Policy Mode - Can't View Web Pages

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Verye, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Verye

Verye Registered Member

I have Eset Smart Security 3.0.650.0

I'm trying to open port 81 through the firewall. Specifically, I am trying to get a remote desktop program to work properly. It only works when I completely turn my firewall off, but obviously I can't do that all the time or it leaves me at risk.

I switch to policy-based mode and add the port, however, every single time I do this, no websites will load. It doesn't even matter what port I add, either. Policy-based mode just makes me unable to view websites. I'm using Mozilla Firefox 3, by the way.

As soon as I switch back to Automatic mode, I can view all of them again.

Interactive mode would probably help, but I hate having to alt+tab out of all my games and apps every time I run something that sends or receives something to/from the internet. It gets really annoying and tedious. I'd like to leave interactive mode as a last resort.

Anyone know why this might be happening? Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

You are running an older version of ESET Smart Security, which may account for the issue. What I would suggest is that you update to the current build, v3.0.684.0, and then repeat the test.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. Verye

Verye Registered Member

Thanks, that seemed to have fixed the issue of me losing my connection, but opening port 81 did not allow me to connect with my application.

I am attempting to connect to my laptop, which is in another room in my house, with a remote desktop program. The program uses port 81. If I completely disable my firewall, it connects fine. I added a rule for bidirectional communication with port 81 (port 81 added under local and remote), TCP and UDP, and I selected the application for the rule, but the program still won't connect unless I turn the firewall off.

Do I need to add a trusted zone too or something? I'm so confused. :(

Should I just create a whole new thread regarding this, since it's a separate issue?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.