24. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

A couple of OT posts removed.

Folks - leave the nationalistic details/tendencies at the door. They are not relevant to the discussion. Thanks in advance.

Blue

25. dr pan k

dr pan k Registered Member

tried it on my 2.26 GHz 4GB ram not more than 3 weeks ago. had no slow downs but a huge amount of FP's, 5 within the first 2 min of scan. stoped the scan and had to restore those fp's back to life... it crippled some of my tools...not very satisfied to be honest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.