Plug-ins problem

Discussion in 'MRU Blaster Forum' started by coscos, Jul 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coscos

coscos Registered Member

Every time I try to click the "plug-ins" button my screen freezes and when I try to shut MRU-Blaster my comp reboots. Plus when I click "Minimaze to tray" button error 28 pops up. Help please.

2. Black Swan

Black Swan Guest

Re:plug-ins & Scheduler problem

Same here. :(

And not only that, but I also made the mistake of unchecking the scheduler options during the first install, and then no matter how many times I uninstalled and reinstalled the programme, the scheduler would remain disabled. If I click on any of the buttons in the scheduler window, I get infinite little popups warning me of a "stack error" that multiply each time I try to close any one of them. o_O

I run Windows 98SE (recently installed DirectX 9.0a, and I wonder if this has anything to do with the problem?)

Apart from those two issues, MRU-Blaster runs just fine and even managed to reduce my user.dat file size from almost 900Kb to less than 700Kb. :cool:

3. Zidane

Zidane Registered Member

When I try to go to plugins, the plugin screen "almost freezes" - the computer is running, other aplications are running all right, but the PLUGIN SCREEN not - it takes all free "processor time" and I dont know what it is doing - I tried to let it "work" and go to sleep - and even after A FEW HOURS there was not the plugin screen and God knows what was MRU Blaster doing...

4. BlackSwan

BlackSwan Registered Member

When I click on the Plugins button, the Plugins screen tries to appear but only its outline becomes visible. Just like you, I decided to "let it work" just to see what it would do. When the time it took was beginning to get unreasonable, I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and tried to shut MRU-B down. The result was that everything froze completely, and when I hit Ctrl-Atl-Del again, the PC rebooted.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the abnormal shutdown of the programme or the PC reboot, but when Windows started again the normal Recycled icon had been replaced by that of a regular folder in both my HDs. I had to use the Rebuild Icons and Repair System Files features in TweakUI to bring the default icon back. :doubt:

I also wonder about this Stack Error the Scheduler causes, and its insistence on remaining disabled. Any ideas what the culprit might be? As I said, I run Win98SE, IE6 SP1 on a Pentium 4 with 256MB RAM and CPU 2.00GHz, with all available patches and recent security updates installed.

5. Zidane

Zidane Registered Member

Yes, I have the same problem - the Plugins Screen TRIES to appear, but only its outline is visible... I am happy I was able ONCE to go to Plugins and enable the Cookie Blaster and IE Temporary files Blaster - it was the only time I was able to go to Plugins...

WHERE IS THE PROBLEM? I have Win XP Pro, 1,2 GHz processor, 128 kB RAM and so on...

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Well this is VERY interesting.

I'll try changing a few things to see if it reduces or eliminates the problem for you, but I have been unable to reproduce it so far. (The changes will be included in the next MRU-Blaster database update.)

Out of curiousity, could anyone experiencing this problem please try downloading and installing the latest VB run-times? (Just to rule out a potential cause. TIA! :))

http://download.microsoft.com/download/vb60pro/Redist/sp5/WIN98Me/EN-US/vbrun60sp5.exe

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. Zidane

Zidane Registered Member

I will try and see... I wanna go to the Plugins and add more cookies to the Ignore list - some cookies are "good" and thanks to them I have not to login to some pages - the cookie remembers me and so I wanna keep it :) And when will be the next update? :)

8. javacool

I hope to have it ready soon, but I can't make any guarantees.

Best regards,

-Javacool

9. Zidane

Zidane Registered Member

Nothing changed so far, the screen tried to appear, appeared only its outline and the computer is working "full time" - the MRU B takes all free "processor time" and hell knows what is the program doing...

If I start some new application, it is no problem, the application takes some needed "processor time" from the MRU B, so I am able to work normally... the MRU B just takes "processor time" which is not used by other applications...

I know the MRU B will probably not stop and that I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL and shut the MRU B down...

But I think it may be neccessary to restart PC, so I will restart and then refer if something changed...

10. BlackSwan

Javacool, I already have vbrun60sp5 installed, so I guess this has nothing to do with the problem. I run a few other programmes that require it with no complications so far.

I recently upgraded DirectX from 8.1 to 9.0a and noticed that some applications behave in a slightly different way (others have been visibly sped up while others have slowed down). I am aware that this upgrade has caused various bugs in other systems. Could that be the case here?

Anyway, MRU-B is still doing a great job, since its main function (that of deleting MRUs) is impeccably performed. If only those two little bugs (the Plugins and Scheduler issues) were fixed, we could be talking about an absolutely perfect programme. :cool:

Thanks for the response. :) Waiting for the newest updates!

11. Zidane

Zidane Registered Member

After comp reboot "nihil novi sub sole " or in English "Nothing new" - the plugin problem persists and I am not able to go to Plugins and add more cookies to Ignore list and keep them... I like to "stay logged" in various discussion, forums and so on - if server enables to send me a cookie that will "remember" me and I will not have to login each time I go there - I use that function - and MRU B deletes the cookies, cos I am not able to go to Plugins and move them to Ignore list...

