Police Use of Minority Report-Style Pre-Crime Tech Raises Inaccuracy Concerns

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by guest, Jun 15, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

Police Use of Minority Report-Style Pre-Crime Tech Raises Inaccuracy Concerns
    June 15, 2018
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ne...le-pre-crime-tech-raises-inaccuracy-concerns/

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

With embrace of video surveillance plus development of AI-like systems, this is inevitable. The panopticon is truly upon us :eek:

Maybe, eventually, essentially an AI god. Hopefully at least somewhat benevolent.

3. XenMan

XenMan Registered Member

I know there is no real point to replying with a sensible response…but I’ll bite.

These things already happen, as name checks are done in advance with reference to priors when responding to requests and executing warrants. Stats are also used for numbers of police stationed in areas. The use of previous criminal activity is accurate, as someone who has no priors is different to deal with than those with convictions; based on my experience, not bias.

Policing is very slow to change how they operate. There are numerous published papers which have excellent alternative approaches to policing, with few implemented. If you read the full article it is nothing like ‘The Minority Report’, but of course is not perfect with both good and bad.

The bad is the possible feedback from better attention to some areas creating higher stats, to the neglect of others; as highlighted. Of course there is the human error with bad algorithms, political interference and unworkable situations for police on the ground.

The good is that it can support an alternative approach to just responding to crime. Policing suffers from a lack proactive action such as disruption, addressing the ‘public interest’ of prosecuting certain offences, engagement with other agencies that can take a joint or primary role, and the biggest one of all, the recognition by the government of the neglect to certain communities which have high rates of recidivism due to disadvantage.

4. guest

guest Guest

Indian Police Adding Pre-Crime Software To Their Long List Of Snooping Tools
    August 30, 2018
    https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...tware-to-their-long-list-snooping-tools.shtml

5. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I don't believe in God for a good reason . Because I believe it is impossible for someone to be all-powerful and all-knowing without being **** and power -hungry, control freak.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Well, that's gods for you ;)

I highly recommend Matthew Stover's novels (except for the Star Wars stuff). His first two, Iron Dawn and Jericho Moon, take place in the Middle East, on the eastern edge of the Egyptian Empire, a decade or so after the Trojan War ended. Jericho Moon is basically about the Maccabee Revolution, from the Seleucid perspective. The Maccabees come off basically as devil worshipers ;) But the writing is somewhat leaden. Much better is his Caine series: Heroes Die, Blade of Tyshalle, Caine Black Knife, and Caine's Law. Caine's Law is basically Crowley's Law, plus extreme violence.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.