pointless features.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, May 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Most software vendors seem they are always in search of adding something extra to heap into their already reliable products instead of optimizing & perfecting what they already have coded.

Sure theirs room in their blueprints to integrate a totally new introduction of some sort but time and again you can see where these have led to issues and in the end users case, disappointment.

I'm still not sold on adding HIPS to what used to be strickly firewall apps, but if they can integrate them reliably then i see no real problem with them, but most users can become sidetracked with those type additions and completely lose focus on what that app specialized on in the first place.

And Suites to me are simply overexaggerated because a crafty malware writer can reverse it to the point of bringing down the entire grid of what it as designed to do for overall security IMO.

Still, we can't forget that these separate additions also have to run in a perfect circuit of reliable communications with their other internal sister counterparts.

2. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Onecare started what, 2-3 years ago? Norton Systemworks and other craptastic suites have been doing this for almost a decade.

Frankly, I'm kind of torn... I'd love to have 3 dedicated programs that hold my utmost confidence, though a suite that holds a powerful firewall, AV, HIPS and anti-malware (and JUST those) would be great as well. On the one hand, you have ease of use if it's a suite. On the other hand, if a piece of malware forces your suite to shut down, you lose ALL your defenses.

Simple fact is, nothing is, was, or will be perfect. Well, besides Linux ;) Sad, no?

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

They don't treat these programs as simple antivirus . They treat them as all-in-one solutions that many will use . The majority of people don't know how a computer should be run so that these companies are trying to reach a market (very big one , actually) , which is supposed to be successful.

Of course , not a single suit can make things better than a person can manually do witth a specific application , but still the majority don't understand it. If I have such an application installed , there will be nothing left for me to do and I will live in an uncertainty because I haven't seen it with my eyes exactly what the application have done (e.g. have it backed-up really everything , where have it placed it , etc...)

4. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

True. The irony is that those who prefer your approach are generally, because of better awareness of such things, less likely to have an encounter (an accidental encounter, anyway) with malware.
    Can't remember the last time I managed to download something bad...(touches wood)

5. andylau

andylau Registered Member

How much features they give,
    not much features I want.:D

Therefore, I only choose AV that has custom installation which for me to choose the function that I want.:p

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

The problem with pointless features is that they cannot be easily disabled. Most of these products are so complex - and coded in such a way - that true modularity is not possible.

I have no problem with something that has 23 features, if you can disable each and every one independently. But that's often not the case.

You get stuck with semi-working, semi-disabled half-modules, taking 500% more resources because of the way it all fits together in one giant messy mesh.

Mrk

7. Teknokrat

Teknokrat Registered Member

You could have all detected virii and malwares show up as space invaders and clean them by shooting at them - if they reach the bottom your PC is smoked?:blink:

Taito Anti Invader? Business and pleasure combined.
    Nah... well, it was just a thought. :blink:

Got to agree with those in favour of a simple and efficient AV w/o all the bells & whistles...
    I understand the idea of suites and additional features but it would be equally great if the vendors would offer a clean core AV as an alternative.

regards,
    T

8. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I agree totally,I think eset is one for Example Has good choices for example.
    1.You have the option of a AV/AS/Email protection.
    2.You have the option of a Av/AS/Email protection.antispam and firewall.

Then theres is the kitchen sink package from some others.
    1.you have the option of a the whole package.
    2.you have the option of No option.

9. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

The so-called 'new features' most of them are programs you can get for free. Take online storage for instance, look at bullguards price! People may have these programs already, and I just feel its the market competing with each other, feeding on inexperinced users.

10. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

I suspect Symantec and McAfee and M$ think most users are complete dummies in terms of knowing how to do anything. So,,,

The last thing I would do is backup my important files with a product that will force me to use their product to do backup and restore, whether or not the backup is on or offline..

I am looking into WLOC, but won't use the backup.

11. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Yeah, but also, mcafee has a suite without the backup.
    virusscan. :p

12. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Agreed. And mine is...
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.