Pondering a Macbook Air

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Cruise, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Hey Scott,

Thanks for getting back to me on the keyboard issues. I'm not sure whether or not those differences would be that annoying to me (maybe the DEL thing)?

The larger issues I have in considering a Macbook Air (for travelling) are the disadvantages of running Win7 on it. I'd like to do that as in that way I'd be able to run my Windows version of MS Office on it and sync with my desktop's Word and Outlook files (I'm not sure that's doable running the Mac version of MS Office). :doubt:

Cruise

2. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

Cruise,

Given that Windows and OS X use entirely different file systems I don't see how files of MS Word/Outlook running under Windows can be synced with files of Word/Outlook running under OS X. If that's a necessity you definitely need to run Windows on the MacBook as your primary OS. With Windows coexisting with OS X I believe you will quickly consume most of the available space on the 128GB SSD, so you would either have to remove OS X, iLife, etc., or opt for the larger (and much more expensive) SSD.

Also, in the event that you currently use a USB 3.0 external drive for backup, or other USB 3.0 devices, be aware that the MacBook Air doesn't support USB 3.0 (just USB 2.0).

I think you are beginning to see the many reasons I believe an Ultrabook is the answer for your needs and not a MacBook Air!

Scott

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  3. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Scott,

You make a good case - I'm convinced. ;)

Thanks very much for saving me the aggravation.

Cruise

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.