I hope Javacool will minimize the problem :)

12. Zidane

Zidane Registered Member

Btw - what is the "karma" here and what is its function? And how to take it up? :)

13. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Zidane,

Let me answer your "karma" question. (Others will hopefully answer your product questions.) ;)

Take a look at the image I've attached below. You see the circled link called [applaud]? When people feel that a certain post is above average, they hit that applaud link under the person's name and that causes the karma number to increase by one for the person being applauded.

You don't get the ability to do that until you have made 50 posts here. So, you don't currently see that link yourself.

I hope that explains it, :)
    LowWaterMark

Attached Files:

14. coscos

coscos Registered Member

I tried vbrun60sp5. exe. I didn't help.

15. Zidane

Zidane Registered Member

Thanx :) And what if some post is "under average" - in other words if it is puny, hopeless or stupid? :) Is there some "Thumbs down" link, where can I hit the link and therefore the karma of the poster will go down? :)))

16. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Zidane,

There was such a button, but some people mistook disagreeing with/disliking someone and posts being below average.
    So we removed that option.

Regards,

Pieter

17. HKLM

HKLM Registered Member

Same problem here with plugins. ("stack error") and the need for Ctrl-Alt-Del to terminate the program.

I am running Windows 98 SE, DirectX 8.1, IE5, 256 RAM, ATHLON 2000.
    Since the problem with plugins and scheduler appears on machines with windows 98 and windows XP Pro (at least from what the users say on this forum) and its not probably a VB problem or IE problem or DirectX problem could Javacool tell us on what kind of machines the scheduler and the plugins work? (is there the need for Java to be installed perhaps?)

18. Zidane

Zidane Registered Member

The "stack error"? I have not encountered this error anytime...

Minimize to tray? This option is only in MRU Blaster Scheduler, if I know correctly - and I can minimize the window all right... only the Plugins problem persist... grrr... I want to add some cookies to Ignore list, so they wouldnt be deleted and I will not have to login at various sites - many sites have the function - they send cookies that will remember my computer and I will not have to login again - and in this site too - I think this site has this function too - but each run of MRU B deletes all the cookies - I was able to go to the Plugins once and add three cookies to Ignore - and they are ignored all right - but I want to add another cookies - and I can not...

I have installed the thing you asked for - and no change... and I am not able to go to Plugins... I hope it will be resolved soon :)))))))

19. BlackSwan

I encounter this "Stack Error" whenever I try to do anything other with the Scheduler than shut it down. At the bottom of the Scheduler window there is a message saying that the Scheduler is disabled, although I repeatedly uninstalled and reinstalled the programme with both Scheduler options checked ("Run at Startup" and "Run silently at intervals"). I am unable to change any of its settings or even click on any of the buttons in its window. If I try, a little popup appears alerting of a "Stack Error". Try to close the popup, and the screen fills with a thousand of them! The only way to shut them down is press Ctrl-Alt-Del (which invariably freezes the PC) and then either you're lucky and the PC reboots if you hit Ctrl-Alt-Del again, or you just sit there forever with the frozen screen staring back at you, until you are forced to press the Restart button.

This is the one important issue. HKLM seems to have the same problem with the Scheduler, if I understand right. The other one is the Plugins freezing up (which appears to be more common). Maybe this does mainly affect users running Win98 or XP Pro, after all (although I rarely had any problems before with programmes that were supposed to be causing bugs in Win98, and specifically SE).

Could someone please help? Of course the moderators and the programme developers have a lot to deal with already, but it's a pity for some of the users to be unable to enjoy the full features of such a valuable application...

20. HKLM

HKLM Registered Member

For the MRU Blaster main program:

The "Go to Plugins " button seems to freeze everything as Zidane says but with Alt-Ctrl-Del MRU Blaster can be terminated.

The Scheduler shows the message

MRU-Blaster Scheduler
    ==================

Run-time error '28':
    Out of stack space

when one of the buttons "Save / Apply Changes", "Stop Timer" or Minimize to tray" is pressed.
    When the "OK" button is pressed on the popup there is another one with the same message (not infinite popups) and then the main window can close with the X button.
    But when the "Remove All Settings" button is pressed then the message "out of stack space" message keeps popping up
    and the solution is the Alt-Ctrl-Del .

I am attaching a combined snapshot of the popup and of the scheduler window after the popups are closed

Attached Files:

21. BlackSwan

Re:plug-ins & Scheduler problem SOLVED!

Just downloaded the latest updated version of MRU-B from the main page, installed it, and both problems are GONE! Miraculously vanished! It now works like a charm. Couldn't believe my eyes! :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you for fixing it. :cool:

BS

22. javacool

Re:plug-ins & Scheduler problem SOLVED!

I'm glad to hear it works for you now. :cool: (Thanks to everyone for posting detailed information on the problems!)

Best regards,

-Javacool

23. Zidane

Zidane Registered Member

Javacool:

Thank you :) I am too glad to report the problems vanished :) Both Cookie Blaster and IE Blaster are easy accesible now :)

Once more - THANK YOU :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.