Plz suggest a Good Free Email Service besides Hotmail Gmail or Yahoo

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AaLF, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollingThunder

RollingThunder Registered Member

Dave:

I signed up a Yandex account just today and while there was a phone number dialog, I left it blank (entered nothing) and the account was created anyhow. So unlike G-mail you can blow it off. Of course G-mail does the phone verification nonsense in addition.

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I would not sign up for an email, which does not have a phone verification. Sure you can use an alternate email for a password recovery, but what if, you might need it once.

3. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

RollingThunder, you are correct. I signed up without a number and it was thankfully successful. :)

Tom, from a security standpoint I can certainly understand. However, cell phones are no longer safe from being abused as well as land lines. Also, there is the security concerns of giving very personal data like a phone number to a company you know little about and have never dealt with before. It's also an entirely different country with its own set of laws that may or may not be to your advantage as a citizen of another nation. I appreciate that I can apply a wait and see mindset to their service. If I grow to trust them and have no issues, then perhaps I will take that extra step.

4. RollingThunder

Tom:

I am a complete and total security nut. The less information I have to give out and verify the happier I am. I have close to 50 email accounts with username and passwords locked in a .txt file. I do email a lot for many different reasons. I have valid reasons for complete anonymity (honestly most people do not). Maybe that speaks to the difference. Phone verification to me is simply an invasion of my privacy.

5. RollingThunder

Matt:

I am going to modify that a little bit. I agree with almost all of what you said except for the if you live in Russia part. I don't trust America anymore. This is not the country I grew up in. I would say if you live in Russia your best bet would be to an email service abroad (other then US) that has good data-retention laws. American's now live in a system where the NSA and the US President both feel that they are above the law. Not a good combination.

6. Dave0291

Dave0291 Registered Member

If it was not required to have a Gmail account to set up my Android device and I could, I guess I could put it as "de-Google" my device, I would move away from Google as much as possible. For now, I've simply settled on changing my personal and business life to point to my newly acquired Yandex account and will let my Gmail account gather dust. Unfortunately once you give Google an open door, it's very hard to close it. All you can do is stop handing them something to look at. :(

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Let's keep the politics out of these threads. The topic of the thread is " Plz suggest a Good Free Email Service besides Hotmail Gmail or Yahoo".

8. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I don't use my Gmail account to send emails. It receives payment receipts when I purchase an app from Google Play, but I don't read those. On rare occasions I email an APK I've download to my Gmail account as I don't have any of my other email accounts setup on my phone, but that is the only time I ever use it.

9. RollingThunder

For all outgoing smtp traffic I use a .onion smtp server that is over an ssl link via thunderbird. The only exception to this is when I do not want the specific email in question to live on my local machine for whatever reason.

10. wasgij6

wasgij6 Registered Member

11. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

LOL :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.